Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 07:40 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else have a hard time receiving ABC OTA? I'm about 17 miles from the signal source for all the major networks. Everything else comes in clear, but ABC has a lot of disruption. The signal pixellates and skips. I'm using amplified indoor antennas, and really shouldn't have a problem getting a signal 17 miles away (no large trees or buildings in the way). It's disappointing because most of my TV watching is on ABC.

I don't want to waste a lot of time trying out different antennae, so I'm just curious if it's a problem others are having.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 07:55 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,824,805 times
How well you can receive and with what type of antenna you use, really depends on a lot, mostly on your geography.

Check out AntennaWeb - Home
It's a non-commercial site where you input your address and it displays the various broadcast towers in your area, and gives recommendations on what kind/location of antenna that will optimize your reception.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:02 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,883,485 times
Thanks for the website! I had no idea what kind of antenna would work for us........

Old 04-20-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
How well you can receive and with what type of antenna you use, really depends on a lot, mostly on your geography.

Check out AntennaWeb - Home
It's a non-commercial site where you input your address and it displays the various broadcast towers in your area, and gives recommendations on what kind/location of antenna that will optimize your reception.
Yeah, I've used the site ... that's how I knew the distance from the ABC source. It's basically the same distance from the source of the other networks, which is why I'm confused that ABC is coming in so poorly. Even UNC-TV is coming in clearer at further distance in the opposite direction.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:56 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,588,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
... most of my TV watching is on ABC. I don't want to waste a lot of time trying out different antennae, so I'm just curious if it's a problem others are having.
I use an outdoor-type antenna mounted in my attic so it isn't really outdoors. Carefully adjusting the angle of the antenna produced only mediocre reception. Then I got a tip from a television technician. He suggested that lateral (side-to-side) movement would also affect signal strength. I optimized my signal in this way and now get really good over-the-air reception on all channels.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:37 AM

715 posts, read 1,038,851 times
Default Comin in fine for us OTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Does anyone else have a hard time receiving ABC OTA? I'm about 17 miles from the signal source for all the major networks. Everything else comes in clear, but ABC has a lot of disruption. The signal pixellates and skips. I'm using amplified indoor antennas, and really shouldn't have a problem getting a signal 17 miles away (no large trees or buildings in the way). It's disappointing because most of my TV watching is on ABC.

I don't want to waste a lot of time trying out different antennae, so I'm just curious if it's a problem others are having.
Hi apexgds. ABC11 is coming in loud and proud for us here outside of Bahama. We have a chimney-top Philips HDTV antenna oriented to the south. G

Old 04-20-2014, 12:29 PM

5,877 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I had no idea what kind of antenna would work for us........
There has been a lot positive feedback on the Mohu antenna. They are out of Garner.
Home of the #1 Rated Indoor HDTV Antenna - Mohu

Old 04-20-2014, 09:39 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,562,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
There has been a lot positive feedback on the Mohu antenna. They are out of Garner.
Home of the #1 Rated Indoor HDTV Antenna - Mohu
Very cool that Mohu is a local company. I've seen some good press about their products. I'm in a high-rise in Glenwood South and WRAL gets a little sketchy on occasion with my indoor antenna. I'm holding off doing anything until the Skyhouse building is complete because I can tell it's going to interrupt my line-of-sight to the tower farm in Garner. If it becomes a problem I well may be doing some business with Mohu.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:41 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,709,378 times
WTVD was one of the few VHF stations that elected to remain on VHF at the time of the analog-digital cutover. Most VHF stations migrated to UHF. People receiving WTVD should make sure that their antennas are rated to cover VHF as well as UHF. Many of the antennas sold nationwide are UHF-only and will not perform well on VHF.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
WTVD was one of the few VHF stations that elected to remain on VHF at the time of the analog-digital cutover. Most VHF stations migrated to UHF. People receiving WTVD should make sure that their antennas are rated to cover VHF as well as UHF. Many of the antennas sold nationwide are UHF-only and will not perform well on VHF.
Thanks so much for this info wizard! I think you've identified the problem!! I just looked up the antenna that's giving me the most trouble, and it doesn't say anything about VHF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary