Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 05:35 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmissi View Post
It's a reputable site blue Nile but they would not price match.

I went to cmi and was not impressed there.
Buy from Blue Nile. They'll take it back if you do not like it, won't they?

I might be a bit of an odd person to ask because my engagement ring is a Tiffany and yes I know they cost more because of the name, but that's what my husband wanted to buy me because that's the first place we looked for a ring and we found one we both liked instantly.

My point being.... buy what you can afford and what you like. Sounds like DD isn't going to negotiate with you... did they give you a reason why? I'd be interested to know why.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
After looking at the cost of diamonds, I researched moissanite for an engagement ring. My wifes ring would have been $20,000 with comparable diamonds, and I spent less than 1/10th of the price. Shes had it for 3 years and absolutely no issues with it at all. She still receives compliments daily, and that includes the women working at jewelry stores. Shes received "your husband must be rich a few times too

The site I bought the moissante from sells loose stones. You can buy the stone and see how it looks. If you don't like it just return it within 14 days.
Moissanite is nice if it's a stone that the person wearing it enjoys. I find them to be duller than I like.

I have looked at them a few times because I was considering buying them instead of diamond earrings... just looked "off" to me somehow.

But, that's because there are certain characteristics of a diamond that they don't seem to quite duplicate. Nothing wrong with that, just think they deserve their own category, just like sapphires, rubies, etc.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
A good alternative to the mined diamond is the lab created one. Almost no flaws, chemically/visually the same as a mined diamond, and no environmental or human labor issues involved.
I haven't looked in ages... do they sell these now?

I have a pair of lab emeralds (Chatham) and they're lovely.

I just went to Chatham's page. Seems they make colored diamonds, but not white.

Interesting!

If they ever made white, I'd buy one of theirs.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:01 PM

5 posts, read 38,880 times
No specific reason given other than this is the price they countered with. Along with the advice that I could always order the other diamond and bring it in to compare to see if I would rather have the other one. Which is why I wanted to get other peoples experience in this.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:29 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I haven't looked in ages... do they sell these now?

I have a pair of lab emeralds (Chatham) and they're lovely.

I just went to Chatham's page. Seems they make colored diamonds, but not white.

Interesting!

If they ever made white, I'd buy one of theirs.
They make them in colorless, I don't know about white, I didn't know diamonds even came in white .

This is a big name in lab made diamonds, I don't know how their prices compare with mined.

Gemesis Diamond Company: Lab-Created Diamond Jewelry

Old 03-24-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
They make them in colorless, I don't know about white, I didn't know diamonds even came in white .

This is a big name in lab made diamonds, I don't know how their prices compare with mined.

Gemesis Diamond Company: Lab-Created Diamond Jewelry
LOL. I meant colorless.

Thanks for the link. That's cool!

Old 03-24-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
No specific reason given other than this is the price they countered with. Along with the advice that I could always order the other diamond and bring it in to compare to see if I would rather have the other one. Which is why I wanted to get other peoples experience in this.
Ahhh. I gotcha. Is this a specialty cut or is it a more common cut?

How close did they get to the price?

Old 03-25-2014, 03:12 PM

5 posts, read 38,880 times
Common cut not hearts and arrows or anything. They are a little over $2k more.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Common cut not hearts and arrows or anything. They are a little over $2k more.

Hmm.... you wanted DD to come down 2k over a price online for a common type of cut?

That stone at Blue Nile must be a very good deal. I've never heard it said that DD is particularly expensive. That's interesting.

Then again, I don't know the price range you're shopping in. If you're wanting to spent 20k, asking them to come down 2k might not feel like much.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:21 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,789,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
Totally OT, but indignity? Are you kidding?! In the end, does it really matter? I'd rather put the money toward a house or my retirement. As a woman, I do NOT feel my dignity is tied to a piece of carbon on my finger! Wow. Keep drinking the diamond industry Kool-Aid.
I'm with you girl. I'm a lawyer and my husband is a doctor, we waste a lot of money on a lot of things, but we went lab-created, no question. The stone I WANTED would have been $20k, with some degree of flaws. Instead, we spent $3k and got exactly what I wanted, but flawless. There's no indignity in getting exactly what you want
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary