Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:37 PM

913 posts, read 884,831 times

Advertisements

Where are you from?
I was born and raised in Nassau County NY.

When did you come here, and why?
We came here 8/2012. My husband retired (very young) and we no longer needed to be near the city. My 2 sons were in college and my little one was young enough to move and adjust. The timing was just right for us. We wanted to stay on the east coast, be able to drive to NY if need be and wanted to have 4 seasons without the extreme cold and snow. After much research we found Cary.

What other places (besides the aforementioned) have you lived?
New City, NY

What do you like about the area?
I love that it is family friendly and my daughter can play outside after school with her friends. We also use the greenways daily for walking and inline skating. The parks are beautiful and we love all the playgrounds. We have made some great friends in my community and we have alot of fun together.We are also foodies, so we are having a good time eating our way around the area.

Finally, tell us a little some thing about yourself in general.
After 26 years as a hairdresser (colorist) I am happy to say I am now a full time Mom, Brownie leader and PTA Mom and I love every minute of it. My 2 sons are currently in NY (one lives there and the other goes to SUNY Binghamton. I feel very fortunate that we can take time to smell the roses at a relatively young age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 07:44 PM

18 posts, read 29,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post

Retired last year after 22 years at UNC. Sold property in West Cary to a developer.
Moved to Todd and have a small b&b there.
Oooh! I've always thought a B&B sounded lovely! I went to college at ASU and Todd is such a pretty area.

Where are you from? *gasp* I'm a native North Carolinian...not many of us in the Triangle

When did you come here, and why? I followed my husband, a Raleigh native and tech geek, home from college

What do you like about the area? I really like that it has all the conveniences of a city - great shopping, cultural activities, etc. but that the area still feels small particularly relative to your area of town. People are very connected to one another and this place and I like that. I also love that there is something going on all the time - festivals, concerts, experiences, etc.

Finally, tell us a little some thing about yourself in general. I'm a Realtor and in general just enjoy making Raleigh a cool place to live. I'm involved with a variety of non-profit and for profit organizations that all add great diversity and excitement to the city.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:06 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Where are you from?
I'm a native North Carolinian (gotta represent). Grew up in Fayetteville. My daddy's people are from SE NC going back too many generations to count. My mama's people are from Virginia.

Came to UNC for college like my brother, sister (grad school), and daddy.

Los Angeles for a year or so after college.

Well, North Carolina is home first off, but I'd never live in Fayetteville again. In Chapelboro I really like that it's a small town area (Raleigh is too big for me), but has tons of cool stuff to do (arts, music, fantastic restaurants) and is also family friendly, but not boring.

I spend too much time on the computer!

Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Where are you from? Durham, Watts Hospital (now the NCSSM)

When did you come here, and why? Raleigh - 1984, NC State University

1989 -Greensboro
1990 - Durham again
1991 - Fayetteville
1995 - Hickory
1997 - Raleigh

It's home, and it's got everything I need and could want, except for a few things I have to travel to experience.

I'm the only male in my house, and it's always been that way since I got married.

Last edited by BoBromhal; 03-13-2014 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: i forgot the 'nam!

Old 03-14-2014, 06:26 AM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Where are you from?
I was born and raised near Philadelphia.

We came here in 2012 because my husband had a job transfer from the DC area where I lived for 22 years.

I've lived (in order):
--Pennsylvania (18 years)
--Delaware (4 years)
--Maryland (10 years)
--Virginia (12 years)
--North Carolina (2 years)

Anyone notice a pattern? I tell everyone I'm moving south one state at a time. I should be in Florida by the time I retire!

I mostly don't care for the area and would move back to Northern Virginia in a heartbeat if given the chance. But what I do like is this:
--little traffic except during UNC games
--milder winters
--cleaner air (can see the stars at night!)

--I'm a SAHM (husband and 3 kids) but would love a part-time job outside the home if I could find one that had decent pay.
--I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years.
--I volunteer in my kids' school, and have been a Girl Scout troop leader for 5 years.
--I love yardsales and thrift stores and have been selling on eBay for 12 years.
--I love South Florida and try to go there as often as I can.
--I have a major fear of flying. I haven't flown in 13 years except one trip 8 years ago to adopt my daughter from China. I am good with snakes and spiders, though. ;-)

Old 03-14-2014, 07:23 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Where are you from? Raleigh. Born in Old Rex Hospital on Wade Ave (on the other hand my wife is from Long Island)

When did you come here, and why? came here in the early 70's My parents lived in Henderson and moved here mid 60's. Various relatives have lived in Vance County, Wake Co and in between for some time.

What other places (besides the aforementioned) have you lived? Moved way out to the Preston area of Cary in 1996, much to my parent's chagrin (with the girl from Long Island no less!) You would have thought I was moving to China or signing up for Sherman's army in the Civil War. (ITB can be a bit insular ) Now live in Morrisville.

What do you like about the area? What's not to like? 4 seasons, great location.

Finally, tell us a little some thing about yourself in general. Work in construction, avid sports fan and beer drinker. Run a little to burn off the beer.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:31 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Where are you from?

The Northern Suburbs of Chicago.

September of 2013, and I moved here for a job.

All over Minnesota

BBQ and being in a new place on my own in general. I'm hoping to explore the beach more as we get warmer.

I'm a twenty something male, and an avid outdoorsman. I love hunting and fishing.

I hope you all find this fun and that it helps the local population (current and former) to get to know one another a little better.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:48 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,447 times
Well, I'm not there yet, but will be soon so I thought that I'd answer some of these best I can :-)

Where are you from?
NEW YORK CITY
I was born in New York Hospital in Manhattan, New York. My parents were both first generation born in the United States. My dad was born and raised in Greenpoint, Brooklyn (know where his family came from, anyone?) and as a teen lived in Manhattan. My mother was born and raised in Manhattan. My parents met while living in Manhattan and eventually moved to Queens.

We aren't there yet, but will be in 2015. We are looking for a better quality of life for our children. We have given this a lot of thought, made numerous trips down, and are ready. Very big decision we have not made lightly.

I have always lived and worked in New York City. Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island. Just not the Bronx.

I will answer this in about 2 years :-)

I am a full time RN, wife and mother. My kids range in ages from 9-24 years old. My father passed away in 2012 and nothing has been the same since. I like the simple things in life, and appreciate things that I think others take for granted. This comes from my personal life and from being a RN.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:15 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
Well, I'm not there yet, but will be soon so I thought that I'd answer some of these best I can :-)

Where are you from?
NEW YORK CITY
I was born in New York Hospital in Manhattan, New York. My parents were both first generation born in the United States. My dad was born and raised in Greenpoint, Brooklyn (know where his family came from, anyone?) and as a teen lived in Manhattan. My mother was born and raised in Manhattan. My parents met while living in Manhattan and eventually moved to Queens.

We aren't there yet, but will be in 2015. We are looking for a better quality of life for our children. We have given this a lot of thought, made numerous trips down, and are ready. Very big decision we have not made lightly.

I have always lived and worked in New York City. Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island. Just not the Bronx.

I will answer this in about 2 years :-)

I am a full time RN, wife and mother. My kids range in ages from 9-24 years old. My father passed away in 2012 and nothing has been the same since. I like the simple things in life, and appreciate things that I think others take for granted. This comes from my personal life and from being a RN.

Polish..of course!

Many moons ago, I did business with the Polish & Slavic Federal Credit Union.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:37 AM

15 posts, read 16,781 times
SINY2NC my husband and I are first generation Polish, and i spend 20 years living in Greenpoint
We hope to move into the area Raleigh or around Winston Salem next year as well

Where are you from?
Born in Gdansk, Poland (12 years there) where Solidarity started

Hopefully will move within the next year. Mainly to have slower life, less traffic and not 45 to 1 hour commute each way, be closer to family (sister in law) and an area where our parents can retire and be independent (there is no way they will be able to live in NYC where they spend half of their lives) on their retirement, and we want them to be as independent as long as they can.

What other places have you lived?
20 years in Greenpoint, Brooklyn NY, 1 year in Jackson Heights, Queens, and now in Stony Brook, NY (Long Island)

no rush, less traffic and more family friendly without crazy competitiveness

love to cook and bake, exploring new cultures, and love nature, and am one of the few female wastewater engineers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary