Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 12:59 PM

4 posts, read 4,952 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I just accepted a job in Cary, so my partner and I are going to be moving to the area from Cleveland in the next few weeks. She's getting a transfer with her current job, and her office will be in northwest Raleigh. We are going to be in town this weekend checking out some areas, and would love some advice.

We're looking for a fairly diverse area, somewhere liberal (gay-friendly) with a high proportion of mid-twenty/thirty somethings. We are in our early 30's, no kids, not heavy drinkers/bar goers, but would like an area where we can walk to lots of local cafes and restaurants.

Ideally, neither of us would like to drive more than 30 minutes to work and we'd like to keep our rent to around $1200/mo. We've heard good things about Durham and Carrboro, but aren't sure how far they are from where we'll be working...

Please help us!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 01:15 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webs17 View Post
Hello!

I just accepted a job in Cary, so my partner and I are going to be moving to the area from Cleveland in the next few weeks. She's getting a transfer with her current job, and her office will be in northwest Raleigh. We are going to be in town this weekend checking out some areas, and would love some advice.

We're looking for a fairly diverse area, somewhere liberal (gay-friendly) with a high proportion of mid-twenty/thirty somethings. We are in our early 30's, no kids, not heavy drinkers/bar goers, but would like an area where we can walk to lots of local cafes and restaurants.

Ideally, neither of us would like to drive more than 30 minutes to work and we'd like to keep our rent to around $1200/mo. We've heard good things about Durham and Carrboro, but aren't sure how far they are from where we'll be working...

Please help us!

Thanks so much!

Hmm.... Cameron Village near DT Raleigh?

That would be good.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:53 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webs17 View Post
Hello!

Please help us!

Thanks so much!
Cameron Village would be a good choice. I think Durham and Carrboro would both fit the bill very well as well. NW Raleigh, if in the Brier Creek area (around the US 70/I-540 intersection), is an easy commute from Durham, especially being a reverse-commute. For Cary, the question is where you are working. If in West Cary (off NC-540/I-540, or the Harrison Ave. area, etc.), Durham is an easy, reverse commute. If you are going to be closer to the US 1/US 64 part of Cary, Raleigh would make a lot more sense to live in.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:06 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Carrboro would put you on the long end of a typical Triangle Commute at 35-45 minutes to north Raleigh (depending on exactly where your start and end points are).

Old 03-19-2014, 03:45 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Anywhere in the Triangle will be GLBT-friendly. Feel free to PM me with questions on that regard (I grew up here). Check out the LGBT Center of Raleigh as well. The Community here is HUGE and more events than you can keep up with.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:14 PM

Thanks so much everyone! We're definitely going to look into Cameron Village, and try to get a better feel for exactly where our jobs are in relation to everything.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:29 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
when you think "Cameron Village" - encompass the entire area from Wade Avenue, Glenwood, Peace/Clark St, and Oberlin. That will include all of the Bishop ______ complexes and Parkridge as well.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:40 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,609 times
Is there an area of Cleveland that you are trying to find something similar down here? Like a Shaker Square or Lakewood, etc? Not sure if you saw the recent thread on Columbus/Grandview Heights but might be worth a read on some differences between here and the Midwestern/NorthEastern cities.

That said, Cameron Village is well worth a visit. The Five Points area is cute and nice as well (kind of like Cedar-Lee or Cedar-Fairmount area) although that is mostly houses. There are some new townhouses being built there.

You might also like downtown Durham, which stretches the commute a bit (25-30 minutes to NW Raleigh, maybe a bit longer or shorter to Cary depending on exact location) but has a fun vibe with a great farmer's market (although it pales in size compared to the Westside Market), lots of food trucks and great food. Main St and Brightleaf Square have an Ohio City/Tremont feel to them.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:52 PM

Thanks, mskb - that thread was definitely helpful!

I live in Lakewood now and I love it, mainly because of the mix of cool old homes and local retail and restaurant options all within walking distance.

I look forward to checking out some of these areas this weekend!

Old 03-21-2014, 04:13 PM

191 posts, read 276,037 times
Welcome to the Triangle (both you and your partner)! Oh, and congrats on landing TWO jobs!

All the above is sound, solid advice. I grew up in Cleveland (south actually half-way to Akron). Anyway, you'll love the winters here compared to Lakewood :-)... The people here are OK but not nearly as diverse or eclectic as NEO IMHO. The good news though is that the Triangle is sort of an oasis in the Carolinas (albeit Charlotte, the Triad, Charleston, Columbia et. al. are truly coming around as well). Another option may be Morrisville... it's growing like gang-busters so hard to say how it will end up... but its geographically relevant to both West Raleigh and Cary work sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary