Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 08:53 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxdonkey View Post
There's no noise while standing on the lot I'm considering. There's an entire street worth of obnoxiously loud white noise from 40. Funny thing is that once the homes are built there, they will act as a buffer to further reduce the chance for noise to reach the lot we are considering.

We would have a good ~820' from the road to the lot, and about a 30-40' drop in elevation from I-40.

As for the entire neighborhoods I've seen of theirs, they are exceptionally cookie cutter from the exterior.

Would you mind addressing the topic and relaying your experience with Meritage, instead of stereotyping them as the same "puke inducing" production developer you've seen ruining the rest of Western Wake?

I wasn't impressed with some of their neighborhoods from an exterior perspective. I am, however, impressed with what I've seen thus far of Trenton Pointe.

The cost seems fair, and the neighborhood is limited to 27 sites, and the location is remarkable.

I can't deny that this idea is distressing. Especially when you consider that from an exterior perspective, the homes could end up all being nearly identical. As I understand it, they would permit every other house to be identical... so lots 1, 3, 5, 7 could all be the same home design.

Hopefully, it's unlikely that in a neighborhood of 27 lots with 9 home models and 3 elevations to choose from that you end up with so many identical homes.
if 5 different builders cost:

$x for a local custom builder
$X - 10% for a national production builder that's been around the Triangle for several years
and suddenly a new national builder comes in at $x-30% for their product, which is conveniently located on land that no one else cared to develop - then my experience tells me it is a safer choice for my clients to avoid that project. I have been in a Meritage project, but not Trenton Point.

Every penny comes out of the mint shiny.

So, while Trenton Point - and the similar MI Homes product 300 yards away - are within 10 minutes of my house, I'll likely continue to recommend to my clients that they make a less risky decision with their home purchasing investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 09:08 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
and Vicki is also right - there's a home for everybody, and everybody's decision isn't the same. The production builders wouldn't build a 100th home if they didn't sell the first 99.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:35 PM

222 posts, read 403,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if 5 different builders cost:

$x for a local custom builder
$X - 10% for a national production builder that's been around the Triangle for several years
and suddenly a new national builder comes in at $x-30% for their product, which is conveniently located on land that no one else cared to develop - then my experience tells me it is a safer choice for my clients to avoid that project. I have been in a Meritage project, but not Trenton Point.

Every penny comes out of the mint shiny.

So, while Trenton Point - and the similar MI Homes product 300 yards away - are within 10 minutes of my house, I'll likely continue to recommend to my clients that they make a less risky decision with their home purchasing investment.
We ultimately aren't going the Trenton Pointe route. As for custom vs. national, I'd be willing to bet that some element of that has to do with the average home owner who gravitates toward custom versus the average home owner that gravitates toward production.

If I had to guess, custom home buyers take better care of their investment. It's harder to secure loans for them (from my limited experience), and custom construction (form scratch) requires 20% down. As opposed to a production builder requiring 5-10% down for new construction.

We've always been dead set on custom construction, but I was thoroughly impressed with what I'd seen of Trenton Pointe.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
and Vicki is also right - there's a home for everybody, and everybody's decision isn't the same. The production builders wouldn't build a 100th home if they didn't sell the first 99.
And the custom builder won't answer your calls if you can't secure 20% down.

Definitely something for everyone.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:49 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
And the custom builder won't answer your calls if you can't secure 20% down.

Definitely something for everyone.
Custom resale.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Custom resale.
Well, sure... but I was talking about going with new construction!

We finally settled on a custom resale and signed the purchase agreement today.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Well, sure... but I was talking about going with new construction!

We finally settled on a custom resale and signed the purchase agreement today.
Nice!

Yeah, we bought a custom resale. It just made sense for us. We nearly bought a new custom spec, but we liked the resale better.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Nice!

Yeah, we bought a custom resale. It just made sense for us. We nearly bought a new custom spec, but we liked the resale better.
A custom spec would have run us $650+... a bit much for my desires. We ended up with a great place (if the inspection holds up) for a fraction of that figure, and I can add in every amenity I wanted in the custom spec.

Kudos on your new place as well!

Old 04-11-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
A custom spec would have run us $650+... a bit much for my desires. We ended up with a great place (if the inspection holds up) for a fraction of that figure, and I can add in every amenity I wanted in the custom spec.

Kudos on your new place as well!
Thanks.

We've been here a little over a year, but we love it.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:59 AM

397 posts, read 805,053 times
Many of the higher end homes have perks you're not going to get in a 200k home.

Lots of them have spray foam insualtion in the entire house, more sound deading materials, and a better upgrades included in the base price.

But a lot of it boils down to labor and the quality of work done by the contracters. Sloppy work can be found in both 200k and 600k homes.

There's no perfect home builder and you can find multiple complaints on just about everybody out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary