U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 01:30 PM

998 posts, read 1,244,936 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a new transplant here and I made the mistake of going to the nearest salon for a cut and color. I did ask since they werent a Redken salon if they could match the color I had and just do my roots to cover the grey. I was told it would be no problem. Well, that was 3 weeks ago and my hair still looks bad. I have tried to contact the salon (they have 3 locations so I tried to notify the management) but still no reply.
I was hoping that after a few washed it would get better but it is still way too dark and now my roots are showing really bad against this black. I have brown hair so there is a big color difference. She also got color in spots other than my roots somehow which I am trying to hide my styling my hair differently. She also hacked my hair on one side. I am not sure why or how she did it. I did not notice until I washed it and tried to style it myself. Anyways, I know I will not go back there.
I live in northwest Raleigh and the 2 salons up here that use Redken seem expensive and the reviews seem a bit hit or miss.
Now I am afraid to let anyone touch my hair. My old hairdresser was so good. He understood what I needed, just a simple touch up to cover greys and every few months a few highlights.

Help!
Can anyone recommend a good salon for a color and a cut?
TIA
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 05:24 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,820,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
Hi, I am a new transplant here and I made the mistake of going to the nearest salon for a cut and color. I did ask since they werent a Redken salon if they could match the color I had and just do my roots to cover the grey. I was told it would be no problem. Well, that was 3 weeks ago and my hair still looks bad. I have tried to contact the salon (they have 3 locations so I tried to notify the management) but still no reply.
I was hoping that after a few washed it would get better but it is still way too dark and now my roots are showing really bad against this black. I have brown hair so there is a big color difference. She also got color in spots other than my roots somehow which I am trying to hide my styling my hair differently. She also hacked my hair on one side. I am not sure why or how she did it. I did not notice until I washed it and tried to style it myself. Anyways, I know I will not go back there.
I live in northwest Raleigh and the 2 salons up here that use Redken seem expensive and the reviews seem a bit hit or miss.
Now I am afraid to let anyone touch my hair. My old hairdresser was so good. He understood what I needed, just a simple touch up to cover greys and every few months a few highlights.

Help!
Can anyone recommend a good salon for a color and a cut?
TIA
PM'ing you with the name of a great stylist in Wake Forest. She uses Loreal color...but wow...she is spot on great!

Old 03-09-2014, 09:47 AM

407 posts, read 293,540 times
I can't recommend Lyn at Atmosp'hair enough. I have very long, tangly brown hair and I needed a fresh all-over color. I also thought what the hell, I'd add a few highlights. Whenever I had this done before, I would pretty much write off my day because it would take up to 4 hours. It would also normally cost $300-$400.

Well, I don't know how she did it but I was out of there in less than 2 hours and my hair looked absolutely incredible. I grabbed the credit card expecting the hit but it came out to less than $200!!! What sorcery is this?

LOVE HER!

http://www.atmosphair.us/atmosphair/Home.html

Last edited by Mom2Bulldogs; 03-09-2014 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: forgot to add URL

Old 03-09-2014, 10:09 AM

8,264 posts, read 21,813,705 times
I'd go straight to Blo in Brier creek.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:22 AM

33,076 posts, read 26,889,149 times
DS Parada

When I lived in Wakefield, I went here. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:35 AM

5,413 posts, read 4,820,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
DS Parada

When I lived in Wakefield, I went here. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
Now that is the one place that I CAN NOT recommend. I got a cut and color there once....and yeah...it was over $200 - and the color was flat and splatchy and I could have gotten a better cut at the local Sports Clips. I am sure that stylist does not work there any longer....but what upset me was the owners reaction to my complaint.

PS: I thought we could not give out direct recommendations on this board? Is that just for real estate agents? I did PM my recommendation to the OP though.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:21 AM

33,076 posts, read 26,889,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Now that is the one place that I CAN NOT recommend. I got a cut and color there once....and yeah...it was over $200 - and the color was flat and splatchy and I could have gotten a better cut at the local Sports Clips. I am sure that stylist does not work there any longer....but what upset me was the owners reaction to my complaint.

PS: I thought we could not give out direct recommendations on this board? Is that just for real estate agents? I did PM my recommendation to the OP though.
That is just for RE agents.

We can give out recs of all kinds on here as long as we aren't new members with less than 10 posts. :

I went to DS Parada for 4 years. Loved the place. And I'm pretty picky.

Sorry you had a bad experience there. That sucks.

One more note. We cannot make consumer complaints here, unless someone mentions a place and we didn't care for it. Like what you did here. Totally allowed.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:30 AM

14,309 posts, read 17,512,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I'd go straight to Blo in Brier creek.
Yep, I'd second that.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:46 AM

998 posts, read 1,244,936 times
I was reluctant to go to Blo even though they are a Redken salon and my last hair dresser wrote down all of the info so I could just hand it to them and they would know exactly what I had on my hair. I guess I should have just gone to Blo but I have read a few bad reviews and it looked really pricey. My guy in FL was not a top level at the salon but working his way up and he was excellent. The person I was talking about here in Raleigh on Strickland Rd was supposed to be at the highest level but maybe she was having a bad day. So, now I get to find another place and pay more to have it corrected. I made sure that she understood if she could not match it, I was happy to just get a cut. My hair is 60% grey, that is why I color it and it has been 3 weeks and looks terrible. Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate it!

Old 03-09-2014, 12:41 PM

14,309 posts, read 17,512,523 times
Just one additional comment, Shanti. Grey hair is notoriously difficult to color. It just won't hold the color. I know - I started going grey at 19, and was near fully grey by the time I was 30. (Which allowed me to go easily from medium brown hair to platinum blonde).

Upkeep is an expensive proposition, both monetarily and a total time suck of hours. So, for over 30 years, I've done it myself, using professional quality products I can purchase at Sally's.

Bonnie (at Blo) cuts my hair - she's excellent for very short hair and I've referred several happy customers to her. (Never saw her do long hair, so I can't comment one way or the other). I wanted to adjust my hair color a few months ago, which is a bit beyond my DIY abilities, so I had Bonnie do it. She consulted with the owner and one of the other colorists, and they did a great job. Best part: They instructed me how to keep it looking that way at home including what number hair color to use and how to apply it so that as it washes out, it looks natural and that white regrowth doesn't look so awful.

Just my 2cents. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary