Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 10:16 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,664,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
eat some local honey
And that has been mentioned at least twice...and it's throughly debunked. It may 'help' build tolerance after a long, long while....but it will not cure allergies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 09:51 AM

2,904 posts, read 5,903,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
The way my allergist explained it, the more you are exposed to an allergen, you can develop allergies that you did not have before, so people often live here 10 years then start having issues.

On the other hand, you can do way more than just what RedZin listed. There are allergy shots which have a high success rate and also medicines like Rhinocort that I take which takes me from miserable like I have a horrible cold April through the second half of May to feeling 99% like I have no allergies at all.
This is exactly what happened to me. I was here for many years before they developed. They got worse and worse until I saw an allergist and got on immunotherapy. Now, with that plus a nasal spray and 2 pills daily, it's well under control and I can enjoy outside life in the spring and fall. Prior to this, I was useless during those times of year with constantly running nose, crazy itchy eyes, and incessant sneezing. Life is so much better now!

Old 04-21-2014, 12:59 PM

65 posts, read 91,969 times
anything good of itchy eyes?

Old 04-21-2014, 02:06 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,811,495 times
I just read online that Charlotte and Raleigh are in the top cities for allergies. Louisville is #1.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:30 PM

65 posts, read 91,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I just read online that Charlotte and Raleigh are in the top cities for allergies. Louisville is #1.
It is hard to pick one. this whole midwest and south east is bad. Cant say much about north east and west. I even heard some parts of Arizona are bad too but there are not much trees there.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:03 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,840,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
My first real season in NC has been much better than it was in FL. I had year round allergies there. I always use Sterimar nasal spray (cant get here, hubby brings it back from UK) and right now I am using a homeopathic tree pollen remedy when I know I am going to go outside. I refuse to stay inside. I have other allergies including dust so unless I want to live in a bubble I can't avoid it. My pollen.com allergy alert app is helpful. I have found supplements with bromelain help some times too.
If you want to try something other than Sterimar which isotonic sea water, they sell small squirt bottles of generic nasal saline in all drugstores here. It works just as well. And, NeilMed sells the neti pot kit with packets of mix NeilMed Pharmaceuticals - Sinus Rinse Isotonic No need to get your stuff from the UK

Last edited by RaleighLass; 04-21-2014 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-21-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithkeep View Post
anything good of itchy eyes?
Plain old Visine drops. The allergy eye stuff might be a little better. It's always worked well for me.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:09 PM

By the way, a doc recently told me that this would be a terrible, one of the worst pollen seasons. However, I am very surprised it has been less than usual. So glad! You new folks have seen nothing if you base it on what we've had so far. Normally the pollen is much thicker than what I've been seeing so far.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:58 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,607,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
If you want to try something other than Sterimar which isotonic sea water, they sell small squirt bottles of generic nasal saline in all drugstores here. It works just as well. And, NeilMed sells the neti pot kit with packets of mix NeilMed Pharmaceuticals - Sinus Rinse Isotonic No need to get your stuff from the UK
Thanks. I have tried the saline stuff here but the Sterimar spray I use is the one with copper and magnesium with saline. Neilmed stuff does nothing for my congestion. I get olbas too for my congestion, which you can get here but costs a fortune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary