Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 12:58 PM

544 posts, read 852,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post
Life comes with tradeoffs.
To me, this sounds simply like a justification to not pay them more. "They don't work as much as I do, therefore they should make less."

By that rationale, I'd like a refund for the five DOT guys standing around watching the one co-worker digging a hole.

Educating a large class of students (many of them unruly hellions who don't want to be there and have parents who don't give a damn) is difficult, exhausting work.

If life as a teacher was such a cake walk, how come we don't see private sectors workers flocking to the schools for the sweet summer vacation?

Teacher pay comes from the state, with counties that can afford it offering supplements on top of that.

You make time for what is important to you. You invest in what is important to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 12:58 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
.... I am floored as I keep track of this discussion. Several teachers and office staff have resigned at my kids' school over the past four years we've been here. I didn't know all of them personally but it seems like compensation and overall respect for what they do is sorely lacking based on the ones I have spoken to directly.
This isn't just here in the underpaying state of North Carolina. Teachers from the town where we moved from on Long Island, where the average teachers salary is high $90k, with many well into the six figure range, also complained that they weren't respected, that they were expected to do too much and that they spent way too much time on administrative activities than should be expected of them.

Quote:
Just playing devil's advocate here, but what are you suggesting a non-embarassing adequate salary should be for a 9-month work year? Since most starting jobs only get 2 weeks of vacation tops, there is something to be said for being in the office the whole year and most jobs are now expecting more then the typical 40 hours a week.

I have a lot of teacher friends, granted not in NC, but they all like the flexibility of the time off to do other things on all of their numerous breaks throughout the year. Life comes with tradeoffs.
Teachers work ten months out of the year; they start the middle of August and go until the middle of June. And their workdays are a solid eight hours with barely any time for mental or physical breaks and plenty of extra time required during evenings and weekends to keep up with the administrative tasks.

Yes, they have way more time off than most professionals, but unlike many of us who can get in a little late or cut out a little early, or maybe work from home, they have to be "on" all day. If I had to give presentations all day long, as well as prepare and rehearse those presentations on my own time, I'd go insane.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:00 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times
Quote:
Just playing devil's advocate here, but what are you suggesting a non-embarassing adequate salary should be for a 9-month work year? Since most starting jobs only get 2 weeks of vacation tops, there is something to be said for being in the office the whole year and most jobs are now expecting more then the typical 40 hours a week.

I have a lot of teacher friends, granted not in NC, but they all like the flexibility of the time off to do other things on all of their numerous breaks throughout the year. Life comes with tradeoffs.
Okay, let's use that argument.

How many months per year does an NBA or NFL player actually perform?

Old 04-22-2014, 01:02 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
WHO actually decides what teachers get paid?

Is it WCPSS? HOW do they decide? Is it based on the budget they get from the state?

WHO do we need to contact to SUGGEST that we want teacher salaries to increase?

I'm being serious...what can the average person do to fix this issue?

Vicki

VOTE for people on a county and state level that support your position. Petition the county to raise teacher pay since the State is in no hurry to care.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:17 PM

596 posts, read 1,239,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Sure makes sense. Raise beginning teacher pay so that they are making more than someone whose been there 3-4 years. That's a wonderful way to boost morale.

My sister is a teacher, she said pretty much all the young ones she works with are starting to train to pursue other careers.

They need to do something about this and fast. It takes a while to reverse the tsunami that is low morale. Once people start re-training for a new career or packing their boxes to move to another state, they aren't coming back.
I can't wait to get out of this state, and I'm not even a teacher ! This should start a bashing on me ! But that's cool ! To each is own.... I guess.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:19 PM

464 posts, read 1,043,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Okay, let's use that argument.

How many months per year does an NBA or NFL player actually perform?
Perform is the word there. They are paid entertainers, paid from the billions of dollars people who go to the games / buy their merchandise contribute.

Are you trying to correlate entertainment and education?

Old 04-22-2014, 01:23 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
This isn't just here in the underpaying state of North Carolina. Teachers from the town where we moved from on Long Island, where the average teachers salary is high $90k, with many well into the six figure range, also complained that they weren't respected, that they were expected to do too much and that they spent way too much time on administrative activities than should be expected of them.
Oh, I believe it. I've heard many times that teachers have to wear too many hats and don't really get a "clocked out" option for all they do. I applaud all the teachers that can stand up and do that job. I think the low salary is just one problem, overall. I know people that make less money per year but have fewer responsibilities and way more respect for what they contribute.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:05 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Perform is the word there. They are paid entertainers, paid from the billions of dollars people who go to the games / buy their merchandise contribute.

Are you trying to correlate entertainment and education?
Teachers are definitely performers. That's sort of the point. Every day you go teach is like playing a big, important game... all day long.

With very few breaks.

For much less money. People think that pro sports (or hell, even college ones) are more important than the people who educate our children receiving a living wage.

This is nonsense.

I'm sure all the teachers I know would give up most of that "cushy vacation time" for paid summers where they did small group tutoring or something similar to give kids a chance to succeed. Provided that they received a decent, living wage.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:11 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
I wish sincerely that we could avoid the dragging up of discussion of NBA, et al, as it just cheapens the conversation. It is totally irrelevant to underpaying teachers.
I pay teachers, and I believe I don't pay them enough for the job we need to have done. I also believe we do not support them adequate resources for their work.

Once we get past the subsidies for sports via university education scandal kerfuffles and professional stadium bonds and affiliated infrastructure expenses, private salaries and income are none of my business at all.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-22-2014 at 02:52 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 02:52 PM

613 posts, read 746,338 times
I know a teacher ,College buddy, in San Francisco. $92,000 a year plus benefits. Complains about the cost of living, property taxes etc etc on and on......

As I have said before take $ from the budget,loads of waste, and give the teachers a pay raise. Done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary