Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 12:33 PM

862 posts, read 3,548,232 times

Advertisements

One thing the OP should be aware of is that you don't have to "use" (be an active participant) FB or Twitter in order to participate in something. I actually have a FB account solely dedicated to my couponing activities. So all of these apps that I basically sign my life away to in order to save $1.00 here and there (and spam my non existent friends list) have no access to any real information because I choose not to give it to them.

There are also websites that use FB as a primary means of registration. I CHOOSE to avoid the "easier" way than subject myself to the over reaching clutches of FB in other aspects of my online life by picking the tiny register by email link. I think the only option that this didn't exist was Pinterest. I slightly regretted it because I had to go in there and change default settings that were cluttering up my FB timeline and friend's newsfeeds.

There are ways to be smart about social media if you just take the effort to go against the grain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 12:36 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Poppydog's response is spot on perfect.

I think that at somepoint, for the people complaining, it becomes more about wanting to be seen as 'counter cultural' or anti-social media, rather than using the tools that work for both the organizations and reach the greatest amount of people with the lowest cost.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:48 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Poppydog's response is spot on perfect.

I think that at somepoint, for the people complaining, it becomes more about wanting to be seen as 'counter cultural' or anti-social media, rather than using the tools that work for both the organizations and reach the greatest amount of people with the lowest cost.
I don't care how I am perceived for recognizing that FB and Twitter clearly are improper if used as sole sources of information from public entities.
FB is Edward Snowden gone retail. If recognizing that is considered a counter culture perspective, so be it. Certainly isn't my goal or care.

City Data is great social media, and the forum venue and environment are, IMO, vastly superior to FB or Twitter.
No ads, either.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:11 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
City-Data is a great forum, but you cannot reach the vast audience that you can on facebook. Far more people have the potential to see a promotion from Wake Co Animal Center on facebook than they would on city-data if it even meets the terms of service here.

I respect people's decision to be on facebook or not. I'm certainly not trying to convince folks to join, but just wanted to point out that the reason organizations do these promotions on facebook is because it's really a very effective way to raise awareness and money, which is what it's all about for them.

One of my best friends (really!) was on facebook for awhile, but then got freaked out about it and deleted her account. Frankly I think she's a little paranoid, but I don't tell her that or try to convince her to come back. If you're careful with what you post and what apps you use you really don't have much to worry about IMO.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I don't care how I am perceived for recognizing that FB and Twitter clearly are improper if used as sole sources of information from public entities.
FB is Edward Snowden gone retail. If recognizing that is considered a counter culture perspective, so be it. Certainly isn't my goal or care.

City Data is great social media, and the forum venue and environment are, IMO, vastly superior to FB or Twitter.
No ads, either.
I like city data as well..but for a non-profit it would be worthless...it's an old style message board - not social media. It would not generate any sort of cross traffic, it doesn't allow for any way to run an auction or similar fund raising (even if that was allowed by c-d tos) and it doesn't get near enough traffic.

If one hates facebook or twitter - then don't use them...but to complain that they are tools for non-profits to get their message out cheaply to many, many people is...well...silly. And if it's that upsetting, simply do not donate to the groups that do use them.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I like city data as well..but for a non-profit it would be worthless...it's an old style message board - not social media. It would not generate any sort of cross traffic, it doesn't allow for any way to run an auction or similar fund raising (even if that was allowed by c-d tos) and it doesn't get near enough traffic.

If one hates facebook or twitter - then don't use them...but to complain that they are tools for non-profits to get their message out cheaply to many, many people is...well...silly. And if it's that upsetting, simply do not donate to the groups that do use them.
CD and other forums are definitely social media. The term "social" is definitive. Pop social media may be wealthy beyond belief, but social is social.

And, yes, if I can only donate to a charity via FB, I can find more private ways to handle a donation appropriately and plenty of quite worthy needs beyond any I could possibly fund anyway.

There was no "complaint."

Old 03-29-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
CD and other forums are definitely social media. The term "social" is definitive. Pop social media may be wealthy beyond belief, but social is social.

And, yes, if I can only donate to a charity via FB, I can find more private ways to handle a donation appropriately and plenty of quite worthy needs beyond any I could possibly fund anyway.

There was no "complaint."
While a message board can have social aspects....there is no easy way for information to be shared or targeted in such a way that you know people are going to see it....it's not social media as a way to spread information. It's great for self-contained 'niche' population/interest groups that know where to look.

Now, the NC forums are active and chances are many local folks will see it. However, some areas have boards that are dead - it's not going to do much good for a non-profit to post there (even if they could, which they can't) because chances are people aren't even there to look. If they are running their own message board....they still need a way to drive people to the site.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:19 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I agree with the posts raised thus far. Facebook is a valuable resource for nonprofits. Though change is coming. Unless you pay to "promote" your posts on Facebook they reach only a small fraction of your "followers". And that fraction is about to get smaller.

Of course that doesn't mean people can't actively visit your site, but it will have an impact.

Facebook Is Making It Harder to Reach Audiences Without Paying - TIME

Old 03-29-2014, 02:38 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Ehhh...Facebook changes their algorithm all the time. We have advertised through them, but did not see much difference if any when we ran the ad vs when we engage with fans through status updates. You just have to be aware of what kind of status updates work and what kind don't. It needs to be something that makes people want to respond and want to share it. Photos help a lot. Videos are useful, but I find that photos work better because your message can travel with them as they get shared.

For the organizations that I work with the figures quoted in that TIME article are way, way off. We regularly get at least 50% or more in organic (not boosted) reach and views and often get more organic reach than we have followers. We're not Coke or Pepsi, though, but as I mentioned have about 35,000 fans on one fb site I administer, so not small potatoes either.

Last edited by poppydog; 03-29-2014 at 02:47 PM..

Old 03-29-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
While a message board can have social aspects....there is no easy way for information to be shared or targeted in such a way that you know people are going to see it....it's not social media as a way to spread information. It's great for self-contained 'niche' population/interest groups that know where to look.

Now, the NC forums are active and chances are many local folks will see it. However, some areas have boards that are dead - it's not going to do much good for a non-profit to post there (even if they could, which they can't) because chances are people aren't even there to look. If they are running their own message board....they still need a way to drive people to the site.
The term "Social media" when twisted to conflate "social" with "blatant advertising" is one of the reasons that "social media advertising" gets some measure of disrespect. Of course, privacy is the main reason.

People who opt into a forum will see information they choose to see just as people who opt into media advertising sites will see information they choose to see.

I am not saying that CD is a great place for a non-profit to post.
Just that it is certainly more private, more straightforward, and more ethically operated than FB or Twitter.
Plus, just a LOT more pleasant than the bombardment I get from FB ads.

Sure, a non-profit should advertise on FB. It does astound me, however, how many fail to offer links to their standalone sites instead of their FB page.
That is where they lose me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary