Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,701 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family and I are moving to NC, specifically the Cary, Apex area. We are considering Apex high school and Green Hope, and looking to buy a home that feeds into either of those hs. I've read some things about getting a "seat" at certain schools and it doesn't necessarily mean if you buy in a certain neighborhood you will be guaranteed that school. How do I go about choosing the best neighborhood then? My son is only 2 so I know things can change a ton, however we are going in with the best intentions that we will love it down here and therefore we would want our son to be at a good hs. Thanks so much for any input. FYI our budget is 350-500 and we like mature neighborhoods that aren't crowded with nice size backyards. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 06:08 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfaniam24 View Post
Hi, my family and I are moving to NC, specifically the Cary, Apex area. We are considering Apex high school and Green Hope, and looking to buy a home that feeds into either of those hs. I've read some things about getting a "seat" at certain schools and it doesn't necessarily mean if you buy in a certain neighborhood you will be guaranteed that school. How do I go about choosing the best neighborhood then? My son is only 2 so I know things can change a ton, however we are going in with the best intentions that we will love it down here and therefore we would want our son to be at a good hs. Thanks so much for any input. FYI our budget is 350-500 and we like mature neighborhoods that aren't crowded with nice size backyards. Thanks!
Your child won't be in HS for another 12 years. A LOT could change by then.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:11 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfaniam24 View Post
It is going to be 12 or 13 years before your child is in high school...and who knows how many new high schools may be built by then.....there is just no way to predict what school a house will be zoned for that far out....not even if you had a crystal ball and certainly not in an area of Wake that is having high growth like Apex. (You could do it IBL - maybe North Raleigh and Wake Forest, as the latter two areas have had several new highschools built recently.)

Honestly, 90% of the high schools in Wake County (I admit, I don't like two of them...but others do...and neither of those are in Cary or Apex) are very good if not better. Others who know that area better may have specific neighborhoods to suggest....but honestly, I'd be looking at elementary schools at most.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:24 PM

510 posts, read 900,436 times
yea--this place is messed up when it comes to placement. in 13 years we'll have 4 or 5 school board changes, so that will most likely affect your placement in high school. In fact, just last week they capped Holly springs High school along with some other schools.....and not to mention they are building more schools, including a high school somewhere around Apex/Holly Springs.

as the others posters said look at the elementary schools. Your child will be going there first, and spending 6 years there;half of his education.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:26 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Everyone is right. Do not buy now based on current assignments. They are building a new HS soon and no doubt shifts will be made.

The same people that made the HS you are looking at high-achieving schools will be the same ones being shifted to the newer schools. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary