Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 02:40 AM

3 posts, read 4,649 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am considering moving from Cleveland to North Carolina possibly to the Raleigh, Durham area..I wanted to know of a good area that is diverse ( Im Black) I have a 17 year old son. I'm looking for good schools, low crime, area with a median income around $50,000..any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 03:57 AM

37 posts, read 75,071 times
come visit and see for yourself what "vibe" works for you personally, seeing with your own eyes and experience is worth more than people's opinion on the internet

the money spent on airfare and car rental for 2-4 days will be worth it, as you can scope out apartments to stay in here in NC after moving

RDU, Raleigh Durham airport is very nice and is a short trip to Raleigh/Durham

both Raleigh & Durham are fairly large and diverse areas. They're both large enough that there are great areas of both and lower end areas of each

North Raleigh is more expensive, but nicer overall

Durham is very underrated IMO

spend a few days exploring both in person and see what kind of people you meet/like and get opinions from EVERYONE.

people in NC are pretty nice and will often be more open than some of the larger cities

Old 03-16-2014, 10:16 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalovia View Post
Hi,

I am considering moving from Cleveland to North Carolina possibly to the Raleigh, Durham area..I wanted to know of a good area that is diverse ( Im Black) I have a 17 year old son. I'm looking for good schools, low crime, area with a median income around $50,000..any suggestions?
There are too many to list. Where will you be working?

Old 03-16-2014, 12:10 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
My diverse area near Triangle Town Center is pretty nice but not highly prized because it is near Mini-City, a problem area.

Our apartment community many times is 100% full. Northridge Crossings Apartments.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:10 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
It's quite a spread-out area; where you will be working will make a lot of difference because there are good areas in many areas of the region.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:30 PM

69 posts, read 177,390 times
My wife and I (we are white) came from Cleveland three years ago and life near Southpoint in Durham County. We love the area compared to Cleveland. So many trees, the weather is nice, and the people are friendly. The only thing I miss is the corned beef

Cost of living feels lower than Cleveland, mostly because the winters aren't as bad so you aren't paying as much for heating. I think we were paying $250 a month on a budget in Cleveland on top of ~$150 for electric. Now we pay around $150-200 a month in electric (no gas).

I know nothing of the schools.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2014, 06:55 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
First let me congratulate you on your decision to move from Ohio. Being from Youngstown myself, it was one of the best things I ever did for my family. Given your priorities I'd take a close look at Cary! Reasonably diverse and very low crime rate.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:48 AM

5 posts, read 10,635 times
I too am considering moving to the North Carolina area. I'm currently in Louisville, KY and I'm looking for change. I've been looking at jobs (RN) but I cant decide on what city!!! May just have to take a few days and go see for myself

Old 03-26-2014, 10:50 AM

76 posts, read 220,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
First let me congratulate you on your decision to move from Ohio. Being from Youngstown myself, it was one of the best things I ever did for my family. Given your priorities I'd take a close look at Cary! Reasonably diverse and very low crime rate.
Woot Woot... I'm from Y-town too

To the OP, I moved down here in 2004 and haven't missed OH a day The weather is 100% better and there actually are jobs here (OH is pretty bad, especially around Y-town).

Cary is a nice place, but was a little too expensive for me. Garner is great... and depending on where your job is at, Fuquay and/or Clayton are nice places to look at also!

I'm still a huge Indians fan though! I don't admit to being a Browns fan, lol.

Good luck on your potential move!!

Old 03-26-2014, 11:11 AM

46 posts, read 111,007 times
TOO many people from Ohio down here already!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary