Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:13 PM

25 posts, read 33,013 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job and will be working in Durham. We are moving from Illinois. We were just in NC for a quick visit and liked Apex, Cary and Wake Forest. Just trying to decide where to rent. We really liked Heritage subdivision in Wake Forest but not as crazy about the high school, and wonder if that is a smaller community with not as much going on? We liked Apex a lot but seems farther out from his job. We like Cary and seems to offer a lot, just not sure on neighborhoods and whether or not we can find a suitable rental quickly. High school is a big deal even though we have kids in all schools, majority are in HS. We like Cary HS, Apex and Panther Creek. I realize Apex is capped but wasn't sure how it works. We are a shocked at how fast rentals go! We are looking to rent for under 1900 and love to be outdoors, running and biking, etc. any suggestions or insight? Also family of 7 with two dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 08:33 PM

36 posts, read 39,522 times
Cary is closer.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:33 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
I would pick Heritage or Rolesville HS over Cary HS in a split second! My grandson attended Cary HS and we removed him from it. I know families who kids are in Heritage and Rolesville HS, the school environment in these schools is much better than Cary HS. Depending on where in Durham your husband will work Wake Forest would work. If he needs to go to downtown Durham he could take 98 from Wake Forest, it's a straight shot. You could also live in N or NW Raleigh. The Brier Creek and Leesville Rd areas. these are the closest to Durham unless you look at Morrisville.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:14 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Most rentals in Cary that are closer to Durham/RTP will be Green Hope HS or Panther Creek HS.

Both are excellent schools. West Cary is closer to Durham.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:26 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deveno7 View Post
My husband just got a job and will be working in Durham. We are moving from Illinois. We were just in NC for a quick visit and liked Apex, Cary and Wake Forest. Just trying to decide where to rent. We really liked Heritage subdivision in Wake Forest but not as crazy about the high school, and wonder if that is a smaller community with not as much going on? We liked Apex a lot but seems farther out from his job. We like Cary and seems to offer a lot, just not sure on neighborhoods and whether or not we can find a suitable rental quickly. High school is a big deal even though we have kids in all schools, majority are in HS. We like Cary HS, Apex and Panther Creek. I realize Apex is capped but wasn't sure how it works. We are a shocked at how fast rentals go! We are looking to rent for under 1900 and love to be outdoors, running and biking, etc. any suggestions or insight? Also family of 7 with two dogs.
I'd have kid in Heritage over Cary or Panther Creek - I don't know much about Apex. There is plenty going in Wake Forest. I've only been to Apex a few times...but it seems like having nothing much happening, but that could just be it's on the other side of the county and you don't notice.

I worked in Durham for several years....but right off the northern end of Miami on the very edge of RTP so it was a great commute. Other friends live in Heritage and commute to Duke and don't mind their drive....so it really depends exactly where your job is in Durham if you don't want to live in Durham itself.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:26 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
Yup, it absolutely depends on where the job is. I live in Durham and am going to say that either way, Cary is probably closer - would highly encourage you to take a look at living in Durham too, or if the job is located more on the west side of Durham near Chapel Hill, maybe looking there too.

Anyway, do tell us more about the job location - if it's right in RTP then it's an easier commute, but were it near where I live, more centrally located and closer to Orange County, it would be just a little more driving time (it takes me 15 minutes to get to I-40...my major complaint ... there are many businesses around here too)

Old 03-19-2014, 04:30 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Forget getting in a capped school if you are moving this summer.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:51 AM

25 posts, read 33,013 times
The company my husband will be working for is located on Rodolphe street and looks like it is past Durham. We would be open to living in Durham if the schools didn't look so horrible. I take the Great Schools rating lightly, however, all the high schools I saw just looked bad! Seems like all the people from the area we spoke to seem to agree. Anyone from Durham have high schoolers that feel differently? My husband is open to a drive in order for our kids to be in a good school. I will be working from home.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:10 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
Oh wow, yeah that's really north. Maybe Wake Forest would be a great option then. Hopefully someone will chime in about schools; I just don't know. But it seems like a nasty commute from Cary or Apex. Really pretty area right around there.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:32 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Wake Forest Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions+

or
West Cary

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions==

Looks like a bit of a grind either way.
I suggest you start a thread about "Best High Schools in Durham." If you just cannot get happy with what you hear, then maybe back to Wake County.
Think about Leesville area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary