Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 05:39 PM

100 posts, read 135,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
I used to really suffer from pollen in spring. I started regularly putting local honey in my tea. I'm telling you, it works. I have had no problems for the last several years.
Call me a pollen noob but

Why local honey (as opposed to any other type of honey)?

How does local honey help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 06:18 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,662,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oouie433 View Post
Call me a pollen noob but

Why local honey (as opposed to any other type of honey)?

How does local honey help?
Honey is made by bees. Bees use pollen. Local pollen can sometimes help with local allergies by building tolerances to the local pollen.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:28 AM

363 posts, read 1,209,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
I used to really suffer from pollen in spring. I started regularly putting local honey in my tea. I'm telling you, it works. I have had no problems for the last several years.
I'm really going to have to give that a try... I can see some sensible tolerance reasons why it might work

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Have you lived here long? This year was cake compared to previous years where it comes in waves (think multiples of the strongest day this year), and doesn't go away for many weeks.
Been here 8 years. I know this year has not been as bad as others and have certainly lived through the yellow dust clouds but still my reactions in April/May are pretty severe and there is definitely no such thing as a "good year". I'm sure looking forward to around two weeks time which is about when I usually start getting back to normal

Old 04-28-2014, 10:26 AM
WDJ

286 posts, read 786,834 times
I talked to some bee people over the weekend, and when I asked them about eating local honey to help with allergies, they pretty much said that the evidence of its efficacy is mostly anecdotal. Searching info on this on Google reveals that studies have been done, but efficacy hasn't been scientifically demonstrated.

Can Local Honey Help My Allergies?
Quote:
Q: Can local honey help my allergies?

A: No. The theory that taking in small amounts of pollen by eating local honey to build up immunity is FALSE.

Here's why: It's generally the pollen blowing in the wind (released by non-flowering trees, weeds, and grasses) that triggers springtime allergies, not the pollen in flowers carried by bees. So even local honey won’t have much, if any, of the type of pollen setting off your allergies.

Studies show bees don’t just bring flower pollen back to their honeycomb. They bring "tree and grass pollen, in addition to mold spores, diesel particles, and other contaminants," says Palumbo. The problem is that it’s difficult to make a honey from just one kind of pollen (say, weeds and not grass). So, save your local honey for your tea and toast, not for your allergy medicine cabinet.
There is this one study people tend to cite regarding honey with added birch pollen working, but the catch is, 1) additional pollen was added to the honey, and 2) there was no control group of non-honey patients. That said, if you're going to try it out, the bee people were saying to me that you have to match up the pollen and the honey on a monthly basis, as the pollen out there changes.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:34 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,973,771 times
There seems to be something new in the air. Last couple of days, I've woken up with my eyes and nose watering like a fountain.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:19 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
There seems to be something new in the air. Last couple of days, I've woken up with my eyes and nose watering like a fountain.
There is a cold going around; perhaps that's it?
Not sure how a cold usually manifests itself with you but it might not be allergies. Good luck and feel better soon.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:22 AM

25 posts, read 36,185 times
It is definitely Pollen. The last few days have been the worst for me.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:00 PM

230 posts, read 253,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
I agree. I've lived here since 93 and the pollen this season is really taking its toll on me. Even when everything was coated in yellow in the past years, it never had that much of an effect on me. I had to pull weeds with my box of tissues over the weekend...can't stand it for more than 30 mins. I'm miserable out there!

Old 05-13-2014, 01:22 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,148,292 times
This round of hardwood pollen is killing me! This stuff is 20x worse to me, than pine pollen!

Old 05-13-2014, 03:06 PM

118 posts, read 217,081 times
Piggybacking on here to ask: is this year pretty typical in terms of amounts or unusually high? We just came back from a scouting trip to the area, and though we loved it, the pollen was really rough - and I've never once had allergies before. Just curious if this is to be expected every Spring...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary