Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 05:34 AM

124 posts, read 187,489 times

Advertisements

I do really want to have home base in Carrboro! I'm open to outside of it if I have to though...Good to gather all the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 06:00 AM

698 posts, read 959,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Some apartment owners/ managers will be getting vacancy notices for end of August in June or even May. Students pretty much know very early when they will be leaving/graduating. The rental market here is not like a non university town. For example we have 9 month leases much more than the typical 12 month lease.
I'm familiar with university town rental scene, the competition can be fierce.

If it's anything like what I'm familiar with there are at least 10 people viewing any apartment together and applying at the same time. Landlord gets the pick of the litter so you must be present, not long distance, to apply and view the apartment. And forget it if you have a pet of any kind.

Is this what's going on there?

Old 04-01-2014, 09:23 AM

^ That sounds discouraging! Are you going to be going to school, VTGal?

Old 04-01-2014, 10:34 AM

698 posts, read 959,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get_Glowing View Post
^ That sounds discouraging! Are you going to be going to school, VTGal?
No I'm not
College towns usually have a great vibe, so CH-C is on my list of possibilities.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:40 PM

77 posts, read 188,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
I'm familiar with university town rental scene, the competition can be fierce.

If it's anything like what I'm familiar with there are at least 10 people viewing any apartment together and applying at the same time. Landlord gets the pick of the litter so you must be present, not long distance, to apply and view the apartment. And forget it if you have a pet of any kind.

Is this what's going on there?
I experienced this level of apartment hunting craziness when I was trying to find a 2 bedroom apt/condo to rent in midtown Atlanta with a friend. We lived in the 'hood already and frequently walked/drove around looking for "for rent" signs as lots of places were not advertised online and STILL got insane turnouts for showings.

However, I've lived in Chapel Hill / Carrboro apartments for 4 years and I never found it to be that competitive overall. Maybe it is for the more expensive / historic rentals near campus - and lots of those are "legacy" rentals, that is, they're passed down through friends and by word-of-mouth. I don't think the landlords have to advertise in the McCauley district.

I will say that good rentals go fast and if you find a place you like you better be ready to put down a deposit ASAP. Nice, privately owned places (especially the studios and small apts in private homes) can be hard to find. Any vacancies in the small, privately owned complex that I live in now have been filled by friends of current residents and I don't think the landlord has had to advertise much. When I originally toured it 2 years ago the landlord said "I have another person coming to see it in 15 minutes but if you sign a lease and pay your deposit now, it's yours."

And FWIW, my landlord was asking us to renew our leases by yesterday to avoid a rent increase and they end on May 31, so yes, people are definitely signing leases already for June, July, August (and have been for a couple months).

Old 04-01-2014, 01:45 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,924,304 times
I just helped a family member secure an apartment in Chapel Hill, and we had absolutely no difficulties with any complex we spoke with. Availability dates varied, but all of them had apartments easily available anywhere from 2-4 weeks out.

Note we were not looking at the types of apartments typically rented by students.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:09 PM

77 posts, read 188,430 times
Yeah, I don't think vacancies in the complexes are difficult to find. I just prefer to rent from private owners and that's all I ever look for.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:58 PM

I do really hope to avoid a complex too. Nothing against them, I just like the privacy of a smaller place.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:10 PM

556 posts, read 945,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get_Glowing View Post
I do really hope to avoid a complex too. Nothing against them, I just like the privacy of a smaller place.
I completely understand why you prefer a house or duplex, but it might still be worth looking at some of the complexes. There are quite a few that are geared more towards grad students and young professionals, so they are quiet and you can have as much privacy as you want. Most of the complexes are garden or cottage style, so the experience can be a lot like living in a duplex or townhouse. Glen Lennox in Chapel Hill is especially like this - all single story apartments in rows of 3-4 with lots of green space and feels more like an established neighborhood.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:23 PM

I've heard good things about Glen Lenox, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary