Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 04:08 PM

151 posts, read 195,209 times

Advertisements

So I have some money and I've been Kayaking before (grand total of 4-5 times) at Jordan Lake mainly.

I was thinking of buying one for myself as I saw they were pretty cheap (250-300).

I have a question for you guys who might have one: Are you allowed to go to any lake to use your kayak? are all the lakes accessible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 05:14 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
There are many places to kayak in the area and I'd say most lakes are accessible. Tons of local kayaking info here:

Doggie Paddling the Triangle

Just be sure to budget for a paddle, PFD, and some way to carry it on your car (unless you can fit it inside). I love kayaking and wound up with two boats myself (14' and 17').

Feel free to DM me with any questions you might have.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:30 PM

621 posts, read 982,421 times
Lakes at Bond and Crabtree parks are accessible but I think there is a fee.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:36 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Thanks for starting this! I'd like to get one too.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:15 AM

13 posts, read 28,483 times
In term of the cost, you may need to invest into car rack or trailer if you don't have one. In that case you may want to consider inflatable or folding kayak. Recent inflatable kayak is far better than the rubber ducky in the past. Also you have another benefit on storage at home since they fit back in bag pretty much the same size as large travel luggage. The only con is it's tedious to assemble/unassemble everytime .. but that's another 20-30 min.

I have one inflatable (Advanced Elements Convertible), and one folding (Folbot Cooper) both I got from REI. If you time it right you can get 20% off from their annual membership discount.

Carolina Kayak Club (CRC) members gather at Jordan lake quite often at Farrington Point. You may want to check their website too.

Cheers.....Som

Last edited by flyingpig2351; 03-08-2014 at 06:29 AM..

Old 03-08-2014, 09:11 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,727,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Thanks for starting this! I'd like to get one too.
Me three!

Old 03-08-2014, 10:59 PM

151 posts, read 195,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
There are many places to kayak in the area and I'd say most lakes are accessible. Tons of local kayaking info here:

Doggie Paddling the Triangle

Just be sure to budget for a paddle, PFD, and some way to carry it on your car (unless you can fit it inside). I love kayaking and wound up with two boats myself (14' and 17').

Feel free to DM me with any questions you might have.
Nice places. Are they free or do they have a fee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig2351 View Post
In term of the cost, you may need to invest into car rack or trailer if you don't have one. In that case you may want to consider inflatable or folding kayak. Recent inflatable kayak is far better than the rubber ducky in the past. Also you have another benefit on storage at home since they fit back in bag pretty much the same size as large travel luggage. The only con is it's tedious to assemble/unassemble everytime .. but that's another 20-30 min.

I have one inflatable (Advanced Elements Convertible), and one folding (Folbot Cooper) both I got from REI. If you time it right you can get 20% off from their annual membership discount.

Carolina Kayak Club (CRC) members gather at Jordan lake quite often at Farrington Point. You may want to check their website too.

Cheers.....Som

Thank you so much for the information!

according to Google the car rack costs around 25-40 dollars. That isn't too pad. That with the paddles ect would be another 60 dollars.

These ones that I'm seeing for 250 dollars, do you think they are decent quality? (is that the normal price?)

Also is there any running costs with a Kayak?

The Carolina Kayak Club sounds good but I wouldn't want to embarrass myself being a newbie!

Thank you for the replies!

Old 03-09-2014, 05:40 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_cakes View Post

according to Google the car rack costs around 25-40 dollars. That isn't too pad. That with the paddles ect would be another 60 dollars.
A proper rack is going to be several hundred dollars. (Yakima, Thule, etc.)

Assume you are looking at foam blocks? I recently got a canoe, and had the same questions. Even if you can get the foam blocks for that cheap (???) you still need straps and anchors and whatnot. Figure another 20-40 bucks just for that.

FWIW, I mounted my car with a Yakima Rack. I shopped on Craigslist and got my stuff for under $200, but it is ROCK SOLID.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:19 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_cakes View Post
Nice places. Are they free or do they have a fee?

These ones that I'm seeing for 250 dollars, do you think they are decent quality? (is that the normal price?)

Also is there any running costs with a Kayak?

The Carolina Kayak Club sounds good but I wouldn't want to embarrass myself being a newbie!

Thank you for the replies!
Some places charge a launch fee, others don't. Jordan Lake has both free & pay access sites. Farrington Point is probably the most well known free one at Jordan, but you can Google for others. The county parks usually charge a couple of bucks. If you think you'll be going to state parks often, it might be worth buying an annual pass. You can launch at Harris Lake for free if you do it from the county park. The Three Rivers area (launch from Red Mill Road in Durham) on the Eno is really great, and free.

If you are talking about a new $250 kayak, you're likely looking at what's called a recreational kayak. It'll be around 10 feet or so, wider & stable. It's great for a beginner, but many people wind up moving up. I skipped buying a rec boat, did a lot of research and bought a Wilderness Tsunami 140 (14'). It's considered a day tourer, or cross-over/hybrid kayak. If you think you will be serious about kayaking, I'd recommend getting at least a 12' boat.

There are no running costs once you get the gear you need other than park entry fees or launch fees.

The Carolina Kayak Club is great, but definitely more geared towards experienced paddlers. They will be having a weekend kayak symposium later in the spring, which will offer a variety of classes including those for beginners. You would need to bring your own boat (or borrow/rent one) Check out the kayak Meetup groups, especially if you get a rec boat to start.

Great Outdoor Provision Company (GOPC) will be having it's first demo day at 4pm on 4/17/14 at Lake Crabtree. This is a great way to try out a variety of boats and ask questions about gear. Be careful though, you may fall in love with a boat which is how I wound up getting my second one (16.8" sea kayak).

If you take a little drive to Greensboro, you can visit Get Outdoors. They have a HUGE showroom and the staff is super helpful. That's where I bought my first kayak. They sell used/demo boats at good prices. GOPC sells demo units as well.

Frog Hollow Outdoors is a great local company. They offer kayak rentals and tours as well as classes. I highly recommend their beginner class - Intro to Kayak Instruction. Lots of great information about safety, paddle strokes, and gear. I took their intermediate one as well.

REI also rents kayaks, and the price is VERY reasonble (rec boats only).

Craigslist is a great source for used kayaks and also roof rack parts. Check out Malone roof racks - the quality is very good, and the price is much less than Yakima or Thule. I've used their Sea Wings and AutoLoader racks. If your roof rack has cross bars, you can get either the Sea Wings or AutoLoader from Amazon for around $100-$120 ($94.24 today). Don't be afraid of buying a used kayak from Craigslist either - many people buy a kayak and never use it. Just try to find one that was stored inside - prolonged exposure to the sun will damage the plastic.

This is a great area for flatwater kayaking (as opposed to whitewater). I fell in love with kayaking the first time I got in a tandem up at Falls Lake. Now not only do I have two boats, but on Saturday I'm headed to Belize for a week of kayaking & snorkeling!

Old 03-09-2014, 06:36 PM

13 posts, read 28,483 times
Belize!! You make me drool. I can't go there anytime soon, but I may join this one this year. It's just a short hop from RTP.

Travel with REI: Coastal Carolina Sea Kayaking - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary