Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 06:30 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times

Advertisements

You said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
I've always wondered if it had anything to do with the toxicity of Ikea furniture (particle board + formaldehyde) and a heightened awareness of environmental concerns in the Triangle due to overall higher education level per capita than the Charlotte area.
I replied: "The idea that this area is so incredibly educated that we'd not buy toxic particle board seems a bit far-fetched."

Please show me where I randomly debated a position that nobody put forth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 07:30 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
FTR, the comment about IKEA furniture being toxic and high in formaldehyde is a little off base. IKEA is known for its green initiatives and high EU standards. They also have many solid wood items. We have a fantastic kitchen and king-sized bed as well as many shelving units from IKEA.

Quote:
So, first we cut formaldehyde-based lacquers (1993) from our products. Next, we removed formaldehyde from glue systems used to glue veneer surfaces on furniture. DAVE laptop table, for example, has a fibreboard top that has contributed to cutting formaldehyde emissions by nearly 40% in recent years. The levels are now significantly below EU requirements.
The never ending list - IKEA
IKEA's Green Initiatives: Changing Our Opinion? | Apartment Therapy
IKEA Case Study | The Natural Step
IKEA

Old 03-29-2014, 07:49 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
Short answer.. "for the same reason we don't have a Wegman's."

Old 03-29-2014, 08:21 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It seems to come up every few months. I think it's the third most popular topic behind pizza and Wegman's.
They will build an Ikea in the Triangle when their corporate policy relaxes, and they are allowed to replace the signature meatballs and fries with gravy, with BBQ and Hushpuppies with Honey-butter..

Old 03-29-2014, 09:39 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,355,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Given that there's one to the north of Charlotte, I think that the Triangle's IKEA is more likely to go East of Raleigh toward I95 to draw the Eastern part of the state. I'm thinking more like the Wake/Johnston line on 40.
I doubt there will be one, but I don't see that area being a great location. Making it central to the Triangle would make more sense to me so that it could easily pull from Durham as well as Raleigh.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:42 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think an announcement will be made about IKEA coming to the Triangle in the next 5 years. From everything I've read about how they expand we should be on the list. They like to go into a market that is close to another IKEA for shared infrastructure. They want the population to be 2 million w/in a 60 mile radius of the store, which we just did (2013 Census Estimates: Triangle passes 2 million). I think it will happen.

Right now they're expanding in Miami, Kansas City and St Louis.
I'm with you on that. I have always assumed we'd get one once we reached their population requirements.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:03 AM

360 posts, read 995,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Short answer.. "for the same reason we don't have a Wegman's."
I think the answer to that is a little more complicated. They are a rather small company out of NY, and are slowly spreading outward. They are now as far south as Virginia. It's the same with Sheetz. Based out of Altoona PA and have been slowly spreading outward geographically over the last 10 years. Funny thing about Sheetz is they still use a company out of PA to service their bathrooms. Seems really bizarre to send a guy 500 miles just to change out the toilet mints!

Old 03-29-2014, 10:08 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm with you on that. I have always assumed we'd get one once we reached their population requirements.
<pan to this this thread where folks are lamenting growth>

Old 03-29-2014, 10:09 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
<pan to this this thread where folks are lamenting growth>
I think that is more about unchecked, unplanned growth.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:28 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
They've been in business since 1958 when they had 1 store and now have 345 stores in 42 countries. The first one in the US opened in my home city of Philadelphia in 1985 - nearly 30 years ago and now there are about 40 stores in the US. There is a forum dedicated to just IKEA fans: IKEA FANS: A community of IKEA kitchen design, assembly, furniture, modification, store information and HELP! I think if their business model wasn't working, they'd know it by now.
Yhea. For the same reasons that Wal Mart does well, Ikea will do well when it gets here.

And yes, I will probably go in from time to time and may even make a purchase or two. Not furniture as I tend to like nicer stuff.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary