Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:40 AM

351 posts, read 693,511 times

Advertisements

I am looking to paint a few unfinished furniture items (one of them preferably stained but will consider paint). I'm getting one estimate on this Thursday, but I'd like to get another estimate. Two weeks ago, we called Mr. Handyman, and they came for the estimate, but has not gotten back to us with the estimate amount...even with a reminder call. We were hoping to get these items painted before May and the guy coming to estimate on Thursday does not think he'll be able to do anything before the start of May and he doesn't stain.

Does anyone know of a licensed and insured painting company in the Cary area (or who will work in the Cary area) that may be able to paint and stain furniture and may have the available time to do a job quickly without making us pay and arm and a leg?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 10:52 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
I don't know anybody out here that does that. I would probably call some local hardware stores and interior decorators. They might know some independent contractors that do that kind of work.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:18 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
I know you're looking for someone else to do it ... but I had really good luck spray painting an old cane chair with Rustoleum gloss white. If you don't find someone, don't be afraid to try it.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:22 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azile View Post
Does anyone know of a licensed and insured painting company in the Cary area
What kind of license is needed to paint?

Old 04-08-2014, 05:19 PM

351 posts, read 693,511 times
The painting company is what I'm referring to. Most companies have to licensed and insured. Liability, property damage, etc... that sort of thing. Nothing has ever happened with any painting company in the past, but it's nice to know the coverage is there. We are not handy people. We don't really have the ability to do this ourselves without making a huge mess.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:11 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
I want someone to do a hutch for me also. I think most painting companies are
interior/exterior type painters.. I think a furniture painter would be a
special skill set..

Old 04-08-2014, 08:26 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
There is really no such thing as a license to paint.
Tradesmen need to have a Privilege license to work in any town, but that is rarely enforced unless they go to pull a permit and get refused.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:32 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
I know this isn't answering your question, specifically, but....

We stumbled across a new store in Apex this past weekend that sells a product called Chalk Paint, a product designed to refinish furniture. The women who own the shop showed my wife and I all the different ways to use the product and, while we were there, a customer stopped by who had used it and couldn't stop talking about how easy it was to use. She said she did a fairly large buffet table in about an hour (you don't need to prep in anyway, just wipe away dust and loose particles and have at it).

If you can't find what you're looking for, consider the DIY approach.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:52 AM

637 posts, read 1,058,408 times
This thread reminded me of Unpainted Huffhines, featured in the movie Raising Arizona

For those keeping tally, this is the least valuable post I've submitted yet (in the history of the Internet actually), but the sentimental value remains true and valid.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:25 AM

162 posts, read 291,973 times
^^ LOL - "Would you shop at a store called Unpainted Huffhines?"

and -- to make this a somewhat valuable post OP -- why not consider doing the work yourself? I've painted lots of flea market finds and even refinished a couple of pieces. And yes Rustoleum spray paint is amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary