Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:37 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocharoman View Post
We had friends who spent around $8K installing fescue and an irrigation system in Chapel Hill. They spent around $500 a month on water. Once they figured out how much it was to water the property, they let it all go and lost the pretty yard. Their property was about 3/4 of an acre. No way in h#ll would I install fescue in CH. OWASA charges higher rates as your usage goes up.
Something is wrong with this picture. Fescue doesn't stay green in the summer but it doesn't die. it just goes dormant. I know plenty of folks who rarely water in summer and fescue comes back. Now we have to maintain regular maintenance like pre emergent, fertilizer at right time and water at the right time when we do water. Early morning is best...late evening is worse. I bet your friends could have cut way down on the watering and still not lost their yard. It costs way more to have to reinstall no matter what type you choose.

Besides if fescue was so bad why do so many people prefer it. I'll bet in Chapel Hill there are substantially more fescue lawns than any other type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 06:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I've got 13 zones in my yard, with 4 being drip irrigation for my beds.
Thanks - I hadn't thought about the possibility of drip irrigation, just lawn coverage.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:49 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
17k for everything to get Fescue, or free to get Bermuda. I believe you may be overthinking this, as it is just grass. I can't believe they are charging 4k more just for the different sod with same coverage. I believe Fescue and Bermuda are pretty similarly priced?
No kidding! I have a Super Sod pricing sheet that shows $190 per pallet for Elite Tall Fescue (14-20 pallet pricing) and $190 per pallet for Tifway 419 Bermuda or $210 per pallet of TifGrand Bermuda.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocharoman View Post
We had friends who spent around $8K installing fescue and an irrigation system in Chapel Hill. They spent around $500 a month on water.
My summer water bill peaks at about $180/month on an average size lot. I could see getting to $500 if you have a large lot (e.g. 1 acre) with lots of lawn area and water heavily (perhaps excessively). (Note that irrigation is permitted to run 3 days a week in the OWASA service area.)

Old 04-15-2014, 07:10 AM

5,884 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Fescue doesn't stay green in the summer but it doesn't die. it just goes dormant. I know plenty of folks who rarely water in summer and fescue comes back.
The choice is "Do you want brown grass in the summer (fescue) or brown grass in the winter (Zoysia, Bermdua, etc)?" I like the looks of Fescue, especially in the spring when the dogwoods and azaleas are blooming. However, I have given up on the constant fall reseeding and am switching to Bermuda.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:16 AM

My grass is fescue. It's green pretty much all year long.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:39 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
My grass is fescue. It's green pretty much all year long.
Mine too and we don't water too much except that first year. Actually have less to mow in summer is much better than pleasant mowing in the fall. not much mowing at all for a few months in the winter.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:36 AM

1,116 posts, read 1,209,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithkeep View Post
Thanks. Is it easy to seed Fescue if you have already Bermuda? I do not know much about grass as it is our first home.
The problem will be getting rid of the bermuda. It is pretty much impossible to kill completely. What you would need to do is roundup it around early August and then again 2 weeks later. Then wait 2 more weeks and reseed. To make sure the bermuda doesn't come back, the following summer, you'll likely need to use 4 applications of Turflon Ester. If it were me, I'd do nothing now and wait until fall. If the builder insists on grass, he could seed rye which will look good for a little while and will die by the end of the summer.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:03 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,133 times
Pros to Hybrid Bermuda-
No irrigation required
No overseeding
Weed resistant
Grows horizontally to fill in on its own
Very attractive in warm months when properly maintained

Cons to Hybrid Bermuda-
Dormant in winter

Pros to Fescue-
Potentially attractive year-round* (key word-POTENTIALLY)

Cons to Fescue
Needs Irrigation
Needs Aeration/Overseeding annually at a cost of at least a few hundred dollars for the size lawn you will have
Will NOT survive in direct sun conditions no matter how much water you throw at it

I replaced my Fescue with Bermuda after realizing that unless I installed irrigation I had no shot at keeping it alive. Even then, the yearly upkeep costs are far higher than Bermuda.

The last thing to consider is the type of exposure and sun your grass will get. The front of my house faces due East-my front lawn is blasted by sunlight from sunrise until mid afternoon when the sun drops behind the house and trees behind. That much direct sunlight is tailor made for Bermuda.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:40 AM

65 posts, read 92,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
The problem will be getting rid of the bermuda. It is pretty much impossible to kill completely. What you would need to do is roundup it around early August and then again 2 weeks later. Then wait 2 more weeks and reseed. To make sure the bermuda doesn't come back, the following summer, you'll likely need to use 4 applications of Turflon Ester. If it were me, I'd do nothing now and wait until fall. If the builder insists on grass, he could seed rye which will look good for a little while and will die by the end of the summer.
thanks. Will try to do this if we can (with builder).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary