Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 03:42 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
How old are kids there when they get CP imms normally? Is it rare for kids to get CP?
It's very rare for them to get chicken pox any more....however it does happen....more since that evil Dr. Wakefield became popular. I don't know the age that most kids get the CP shot. My daughter is college age now...and the shot was just being introduced when she was young and she caught the chicken pox (twice - the first case was too mild and didn't give her the antibodies) before getting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 03:46 PM

750 posts, read 853,084 times
Yes. Very controversial "research" he did. Because of him I've got friends whose kids have had no imms since birth.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:47 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,172 times
CDC: Chickenpox

I know that some people are born immune to it. I had chicken pox when I was about 7 years old. I shared a room and sometimes a bed with my sister when I was sick. She never got chicken pox and nobody knows why.

In recent years, I've heard of "Chicken Pox Parties" where parents purposely expose their child(ren) to an infected child so they get it over with. Chicken Pox Parties

You also have the option to selectively vaccinate, but I don't know if that law applies to someone moving here from a different country. Selective/Alternative Vaccination Schedule

Old 04-12-2014, 03:53 PM

Does this mean my son who's had CP doesn't need the shot? Or will he need a blood test to prove he's immune? Anyone know? He never saw a Dr

(8) Varicella vaccine--1 dose administered on or after age 12 months and before age 19 months. However:

(A) An individual with a laboratory test indicating immunity or with a history of varicella disease, documented by a health care provider, parent, guardian or person in loco parentis is not required to receive varicella vaccine. Serologic proof of immunity or documentation of previous illness must be presented whenever a certificate of immunization is required by North Carolina General Statute. The documentation shall include the name of the individual with a history of varicella disease and the approximate date or age of infection. Previous illness shall be documented by:

(i) a written statement from a health care provider documented on or attached to the lifetime immunization card or certificate of immunization; or
(ii) a written statement from the individual's parent, guardian or person in loco parentis attached to the lifetime immunization card or certificate of immunization.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:54 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
My older two kids got the CP shot at five years old. My younger two never got the shot because they were preschool and I chose to wait to see if they got it before they turned five, intending to get it for them if they never got chicken pox. All four of them got the CP, even the immunized ones. It wasn't milder for immunized kids.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:56 PM

People do CP parties here. Here people want their kids to get it do that it's over and done with. I don't know if I agree with that approach.

I've got a friend who thought she had natural immunity. She was a teacher so literally came into contact with the virus hundreds of times. Finally got it she's 50! Another friend if 42 hasn't had it despite 4 of her kids having it.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:59 PM

Does anyone there question the need to immunize babies against Hep B? It's not normally something a baby/ child would catch easily? Don't think anybody here would ever immunize a baby against Hep B unless the parents had Hep B.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:01 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
Oh, and docs just took my word for it that they had it. They said they didn't need to see them because I knew they had been exposed.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:11 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
Does anyone there question the need to immunize babies against Hep B? It's not normally something a baby/ child would catch easily? Don't think anybody here would ever immunize a baby against Hep B unless the parents had Hep B.
I know many, many people that vaccinated their children against Hep. B. Of course the argument is, statistically, what are the chances of an infant being sexually promiscuous or an intravaneous drug user? Nevertheless, I know many people that blindly accept WHATEVER their doctor says without ever researching or questioning things they don't understand so I don't find the first act (vax against Hep. B for infants) any more shocking than the latter.

I've never known a doctor or school to question anything a parent tells them about vaccinations. I would be surprised if they asked for anything more than a signed statement from a licensed medical doctor.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:31 PM

351 posts, read 693,161 times
Ugh, I can't stand the chicken pox parties. Why can't people understand once you get the chicken pox, the virus never actually leaves the body. it goes dormant. if the body's immune system gets compromised, then the virus awakens and then the person gets shingles which can be painful and doesn't completely go away. There's no vaccine to stop that. So the only answer is to stop the chicken pox from ever effecting the body with the vaccine. Nothing is perfect (The varicella vaccine is a live vaccine and in some people who don't know they already have a compromised immune system, it can cause the chicken pox), but at least making it hard for the CP to strike the first time is the best way to prevent shingles.

As long as you have health insurance here, vaccines are free due to Obamacare (Affordable Care act). Whether I like or agree with the vaccines or all the vaccines given, the schools require them. I don't fight that. I want my kids educated. I didn't fight the Hep B vaccine because I was tired out from the birth. I figured it doesn't hurt (besides the pain of the needle) so why not just get it over with. I do think the Hep vaccine is a little silly at such a young age, but you never know if a doctor/nurse accidentally uses a contaminated needle when a shot or blood draw is necessary for the child. It has happened and Hep B is a nasty illness. It's a good vaccine. Supposedly, getting it done at such a young age also helps to reduce the amount of vaccine shots needed later on when the kids are more aware of the shots they have to endure. Kids don't like shots so why make them go through more if it can be avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary