Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 05:52 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times

Advertisements

As long as NC keeps bribing companies move to already saturated areas and fools believe the media calling this area Heaven, we need to get rail in place or totally gridlock twice daily.

Perhaps the best answer to this is to discourage further movement into Wake County and RTP. Will save a lot of money on infrastructure.

We do not need these transplants and can't afford to accommodate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 06:03 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
As long as NC keeps bribing companies move to already saturated areas and fools believe the media calling this area Heaven, we need to get rail in place or totally gridlock twice daily.

Perhaps the best answer to this is to discourage further movement into Wake County and RTP. Will save a lot of money on infrastructure.

Were you born and raised in NC?

Also, do you realize that all states give tax breaks to some companies, in order for them to set up shop in their state rather than another state?

Old 01-29-2015, 06:16 PM

129 posts, read 186,452 times
Quote:

Yeah, no one whose actually involved in the local business or government institutions or even generally knows anything about economics wants that.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:52 PM

288 posts, read 361,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
There was an article a few days back that mentioned the best-case scenario for Wake County would have light rail running 8 years after a sales tax is passed. I can't find that article now, I hope I didn't just make it up or something...

As for why Wake might be able to get light rail going sooner than Durham/Orange: My guess is that Durham/Orange (400,000 people) will take longer to build up enough money from their sales tax compared to Wake (1,000,000 people.)

Looking around, there is not a single metro area as small as Durham/Chapel Hill that has electric light rail at all. Oceanside/Escondido CA (which is an outer suburban area of San Diego) has a similar population, and they have a diesel light rail line built for about $475 million in 2008, or roughly $500 million in 2012 dollars. The Durham-Chapel Hill line is $1.34 billion in 2012 dollars, over 2.5 times as expensive.

Let's just say that Durham and Chapel Hill are being very ambitious in their pursuit of light rail. Depending on your perspective this could be considered either visionary or overreaching. Durham and especially Chapel Hill are highly committed to transit (and have the current ridership to show for it), so it might work. In any case I wish them the best of luck.
The more I think about it, you may be right about the timeframe. Charlotte built their first light rail line nine years after the referendum passed, so eight years might be realistic. Durham/Orange are allowing additional years for engineering work and construction, which I assumed was due to the complexity of the project, but perhaps they are padding the schedule to allow more time to collect sales tax. Wake County may still be in a position to catch up.

The funding is also a challenge with the state reneging on more than $300 million promised by the previous administration. I think that the current plan is for the local government to make some sort of real estate deal for land near the stations, which probably isn't the best solution.

My hunch is that Roy Cooper would find a way to make it happen as governor. I normally don't give to political campaigns, but I'm going to make a pretty sizable donation (for my budget) this time around, based mostly on this issue.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:57 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NjNL4Nsa4Q

Old 01-30-2015, 09:00 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
There was an article a few days back that mentioned the best-case scenario for Wake County would have light rail running 8 years after a sales tax is passed. I can't find that article now, I hope I didn't just make it up or something...

As for why Wake might be able to get light rail going sooner than Durham/Orange: My guess is that Durham/Orange (400,000 people) will take longer to build up enough money from their sales tax compared to Wake (1,000,000 people.)
Are you sure that wasn't the time frame for having Commuter Rail post-referendum? I can't remember either, but it does seem like a very short time, however you've got a good point with the funding being quicker because of the larger tax base.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:43 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
In today's N&O:

Christensen: Raleigh needs buses, not rail | Rob Christensen | NewsObserver.com

Old 02-01-2015, 10:59 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Yeah, I read that the other day. Pretty weak piece. "North Carolina has transit needs. Raleigh’s bus system is, at best, mediocre and in need of an upgrade." OK, what does that mean? More frequent service? Greater geographic coverage? Larger capacity buses? Bus priority lanes? Bus only transitways? Enhanced arrival/departure tracking data?

Nowhere in the OpEd did the author offer any suggestions as to WHAT needs to happen to provide robust and well supported mass transit in the community. (Well, 'cept 'me no likey rail'...)

Thanks for the insight Rob . Frankly the good people of City-Data forums have offered more thoughtful examinations of the issues (both for and against) than this hack.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:32 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnheel View Post
We could always just dump the money in our toilets and flush it.
And don't forget to bury your head in the sand.

Oh, I'm sorry, that's too sarcastic. It's not like there are any traffic problems in the Triangle, and no projected population growth. Carry on.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:39 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Yeah, I read that the other day. Pretty weak piece. "North Carolina has transit needs. Raleigh’s bus system is, at best, mediocre and in need of an upgrade." OK, what does that mean? More frequent service? Greater geographic coverage? Larger capacity buses? Bus priority lanes? Bus only transitways? Enhanced arrival/departure tracking data?

Nowhere in the OpEd did the author offer any suggestions as to WHAT needs to happen to provide robust and well supported mass transit in the community. (Well, 'cept 'me no likey rail'...)

Thanks for the insight Rob . Frankly the good people of City-Data forums have offered more thoughtful examinations of the issues (both for and against) than this hack.
The author also seems completely unaware of the large companies like Red Hat and Citrix that are locating their offices in Downtown Raleigh, and appears not to have read the half-dozen (at least) pieces I've read in the N&O over the last 18 months describing transplants from other areas of the country who are used to working in dense urban settings with rail and other transit options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary