Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:48 PM

28 posts, read 43,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
They'd be in the range you wanted as far as price goes and if the rest of the amenities turned out to be what you were looking for, it sounds like a good situation.

And you could drive by all the custom mansions so there's that scenery around the neighborhood, too. They looked to be architecturally interesting, which is nice.

I feel for the original owners, though.

ETA: While I'm the opposite of a Toll Brothers fan, I wasn't criticizing them in this case. Just imagining the contrast, because if they are building the higher-end product they build in other higher-end Toll developments, there would be a noticeable difference in the homes out there, but that's just reality. A custom that would fetch 2-4 mil prior to the crash is going to be nicer than an Executive Series Toll home, but it cost much more, so that's to be expected, no?
The neighborhood I live in now is gated, but before our golf course was closed, we allowed in "outside" people who bought membership in the Golf Club. I can't think of a reason to feel any differently about those people than the people who bought a house in the neighborhood -- I don't know most of my neighbors, and it's not like there's a background check on residents. There are tons of people who come into the neighborhood that are not residents -- friends, relatives, friends of friends, service people, people looking to buy ... We have a gate that requires our guard calling the resident for permission, but we don't control the people out neighbors let in. There is no way to completely insulate a neighborhood, and even if there were, who really knows how safe all of the actual residents are anyway, if that's a concern.

In addition, there is an area in our neighborhood with mega mansions, and then those of us with "regular homes." We are not on Star Island or Fisher Island where everyone is a multi millionaire, there are a range of homes from smaller, average prices homes up to 2-4 million dollars. It is very common here for large developments to have a range of homes with more moderate pricing all the way up to millions, and the people in this development don't drive by the mansions to look at them, it's definitely not a novelty to have mansions a few streets away, and I just can't imagine why I'd want to do a "drive by" -- I'm happy with what I'm able to afford and certainly too busy with my kids and life to care about someone else having a bigger house. And without that range of homes, I would not be able to live here -- or in Hasentree for that matter -- if there were only 2-4 million dollar homes, and I appreciate the diversity. I have a larger "regular" model in my neighborhood, but I can't imagine having an issue with smaller homes allowing other types of families to live here.

To answer your question, yes, there is a real gate at Hasentree with real security. I think that whatever problems that the previous home builders had no longer exist, although there are bound to be new problems. I'm sure there are complaints -- but there will always be in any development.

Thanks for the suggestion to check older threads -- it's always good to get informed about any neighborhood before jumping in.

As for North Raleigh, is Lake Hogan Farms (or any other subdivision) something to consider?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 10:55 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Mom_to_NC View Post

As for North Raleigh, is Lake Hogan Farms (or any other subdivision) something to consider?

Thanks again!
Lake Hogan Farms is in Chapel Hill, unless there is another one I am not familiar with. Lake Hogan Farms has a pool, but other than that, there are no activities that I am aware of. It's in a bit of country setting a few miles away from the center of Chapel Hill. It doesn't sound like what you are looking for.

I've never been to the JCC in Raleigh but from what I understand, it is not much of a facility. There is an outdoor pool but that is about it. But double-check on that. There is a very new JCC in Durham that is a pretty nice facility - it has an outdoor pool with some slides and a nice indoor gym, a workout room and some other things. It is in a complex that also houses a reform synagogue and a PK-5 Jewish Day School.

I will throw this out there. I live in a neo-traditional neighborhood called Southern Village in Chapel Hill that is a residential neighborhood with a commercial village contained in it. It is not gated. And there is not a daily list of activities like a resort or anything. However, there are many activities to do within the neighborhood without ever leaving. The neighborhood is lousy with kids. And most of them - age 8 and above seem to have free reign of the neighborhood on their bikes, scooters, etc.

In the neighborhood there is:

-An outdoor pool (open mid-May to end of September)
-6 tennis courts
-some small playgrounds
-a movie theatre (5 screens)
-a frozen yogurt shop
-a kids' gymnastics place
-a pizza place
-Subway (the sub shop)
-a grocery store co-op
-a town green which has concerts on weekends in from spring to fall, movie nights in summer, and a farmer's market in spring/summer
-a gelato place
-a fitness gym
-a bar/grill
-a couple of other restaurants, shops, doctors' offices, etc.

There are also walking paths and woods that the kids play in as well as a town park that is adjacent to the neighborhood (via walking paths) which has soccer fields, a skate park, and a playground.

People LOVE living here and homes sell and rent rather quickly. It might be worth looking into.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:23 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
OP... That wasn't my point, re: deliberately driving past houses. It was more a "well, I suppose the view will be attractive" kind of comment.

Naturally, there are many neighborhoods that were designed to have homes in them at a variety of prices, sizes, etc.

For some reason, Governor's Club in Chapel Hill just sprang to mind.

Anyway...
My point is that that is NOT what Hasentree was planned to be. It was planned to be an enclave for wealthy executives and their families. Gated, with homes all in excess of a million dollars.

I doubt anyone who bought there originally is happy with how that neighborhood is building out. Especially the people who were left holding 450k building lots or the higher priced homes in the neighborhood.

That was really all I meant. If you go take a look and it works for your family, that's great. Just musing about what happened with that neighborhood.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:36 AM

meh -- I can understand why some people who originally bought there would be unhappy -- I'm sure if I was in their shoes, I would be, too. Hopefully it's still a great neighborhood for them and the amenities are what they expected, because that would make things even worse.

In an event, it's definitely not the only neighborhood we're looking at, just one we are considering. We are totally unfamiliar with the whole area, so it's a bit like shooting in the dark, which make this forum so incredibly helpful. I am taking your suggestion and doing a more extensive search on feedback for the development.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Lake Hogan Farms is in Chapel Hill, unless there is another one I am not familiar with. Lake Hogan Farms has a pool, but other than that, there are no activities that I am aware of. It's in a bit of country setting a few miles away from the center of Chapel Hill. It doesn't sound like what you are looking for.

I've never been to the JCC in Raleigh but from what I understand, it is not much of a facility. There is an outdoor pool but that is about it. But double-check on that. There is a very new JCC in Durham that is a pretty nice facility - it has an outdoor pool with some slides and a nice indoor gym, a workout room and some other things. It is in a complex that also houses a reform synagogue and a PK-5 Jewish Day School.

I will throw this out there. I live in a neo-traditional neighborhood called Southern Village in Chapel Hill that is a residential neighborhood with a commercial village contained in it. It is not gated. And there is not a daily list of activities like a resort or anything. However, there are many activities to do within the neighborhood without ever leaving. The neighborhood is lousy with kids. And most of them - age 8 and above seem to have free reign of the neighborhood on their bikes, scooters, etc.

In the neighborhood there is:

-An outdoor pool (open mid-May to end of September)
-6 tennis courts
-some small playgrounds
-a movie theatre (5 screens)
-a frozen yogurt shop
-a kids' gymnastics place
-a pizza place
-Subway (the sub shop)
-a grocery store co-op
-a town green which has concerts on weekends in from spring to fall, movie nights in summer, and a farmer's market in spring/summer
-a gelato place
-a fitness gym
-a bar/grill
-a couple of other restaurants, shops, doctors' offices, etc.

There are also walking paths and woods that the kids play in as well as a town park that is adjacent to the neighborhood (via walking paths) which has soccer fields, a skate park, and a playground.

People LOVE living here and homes sell and rent rather quickly. It might be worth looking into.

Thank you for the suggestion -- I am going to check out the neighborhood because it sounds amazing. From what you've posted, there's nothing missing from that area -- you really wouldn't have to leave if you didn't want to and my kids would always be entertained. It's such a bonus when the places my kids love and ask to go to are really conveniently located.

Also, I read that the Raleigh JCC was not that great -- and I'd prefer to be near the JCC in Durham if possible. I did a map search and Hasentree is 30 minutes from there, but it's only 12 or so minutes from where you live. I am going to see what other communities are around there, maybe even call the JCC and ask them.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:41 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
The Durham JCC is nice and brand new (opened in the last couple of years.) If you end up looking on the Durham side, for your price range and interests you might consider the Hope Valley Country Club area; alternatively, Duke Forest and the neighborhoods surrounding it. Both are close to the JCC, and HVCC gives you access to the course and the club's amenities.

The near-downtown neighborhoods are undergoing a revival and are very close to dining and entertainment, but as traditional early 20th century streetgrid neighborhoods wouldn't have the other things you were looking for. I would note that Beth-El Synagogue is in Trinity Park and many Jewish families live in and around our neighborhood as a result. Should you look that route, you might consider a membership at the Washington Duke Inn/Country Club for access to a golf course and other features.

As an ex-Orlandoan, I agree the humidity is lower here -- BUT, that said, we bought a vacation place in the mountains of WNC and head there frequently in the summer. It does hit 90-95 degrees here routinely in July and August and it's only a couple of degrees cooler sometimes here than Fla. On those weeks, we head for the Blue Ridge Parkway area, where it's 10-15 degrees cooler with much lower humidity. But to each their own!

Old 03-16-2014, 08:10 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Mom_to_NC View Post
Thank you for the suggestion -- I am going to check out the neighborhood because it sounds amazing. From what you've posted, there's nothing missing from that area -- you really wouldn't have to leave if you didn't want to and my kids would always be entertained. It's such a bonus when the places my kids love and ask to go to are really conveniently located.

Also, I read that the Raleigh JCC was not that great -- and I'd prefer to be near the JCC in Durham if possible. I did a map search and Hasentree is 30 minutes from there, but it's only 12 or so minutes from where you live. I am going to see what other communities are around there, maybe even call the JCC and ask them.
We are actually Jewish and used to belong to the synagogue in the complex with the JCC. It takes about 15-20 minutes to get there. For me, living in Southern Village, it is not convenient enough to join. If you want to use the JCC a lot, then I would look at a closer neighborhood. Although, I do know people whose kids go to camp there in the summer from Southern Village, so it's not terribly inconvenient, but not all that close either if you want to use it as a workout gym everyday, for example.

There is a small synagogue (Reconstructionist) here in Chapel Hill that is about 2-3 miles away from Southern Village. They offer services and other activities that might interest you. And there are some Jewish people here in Southern Village - not a ton - but you definitely wouldn't be the only ones.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:47 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Lake Hogan Farms is in Chapel Hill, unless there is another one I am not familiar with.
Actually, it's in Carrboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary