U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-03-2007, 02:05 PM

212 posts, read 608,206 times
Default Sell now or after Christmas

Any thoughts if it would be better to wait until right after the holidays to put our house up for sale. I have a hunch to wait until January, but we are anxious to get it sold.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-03-2007, 02:11 PM

523 posts, read 1,132,933 times
I'm not a realtor, but I would think there is not a lot of activity between now and Christmas. However, anyone who is looking now probably REALLY needs a house and is a serious buyer. If you can deal with keeping your house ready to show through the holidays, why not list it now? It can't hurt, and you don't want to miss a potential buyer.

Unread 12-03-2007, 02:11 PM

4,885 posts, read 6,727,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie741 View Post
Any thoughts if it would be better to wait until right after the holidays to put our house up for sale. I have a hunch to wait until January, but we are anxious to get it sold.
Thanks.
I'm not a realtor, but if it was me, and if you can handle showings during the holidays, I would list now. I was told that most people that schedule showings this time of the year are serious shoppers. Our house was on the market in Dec. a few years ago. We ended up closing on Dec. 29th. It wasn't ideal, but at least it was over and we got to move into our new house in time for New Year's!

Good luck!

(Oops! sundaze and I posted at the same exact time. Great minds think alike! )

Unread 12-04-2007, 01:55 PM

351 posts, read 408,606 times
Default It's Hard to Tell

I'm not sure if the market is the same in this area. But, we listed our house in NJ on 11/1 last year. Activity was really slow for the first six weeks and we considered temporarily pulling the listing for the holidays. We didn't. Then with a stroke of good luck, the number of showings between Christmas and New Year went through the roof. Two buyers who saw it during that time got into a small bidding war in the 1st week of January.

Unread 12-04-2007, 02:17 PM

139 posts, read 412,214 times
Default List now! Serious buyers, less inventory!

Hi, I am living in NY and will be moving to NC in a few months. I work in the industry and suggest listing now. Yes, there is what people call a "slow down" around the holidays, but as suggested above the serious buyers are out there. Also, many people plan to list their houses in Jan/Feb (spring in real estate starts in Feb. at least here in NY it does) which means more buyers BUT there is also a lot more inventory for the buyer to choose from. If you are ready to rock and roll, I say go for it, just try to get your rest because between the holidays, showings, and extra cleaning for those showings you will need your energy level high! Good luck!

Unread 12-04-2007, 03:32 PM

164 posts, read 457,733 times
My fiance and I put our house in Maryland up for sale in February and it sold in 2 days. good luck

Unread 12-04-2007, 04:32 PM

1,989 posts, read 3,425,306 times
We just bought a house and close in two weeks!! We're heading out of town the day after we close! How crazy is that? I guess we were serious buyers.

Unread 12-04-2007, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,441 times
Default List NOW!!

Hey Sandycat!

Yes, list your home now! Serious buyers are looking now - you will not get a ton of showings yet they will be true blue buyers not tire kickers! Good Luck!

Relos move into this area in January - get your home on the market before everyone else does in Feb - March

Moderator cut: no signatures as described in TOS

Unread 12-04-2007, 05:42 PM

3,021 posts, read 6,965,127 times
It's fascinating to hear so many people say to go ahead and list the house. I'm still fairly new to the world of real estate, but I always heard that the holiday season was the hardest time to sell.

I would imagine that whether it's a good time to go on the market may be influenced by what else is for sale in your area. For instance, in my neighborhood, there is practically nothing for sale within the same price point as my house. Since the neighborhood is fairly nice and desirable, I think now would be a great time for a house like mine to be on the market because of the lack of competition. However, I've heard from another person on this forum who recently sold their house in a neighborhood where dozens of similar houses are still for sale. They had to lower the asking price considerably to get the attention of buyers (and luckily, they got a few nibbles as a result).

Do you have a realtor? What does s/he have to say?

Unread 12-04-2007, 05:45 PM

18,191 posts, read 26,226,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie741 View Post
Thanks.
There are so many buyers out there looking for good product.
If you are willing to prep your home right and live with that through the holidays, I would put it up now.

If you prefer to wait, I don't see how you will be hurt, but there are plenty of lookers right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary