Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:54 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times

Advertisements

Antenna recommendations are not all that useful, unless its from someone who also lives in your house. (It's like getting recommendations about a cell phone provider, what works for some people in their home might not work for you in yours due to the differing factors).

Distance is only one of several factors that effect your reception. Adjacent or surrounding metallic objects, (wiring inside your attic?), metallic objects between you and the tower, (metal buildings, fences, other towers, etc.) hills & valleys, metallic stuff off to the side of the straight-line path between you and the towers, etc.

That's why the site is so good. it takes most of that into account.
Read the extra stuff on the AntennaWeb - Home website about the different TYPES of antennas.

I know all this as I had a friend who designed cell-phone towers, so I know a bit about signal transmission, but not so much about buying residential antennas. I'm curious - can you buy them (like a cell phone plan), with a 30 day trial and return policy if it doesn't work in your specific geo-location and conditions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 11:34 AM

683 posts, read 1,883,393 times
I have always had trouble with ABC. I get all of the other channels just fine (although sometimes have to move the antenna around when changing from one to another), but the only way I can get ABC (and only sometimes at that) is if I hang the antenna upside down from a chair right by the window (literally). I have no idea how far I am from their signal, but my neighbors seem to get it just fine. I should probably upgrade my antenna.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:58 PM

4 posts, read 5,986 times
If you have trouble picking up WTVD 11.1 try the ABC affiliate, I think out of Greensboro WXLV, on channel 45.1. I have to rotate our indoor antenna but I pick it up better than the "local" ABC 11.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:54 AM

208 posts, read 414,722 times
I have the Mohu Sky antenna mounted in the attic, works like a champ.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:10 AM

531 posts, read 1,982,249 times
Default WTVD still not UHF

Apparently, the problem is that WTVD is "hi-v" while all the other local stations are UHF. I found this out on https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

Thus, my flat leaf antenna pulls in everything else very well, but not Channel 11 (WTVD). The leaf antenna is optimized for UHF stations, so a station like WTVD will not come in well.

I've taped the antenna flat to the ceiling right over a window and that has helped quite a bit, but WTVD still freezes, pixelates and the sound drops out. I hate to have to buy another antenna which can also handle VHF, but it looks like that is the only way to fix it.

FYI, I live 30 miles from most of the broadcast towers.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:00 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
WNCN, our CBS affiliate on virtual channel 17, will move to high-VHF (specifically, physical channel 8) sometime in 2018 or 2019.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:16 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
WNCN, our CBS affiliate on virtual channel 17, will move to high-VHF (specifically, physical channel 8) sometime in 2018 or 2019.
If my experience living elsewhere means anything, VHF-8 is a really nice piece of real estate. With enough watts, that should be a real blowtorch.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:45 AM

5,159 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
If my experience living elsewhere means anything, VHF-8 is a really nice piece of real estate. With enough watts, that should be a real blowtorch.
Could be good or could be problematic. It depends upon several factors other than just the power level. The antenna transmitting pattern and terrain issues also play a major role. And for reception you ideally will need rabbit ears or a good VHF antenna rather than a Mohu or UHF antenna.

And VHF is more subject to noise and interference than UHF for digital TV. In Greensboro, WGHP FOX-8 was allowed by the FCC to move to UHF-35 after VHF-8 resulted in major reception problems. But in other markets such as DC and Atlanta, VHF reception has been good. Also circular polarization rather than horizontal may be of benefit. WTVD is now circular polarization.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:01 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
TylerSC is correct. The majority of broadcast engineers prior to the digital OTA cutover believed that UHF would prove to be superior to high VHF. Sometimes that has proved to be true, sometimes not. Almost all low-VHF stations fled to UHF except in the Great Plains area.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:38 PM

5,159 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
TylerSC is correct. The majority of broadcast engineers prior to the digital OTA cutover believed that UHF would prove to be superior to high VHF. Sometimes that has proved to be true, sometimes not. Almost all low-VHF stations fled to UHF except in the Great Plains area.
At my location in Upstate SC, I get very good reception from WSPA which broadcasts on channel 7. So not all VHF reception may be an issue. But WLOS from Asheville on channel 13 is quite problematic and more subject to noise and interference. But this is because they have a null in their transmitting pattern, whereas WSPA is omnidirectional. Ironically I get WBTV from Charlotte much stronger at 100%, but they have a good omnidirectional UHF signal on channel 23.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary