U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-06-2007, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,143 times
Default Low cost of living, low crime in and around Raleigh?

I am in my early 20s and I am trying to save up some money for a home. I can't really afford anything above 150s, but I would like to know of an area either in Raleigh or around Raleigh that has low crime and affordable. I don't really care if its more city or country as I have lived in both. Also, I wouldn't want a far drive to work (no longer than 40 min). I currently work near Capital Blvd. Any help will be much appreciated as I have only lived in the area for a short time and don't really know much about the safe and affordable areas. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 01:19 PM

510 posts, read 955,058 times
Default I know of a subdivision!

There is a great subdivision in Apex called Sugarland Run. My husband and I bought here a year ago and love it. The houses are 1100 to 1500 sq feet with .20 to .25 of land. Our backyard feels huge compared to all of the new subdivisions in the area. The houses range from 145,000 to 160,000. The houses in this subdivision sell fast...I'm talking a week. We have a HOA, so the common grounds are kept up wonderfully. The houses are 10 years old. Some people have taken care of there houses better than others (like all neighborhoods)...but for the most part the houses are very nice. Very safe area and it takes my husband 20 minutes to get to work in downtown Raleigh. If you are interested in this neighborhood I suggest you have your buyers agent keep a close watch to see when a house in our neighborhood is for sale..since they go so fast. Family friendly and professionals live here. It's great. Don't rush in the buying process. Find something you really like. My husband and I looked for 2 years until we found a perfect place for us. The most important thing is to find a house that has been Taken Care Of! We didn't want to pour money into improvements with our first house and in this price range...that can happen. Our neighborhood is a hidden gem.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:09 PM

161 posts, read 299,472 times
Hi I have been living in Raleigh for 4 mths and no expert but I know that Cary is supposedly rated highly in terms of safety. However, I don't know what the houses are worth. That might be a good start for you.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:42 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,763,136 times
Cary is a great, safe place to live... but home prices here have risen in the last few years becuase of the influx from the positive press.

Apex and Holly Springs were both rated in the top 20 places to live last year and still have many affordable homes. The commute may take longer however, but 540 is expanding to those areas.

If you want to move north of Raleigh, there is Wake Forest and many small cities. East of Raleigh there is Knightdale, Wendell and Zebulon. Both are within 25-30 minutes of Capital Blvd. All are pretty safe but of course you should review each neighborhood as it can vary widely within a city.

Contact a reputable Realtor, the best way is to ask your friends and co-workers for a referral. Take your time and ask for advice, its a big decision but a great step!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:44 AM

250 posts, read 883,732 times
Hedingham in NE Raleigh comes to mind. There are a number of neighborhoods in NE Raleigh that are affordable and safe communities. Why have a long commute when you don't have to?

Old 12-07-2007, 04:13 PM

89 posts, read 688,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cary_nc View Post
Hedingham in NE Raleigh comes to mind. There are a number of neighborhoods in NE Raleigh that are affordable and safe communities. Why have a long commute when you don't have to?
I live in Hedingham and am very happy for the most part... my only complaint is the petty crime and vandalism that seems to go on quite a bit... my bike was stolen right from my backyard in the middle of the afternoon within weeks of moving here. On the plus side, my neighbors are very nice and I like the proximity to 440 and all of the amenities that I need.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:54 PM

306 posts, read 823,131 times
I have a friend who lives in Hedingham and she loves it, plus the HOA is only $35 per month, and with that you get access to the rec room, gym, pool (including classes) and afternoon tee-offs on the golf course. Not bad. And she said there are lots of condos on the area for sale and some are very reasonable. Her mom even moved in there.

Take a look:

Condo/Townhouse/Co-Op - 2109 TURTLE POINT DRIVE, Raleigh, NC, 27604 - Realtor.com

Condo/Townhouse/Co-Op - 5375 Coghill, Raleigh, NC, 27604 - Realtor.com

Condo/Townhouse/Co-Op - 5326 Cog Hill, Raleigh, NC, 27604 - Realtor.com

Condo/Townhouse/Co-Op - 1646 Oakland Hills, Raleigh, NC, 27604 - Realtor.com

Single Family Home - 4512 Aviemore, Raleigh, NC, 27604 - Realtor.com

Well, if you would like to look at more the zip code there is 27604.

Have fun.

Char
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary