Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:11 AM

266 posts, read 1,025,512 times

Advertisements

We are also relocating and I am so overwhelmed!! It all played out so nicely in my head...ha ha. Now we have searched for a house and nothing is fitting like I had hoped. We have a rising middle school girl and a 4th grader.

Hoping your move goes smoothly, and any input or information you find please pass it along! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 10:22 AM

11 posts, read 19,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLmomof2 View Post
We are also relocating and I am so overwhelmed!! It all played out so nicely in my head...ha ha. Now we have searched for a house and nothing is fitting like I had hoped. We have a rising middle school girl and a 4th grader.

Hoping your move goes smoothly, and any input or information you find please pass it along! Thanks!
Are you looking at the same area I am? (wake forest, rolesville, youngsville - although I'm uncertain about that last one)

Old 04-01-2014, 01:32 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
Please note that the reason you may be having a hard time finding a house is that our inventory is very very low.

If a really great home comes up in a desirable location, it will sell in a matter of days.

Once you know the area or neighborhood that you want, have your agent set you up for instant notifications. It may be that you have to move very quickly OR look for a short term rental until you are here and are ready to pounce upon a home that meets your criteria.

For those of us in the RE business for a while, this is hard to get used to...we've gone from a buyer's market to a seller's market in a very short time.

My last few buyer clients have had to make really FAST decisions and were lucky enough to get the home they wanted BUT we had to make an offer the first day the house hit the market AND we had to be willing to pay very close to full price.

Vicki

Old 04-01-2014, 03:36 PM

11 posts, read 19,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Please note that the reason you may be having a hard time finding a house is that our inventory is very very low.

For those of us in the RE business for a while, this is hard to get used to...we've gone from a buyer's market to a seller's market in a very short time.

Vicki
Vicki, this is interesting because the homes I am looking at, there seem to be a lot and more coming on the market every day. More, some nice ones have been off and on for sale for several years without selling, and that's worrisome to me (either something is wrong with the property, it's way over priced, or something else...) but it looked like a buyers market when I was going through inventory via realtor.com, trulia, and zillow? Is it varying from county to county?

Old 04-01-2014, 03:50 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSnow View Post
Other people who have been relocated by the same company seem to all commute from around the Wake Forest area all the way out to Wilson, NC. So, I've been looking there, Rolesville, and Youngsville just came up too, but the crime was reported as higher and I saw some posts elsewhere citing other issues?
My two cents; I would never move to a place like this (with relatively light traffic and relatively cheap housing) and then subject myself to a long commute like that. If it were me, I would be looking at some closer towns. Clayton, Wendell and Zebulon all seem to have some good schools. Wendell has a magnet school that includes science/tech programs and arts programs, although I don't know how hard it would be to get into that. Another option I would consider would be to buy a cheap house in the Wilson area and send the kids to private school. Maybe it's just me, but I would be very hard-pressed to move halfway across the country and then subject myself to that kind of commute.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:57 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
My two cents; I would never move to a place like this (with relatively light traffic and relatively cheap housing) and then subject myself to a long commute like that. If it were me, I would be looking at some closer towns. Clayton, Wendell and Zebulon all seem to have some good schools. Wendell has a magnet school that includes science/tech programs and arts programs, although I don't know how hard it would be to get into that. Another option I would consider would be to buy a cheap house in the Wilson area and send the kids to private school. Maybe it's just me, but I would be very hard-pressed to move halfway across the country and then subject myself to that kind of commute.
Have you ever been to Wilson?

Old 04-01-2014, 03:58 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSnow View Post
Vicki, this is interesting because the homes I am looking at, there seem to be a lot and more coming on the market every day. More, some nice ones have been off and on for sale for several years without selling, and that's worrisome to me (either something is wrong with the property, it's way over priced, or something else...) but it looked like a buyers market when I was going through inventory via realtor.com, trulia, and zillow? Is it varying from county to county?
Where are you looking at properties? What counties?

You might try Knightdale, Wendell, or Zebulon to cut down on your husband's commute. You can also try Wake Forest (the side that's closer to Zebulon, not the side closer to Raleigh... so kind of the Wake Forest/Rolesville area if that makes sense). Will save him time and get you closer to decent schools.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:11 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Is he a transplant or a native?
Transplant, why?

Old 04-01-2014, 04:22 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,700,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Ah...it makes sense to move close to your job if you work anywhere close to main the Triangle cities....but Wilson? There is not much out there.....it's gonna be a commute to do anything else but work. Short commutes are great...but sometimes there is a hell of a trade-off.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:20 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Have you ever been to Wilson?
No, but I've been to Clayton and Wendell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary