Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 09:31 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,137 times

Advertisements

Sounds like you would really like Wake Forest. It has a small town feel, but we always find stuff to do here. We can make it to downtown Raleigh in 30 min on the weekends for festivals and events, etc. The Seminary is also in Wake Forest, so you will find a lot of churches in Wake Forest with a lot of involvement from the seminary folks.

Heritage has a ton of kids. I see mostly 8 year olds through high school, but I'm sure there are younger ones as well. The kids appear to be very social. Our neighbor rents and said that her son's friends come over all the time (walk to their house) where as before in the country, that was not possible. I've seen the track team running the greenways in Heritage as well.

I've lived in Chapel Hill, Morrisville, Apex, and Wake Forest. Everybody has different opinions, but I have really enjoyed living in Wake Forest the most. I feel that it is more scenic that the other towns and I run into people I know in the grocery store, etc…which never happened in the other towns. There may be a lot of people who live in Wake Forest, but somehow the layout does offer a more small town feel. I also enjoy being away from plane noise, railroad noise, and the nuclear power plant in New Hill. In Apex, I could actually see the nuclear power plant from the back yard. It is supposed to be safe, but still made me a little nervous.

The only downfall I see to living in Wake Forest is the traffic. They are going to widen some roads here starting in 2015, but during peak times, the traffic can be a bear. We personally don't run into traffic, because we don't travel during those peak times. Plus, there are several routes you can take to avoid the main roads and we have found that there are a ton of those short cuts.

We don't feel like we are far away from stuff. In fact, my Dr.s office, hairstylist, mechanic, gym, grocery store, favorite restaurant, and vet's office is all on one road less than a 1/2 a mile away. I find I don't have to travel all over town to these places. I am about 15 min from Target, which is more than I like…but that's really not that far at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 09:59 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deveno7 View Post
Briar Creek in Raleigh?
Yes, not right in Raleigh, but Wake County. It's BriEr Creek. Google and you should find tons of info. It's very centrally located. Looks to be about 20 minutes to your husband's job. I think it's one of those places that is just about 20 minutes to everywhere.

I think from what you have said you might really like it. The only reservation I have is your price point is probably on the low end.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:52 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deveno7 View Post
I am open to any area that has great schools. I have heard good things about Leesville HS but don't know if there were rentals there. I think I will start the thread about Durham schools to see what I can find. We are on a bit of a time crunch now so need to move fairly quickly.
First, I would consider just about any area in North Raleigh, but I mean north of I-540. I wouldn't seriously consider Cary/Apex because while the overall distance might not seem so bad on paper (or a screen), it would be a drag of a commute relative to the area. I would also only consider Wake Forest based neighborhoods if I truly couldn't find a good house fit somewhere further west.

Second, and this isn't intended to convey that other high schools aren't, but Leesville Road High School is awesome! My oldest is graduating from there in June and my youngest is starting there in the August. The principal is an academic rock star (I've seen him work his magic at two schools and he's the real deal), the curriculum is varied and interesting to the students, and the teachers are among some of the very best we've met along the way. So yeah, what you heard is accurate. But I should also point out that you're not likely to find a four bedroom house rental within your budget in the neighborhood; three bedroom probably, but not four.

Third, schools aside, Brier Creek (which is part of Raleigh proper) is a great area for a relocating family. It's convenient to everything, has lots of foot traffic relative to the Triangle and is a favorite landing spot for relocating families, so you'd blend in and have an easier time of developing a social network. Have you considered any Durham neighborhoods? There are some beautiful places not that far from where your husband will be working.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:00 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
That's way up there, DEFINITELY too far from Apex and probably even Cary.

What about Hillsborough? You might not have looked there, but it's in Orange County (much better schools than Durham--lots of professors' and academics' kids) and closer to that location than any of the places you originally asked about.

Here's the City-Data page on Hillsborough.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:39 AM

25 posts, read 33,022 times
Durham isn't an option based on schools. I get that one or two might not be bad, but that narrows the prospective areas we can live in greatly. Like I said, we are open to areas and schools but want an academically sound school that is safe. Hillsborough had no rental options and I will not buy until we know the area better. I am surprised by how expensive rent is in the area. We would be better off buying but I don't feel comfortable doing that yet.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:43 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Oh wow - Hillsborough really seems perfect for you. I just looked on realtor.com and there are currently four houses for rent there. I'm not seeing a four bedroom though. But if you can get to that town somehow I think you'd love it.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:03 PM

Deveno, Durham actually had the top rated high school in the state according to that US News Best High Schools list. They picked Durham School of the Arts, which is a public high school, as the best in NC. I don't know if that would be a good fit for your kids or not, but you might want to check it out a little more. Search North Carolina High Schools | US News

Based on what you said you liked about Cary, I really think if you can find something in Brier Creek in your price range that will be a great spot for you. There are a lot of activities and amenities there. Otherwise, I agree with NYC2RDU to look in North Raleigh.

Hillsborough is a very quaint small town somewhat removed from the rest of the Triangle, but I'm getting a feel from your posts that you would like to be more centrally located. It's worth checking out, though, and Orange County Schools, while more rural, are quite good.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:12 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
4 bedrooms and <$1900 is easy for a rental on MLS in W Cary/Morrisville/Apex. Availability seems to be more May 1, but there are some currently available and some in April.

I would want to be near 540.

Two dogs may well be two deal-breakers for a LOT of landlords.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:21 PM

Durham would probably be even cheaper housing wise.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:22 PM

25 posts, read 33,022 times
Brier Creek has nothing in our price range to rent or buy. Durham Performing Arts HS sounds great but guessing it is a lottery based school so no guarantee my child will go there until we moved in district which I can't do with no guarantee. As much as a commute will not be easy, we will have to do that in order to have our kids in a good district that we can afford. Thanks for all the help! Appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary