Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:58 AM

36 posts, read 131,822 times

Advertisements

You all have so much knowledge and I just love this forum and really appreciate the time people take to answer questions/concerns . I’d like to find out much emphasis home buyers place on school systems when looking at purchasing a home. I’m trying to decide between 2 very average subdivisions. One home is in Clayton Pointe (Clayton) and one is in Long Branch (Smithfield). I was told that the schools children would have to attend, if living in Long Branch, were really, really bad versus the schools children would attend if living in Clayton Pointe. I don’t have children myself, but I’m thinking about resale down the road (or if I have children myself). The homes themselves are new construction, one built by Comfort Homes and one built by Holloway. The Long Branch home is much better quality than the Clayton home (built by Comfort Homes). But, the lot and location are nicer in Clayton Pointe than Long Branch. But, what really got to me was the comment one of the neighbors in Long Branch made about how bad the schools were in Smithfield. I’ve also heard general comments about Smithfield which weren’t necessarily complimentary. Love to hear your feedback! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 11:18 AM

906 posts, read 2,381,852 times
I don't know anything about those schools or that area, but I think you're smart to consider schools even though you don't have kids in them. I think it will be important for resale, especially since you said they are 'average' subdivisions. If people have enough money to go private and probably would no matter what the schools were like, then it wouldn't worry me as much. But if this is a middle of the road neighborhood that attracts families then I'd consider it.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:27 AM

842 posts, read 3,229,590 times
I'm surprised no real estate agents have chimed in yet. So I'm throwing in my $.02!

The quality of schools has a HUGE effect on the price of homes in this area. It is *THE* primary reason why homes are so much cheaper in Durham county compared to Wake county. And where are homes the most expensive? Chapel Hill....which happens to have the best schools in the area. Coincidence?

Old 12-05-2007, 11:28 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,965 times
Hmm. . . how long before you anticipate having children, yourself, and how badly do you dislike moving? I'd also consider the demographics of the two neighborhoods -- more children actually in one neighborhood vs. the other? Like, could you enjoy the home in Long Branch, have it appreciate enough to consider moving again yourself down the road? Could be that by the time you have children, and they are actually school-age, the schools in Smithfield may have improved. By the same scenario, the ones in Clayton may have gone down hill. I don't think many people buy a home today with the intent to stay there, raise their family, and then down-size upon retirement.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:32 AM

460 posts, read 1,770,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaBaby View Post
And where are homes the most expensive? Chapel Hill....which happens to have the best schools in the area. Coincidence?
I thought Cary had the best schools? (I'm not arguing...just genuinely surprised.)

Old 12-05-2007, 11:48 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,696,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurl View Post
I thought Cary had the best schools? (I'm not arguing...just genuinely surprised.)
I live in Cary and love it, but CH schools are better. Most Cary schools are very good though. Check out the average SAT score for CH/Carrboro (1189 for 2006). Cary High's avergae was 1092 for 2006 and Green Hope's was 1113.

http://www.raleighlatin.org/SAT%20results.pdf (broken link)

http://www.durham-nc.com/pdf/2006school_scores.pdf (broken link)

I'm not saying that SAT scores determine how good a school is.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:21 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
I know, based on the home buyers I have helped who have school aged children it does matter, it is something they spend countless hours researching. When I was planning on moving from apex to wake forest, I did my research as well, I talked to friends who lived in the area, got impressions of the schools, talked to the principals, etc.

Now you will have a portion of buyers who don't have kids, send their kids to charter/magnet or private school, or have kids out of school or homeschool. But, that is just a portion.

It is something I would consider as a buyer.

Leigh

Old 12-05-2007, 05:21 PM

959 posts, read 4,493,348 times
I definitely wouldn't go on one person's opinion. Especially if they referred to the school as "bad" without giving details. "Bad" usually just means that the average scores are lower, which is almost always a direct result of having more low income children.

For example, in the Triangle Chapel Hill is considered to have the "best" schools b/c it has the highest scores. But it also has a large proportion high income and highly educated parents who are more likely to be able to give children what they need to succeed in school, and a reputation for teaching to the test (many parents and teachers feel this to be a negative). With scores being high, house prices increase, and less low income children are able to live in the school system to bring down the average.

Wake County and Durham County have almost identical scores if children are broken down into groups by income and/or parent education. When it comes to SATs, Durham County, teenagers with college educated parents are scoring higher than Wake County teenagers. Now I REALLY did my research and that is why I very confidently bought in Durham County

I don't like to see people discouraged from buying in areas where more low income children live. And it seems that is often the case when people talk about "bad" schools. I'm more interested in the reputation of the teachers and principal, and the experience of the parents.

Where I was in Northern Virginia, I was told our elementary school was considered the "bad" school in the area. This by people living in the "best" elementary school in the area, which not cooincidentally also happened to pull from higher income neighborhoods. I also came to find out that our school was a big special education hub and had many autistic, etc children. The people who were actually familiar with the school loved it.

If you're actually going to be living in the house, my thought is to buy the one you would be happiest in. And then one day when you go to sell, and even before, educate people on what is most important in a child's schooling - parental involvement

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-31-2007 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: user request an edit

Old 12-05-2007, 05:26 PM

460 posts, read 1,770,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
When it comes to SATs, Durham County, teenagers with college educated parents are scoring higher than Wake County teenagers. Now I REALLY did my research and that is why I very confidently bought in Durham County
I LOVE to see when people do real research!! Awesome.

Quote:
And then one day when you go to sell, and even before, educate people on what is most important in a child's schooling - parental involvement
Give that girl some REP!!!

Old 12-05-2007, 05:35 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
When it comes to SATs, Durham County, teenagers with college educated parents are scoring higher than Wake County teenagers.
Sounds like you really did your research. However, one question, since your statement is unclear.

Were you comparing the children college educated Durham parents with only the children of college educated Wake parents, or to all Wake County students?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary