Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:35 PM

120 posts, read 296,339 times

Advertisements

I've heard Holly Springs is the next Cary / Apex. The area is growing and the new 540 extension can't hurt.

What do you think?

What have you heard?

Would you recommend HS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 08:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I think I've been hearing that since I moved hear back in 2005. I know 540 is a plus, but the proximity Cary has to things does and always will set it apart IMO.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend HS. I just think people need to stop comparing themselves to Cary. "Xxx" is the next Cary is just slick sales talk.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:11 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think I've been hearing that since I moved hear back in 2005. I know 540 is a plus, but the proximity Cary has to things does and always will set it apart IMO.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend HS. I just think people need to stop comparing themselves to Cary. "Xxx" is the next Cary is just slick sales talk.

What this guy said.

Cary is Cary. It's slammed right up next to Raleigh and I can get to downtown Raleigh in 15 minutes from my house. Same time to get to RTP. Cary is very much a central location.

Holly Springs is a growing community that, thanks to 540, is now more convenient to RTP and has homes that are more affordable since it's not Cary, North Raleigh, or Chapel Hill.

That's pretty much the deal.

Besides, everyone knows the new Cary was Apex. Maybe Holly Springs is the new Apex?

Old 04-15-2014, 10:14 PM

420 posts, read 451,639 times
Well...I think it's wiser to look at areas as they stand now than to listen to "hype". Someone on here once wrote that HS reminded her of Cary thirty years ago. Holly Springs still has several stretches of road that make you feel you are in a rural area. Who can say how much of that will remain a decade or two from now? I personally don't ever see this area becoming Cary.

As for accessibility, 540 makes going anywhere in triangle easy including the airport. I am also amazed at how quickly I can get from HS to downtown Raleigh. THAT was a pleasant surprise.

Anyway, I sure hope Holly Springs won't ever have some of the congestion that I see in Crossroads on weekends but who am I kidding? Build and they shall come!

Old 04-15-2014, 10:38 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Love View Post
Well...I think it's wiser to look at areas as they stand now than to listen to "hype". Someone on here once wrote that HS reminded her of Cary thirty years ago. Holly Springs still has several stretches of road that make you feel you are in a rural area. Who can say how much of that will remain a decade or two from now? I personally don't ever see this area becoming Cary.

As for accessibility, 540 makes going anywhere in triangle easy including the airport. I am also amazed at how quickly I can get from HS to downtown Raleigh. THAT was a pleasant surprise.

Anyway, I sure hope Holly Springs won't ever have some of the congestion that I see in Crossroads on weekends but who am I kidding? Build and they shall come!
I remember the Crossroads area before Crossroads was built. It was the middle of nowhere once you got out past South Hills.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:46 PM

637 posts, read 1,057,505 times
In terms of just getting around, the ongoing expansion of 540 probably matters more to this area than anything else so unless you know for sure where you're going to work, I would look very hard at accessibility to it. Sometimes the number of miles you travel matters less than the overall stress factor of the commute. I think I'd rather drive from Northeast Raleigh to Durham via the consistency of 540 rather than the stop and go nature and poorly designed roads going from SW Cary Parkway to same area, but that's only because I care less about number of miles on my car than I do how often I have to hit the brakes.

It REALLY depends on whether you have the type of job where you have a general idea where you'll be working in 5-10 years versus a consulting type that could be potentially commuting around all over the area.. nobody knows for sure, but in terms of that Holly Springs is known for "more house for the money" at the expense of other things, namely you're probably going to be hurting if your next gig is in North Raleigh or Wake Forest. If you know where you're going to be working, it will help you decide where to live. If you really want "not too bad commute to everything" you have to pay the premium and that pretty much leaves you only with North Raleigh, inside the beltline Raleigh, and Cary.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:29 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Cary wouldn't be CARY if it were not for Preston Development. Getting those early developments to be so beautiful on the outskirts is what began all of the appeal. Landscaping of the medians, etc.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:53 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
Holly Springs should grow smartly the best it can and be the best it can. Cary is obviously a fantastic place and is a well known suburb. One of the best. I put it in the same category of Round Rock (Austin) and Plano (Dallas) Suburbs/Towns which has great personalities and have grown so big that they are now cities although they won't admit it.

I think that either Holly Springs or Morrisville are the next really placed Suburbs for future growth. Just make sure the roads make sense. Because it's also a well known fact that some of the original older roads in Cary are screwy. NE MAynard, SE Maynard etc. etc. and Cary Pkwy confused EVERYONE when they first encounter them. I cant tell you how many conversations...

Old 04-16-2014, 08:04 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,022 times
I think it is misleading to say "Cary over HS" when discussing location for commute purposes. Where we are in HS is literally tucked between 2 areas of Cary. The neighborhood next to us is Cary, but would take longer to get places from a home there than coming from our n'hood in HS because of how screwy the town of Cary is shaped due to all the annexation. West Cary or central cary are more compact. Southern Cary is spread out all over.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:20 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Cary wouldn't be CARY if it were not for Preston Development. Getting those early developments to be so beautiful on the outskirts is what began all of the appeal. Landscaping of the medians, etc.
Cary wouldn't be CARY if it were not for Preston Development? Huh?
I am sure that there are some who would say that about MacGregor Downs and others who would say that about Kildaire Farms and others would say that about Lochmere and other developments that pre-dated Preston.

I remember bike riding through Holly Springs when it was less than a blip on the map and I remember when Cary was a tiny fraction of its current self. The key to whether HS is the next Cary is how much land it's able to gobble up for expansion. Without significant land, growth is highly limited in the suburban model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary