Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:41 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,904 times

Advertisements

New Yorkers are rude, this is true. But not all, and not me. Things are different here, we don't just wave at a car going by, we don't make eye contact passing someone. Everything is fast paced. Some people are aggressive and just rude this is true. But I can honestly say there are some great New Yorkers. We see that here too.

It saddens me that the rest of the county just thinks we are all that way. Or, they don't understand why we would want to relocate to a better place for our children. We are Americans up here. My husband served 13 years in the military, 8 of them active. My dad did too....we are proud of and love our county.

When we were looking around there last week someone mentioned that if we shop in the town of Rolesville not to speak, as we sound NY and it isn't received well. We were considering Rolesville at one point, and we never experinced that personally but still....how else can I sound when I was born and raised here and have lived and worked in every borough of NYC except the Bronx?

When I was growing up, I lived in a 4 room, 870 sq foot row house with the stoop and all. All of my childhood friends were from another county, or were first generation born here. My grandparents came to this county, my parents were first generation and grew up dirt poor with mothers working (in Manhattan) factories at the age of 12 before labor laws. That made me second generation in the USA. My friends and my neighbors all were greatful to have been able to come to America, and I never took offense if they told me a story of their county. I enjoyed listening to them. They were from Greece, Italy, China, Malta, Hungry, Puerto Rico, Argentina, Korea, Columbia and Poland.

So far on the numerous trips down we have been received very, very well! We look forward to our relocation and want the best for your daughters. We think your area is going to be a great fit for us! However, it seems that some people have a real hang up with New Yorkers and I think, that is sad.

And on that note I will close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 09:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
How do you think Southerners feel when they shop in NY (or elsewhere outside of the South)? Would you rather be stereotyped as rude or stupid?

Neither is acceptable of course, but regional biases do persist ...

Old 02-28-2014, 09:47 AM

30 posts, read 55,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
New Yorkers are rude, this is true. But not all, and not me. Things are different here, we don't just wave at a car going by, we don't make eye contact passing someone. Everything is fast paced. Some people are aggressive and just rude this is true. But I can honestly say there are some great New Yorkers. We see that here too.

It saddens me that the rest of the county just thinks we are all that way. Or, they don't understand why we would want to relocate to a better place for our children. We are Americans up here. My husband served 13 years in the military, 8 of them active. My dad did too....we are proud of and love our county.

When we were looking around there last week someone mentioned that if we shop in the town of Rolesville not to speak, as we sound NY and it isn't received well. We were considering Rolesville at one point, and we never experinced that personally but still....how else can I sound when I was born and raised here and have lived and worked in every borough of NYC except the Bronx?

When I was growing up, I lived in a 4 room, 870 sq foot row house with the stoop and all. All of my childhood friends were from another county, or were first generation born here. My grandparents came to this county, my parents were first generation and grew up dirt poor with mothers working (in Manhattan) factories at the age of 12 before labor laws. That made me second generation in the USA. My friends and my neighbors all were greatful to have been able to come to America, and I never took offense if they told me a story of their county. I enjoyed listening to them. They were from Greece, Italy, China, Malta, Hungry, Puerto Rico, Argentina, Korea, Columbia and Poland.

So far on the numerous trips down we have been received very, very well! We look forward to our relocation and want the best for your daughters. We think your area is going to be a great fit for us! However, it seems that some people have a real hang up with New Yorkers and I think, that is sad.

Wow...as a neighbor from northern NJ, I am surprised to hear this. Of course, I'm fully aware of some of the views people in the triangle hold of "Yankees" but for someone to tell you to not speak, I'm very surprised. My sister and her young family have lived in Raleigh for 7 yrs with no such experience...so I hope hearing that helps ease your mind. The whole area is filled with ppl who have relocated. When I was looking for apartments there with my husband, the worst we got was, "So is everyone really like the ppl on the Jersey Shore show?" I just found that funny though haha. Try not to let those comments get to you because I don't think it represents the majority of the population. Good luck!

Old 02-28-2014, 09:53 AM

100 posts, read 136,241 times
Quote:

At first,

I thought this was a poem

Old 02-28-2014, 09:56 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oouie433 View Post
At first,

So did I.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:10 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,573 times
Quote:
New Yorkers are rude, this is true. ... we sound NY and it isn't received well.
New Yorkers sound rude. We do. You can't help it any more than I can. We will never completely lose that accent, that hard-edged nasal tone. What you can do is make a conscious effort to choose your words carefully. Bend over backwards to be extra-polite. Try to complain less, even if the complaint is justified. What seems like an affectation to you will sound almost right to a native Carolinian. Almost.

Now, there is another side to this coin. In small towns the native attitude is that you must have all four grandparents in the local church cemetery or else you are a newcomer, an outsider, an unwelcome transient. That's not Southern Hospitality, not at all.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
How do you think Southerners feel when they shop in NY (or elsewhere outside of the South)? Would you rather be stereotyped as rude or stupid?

Neither is acceptable of course, but regional biases do persist ...

True true. When I moved to Chicagoland, people thought I was from Georgia.

And... funniest comment I got while there was "I wish I had an accent like you!" (say that in a female, midwestern Chicago-type accent)... the girl's mom said "Honey? You do."

Kid was so perplexed.

My accent was forever changed by just one year of living there because so many people could NOT understand my accent.

I had to alter it for them.

I worked at a company that did utilization reviews for insurance companies. My coworkers made me call on all the hospitals in the South. Which was amusing because I called on hospitals from the rest of the country, too... and had no trouble understanding regional accents.

Maybe it's because I grew up in the Triangle, surrounded by the children of IBMers, but accents don't befuddle me.

I don't mind a NE accent in the slightest (I welcome variety, in fact), unless it's attached to someone who is complaining loudly about how we don't have <insert thing that they swear is better in wherever they're from>. Complain about it at home. I didn't walk around Naperville griping loudly in restaurants because they didn't have soft dinner rolls or sweet tea.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:16 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
Solve problem by moving to Raleigh,Cary,Wake Forest. Plenty of NY accents there. Rolesville - 1 great family the rest of us +1.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:21 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oouie433 View Post
At first,

Yeah I wasn't sure what the OP was getting at and then I realized it was just random thoughts.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
New Yorkers sound rude. We do. You can't help it any more than I can. We will never completely lose that accent, that hard-edged nasal tone. What you can do is make a conscious effort to choose your words carefully. Bend over backwards to be extra-polite. Try to complain less, even if the complaint is justified. What seems like an affectation to you will sound almost right to a native Carolinian. Almost.

Now, there is another side to this coin. In small towns the native attitude is that you must have all four grandparents in the local church cemetery or else you are a newcomer, an outsider, an unwelcome transient. That's not Southern Hospitality, not at all.

Alas, in the towns you describe, I am also an outsider. And I was born and raised in NC.

Just not those particular towns. Some of the tiny towns in the mountains make me feel a bit like I'm from another planet. Especially since I'm not much of a snake handler... well, maybe boa constrictors, but other than that.

Also... it's not the accent as much as what's coming out of a person's mouth. Slow down, ask politely when doing business... smile... you know... the stuff that you tend not to do so much in the city.

It does make a huge difference. We had an older guy near us who was from NYC that used to work at one of the local Starbucks. I think he was a retiree (we made small talk when they were slow). He was incredibly pleasant. Had quite the accent, but it was nice to hear, really. He also was very clear that he moved here to relax and get out of the city... he seemed to be doing just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary