Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 11:29 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,122,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Personally, and this is not a popular opinion, I much prefer intolerant people to be themselves as they let the world know where they stand. Being forced to be accepting or quiet about their true beliefs usually just sets up their victims in ways that are insidiuous and difficult to comprehend. I live in Apex now and it's a nice, pretty area but the people who live here have made it clear, through their behavior, that newcomers are simply not welcome. That's fine, but honestly something I wish I had known before buying here.

I don't know if I mentioned it recently but I have always been pleasantly surprised by the level of integregation here. In Chicago, NY, Boston and many other areas, there are gazillion people of all backgrounds, but all living separately from one another. The reality is people are still migrating here in droves, sometimes risking life and limb to get here in the process. It's amazing that we have so much to offer for one another and can remain so divided. I'm so glad that I've had a chance to live in the Raleigh area. No, it's not perfect, but no place is. It is nice to go somewhere and see people smiling and speaking and interacting without all the craziness I've seen in other places. It's really nice.
I think it's just your neighborhood and not an Apex thing, though.

I'm sorry it's been a bad situation for you.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:41 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,856,388 times
That's true. I've been other subdivisions in Apex and it's like night and day. Neighbors speak and interact. We have a tradition now to go to a friend's house to dress up and trick-or-treat over there because everyone decorates theirs houses and more than half the adults come sit outside to watch all the kids. I didn't know if we were intruding but they all treated my kids wonderfully. They had a great (and got way too much candy). I've seen the difference in other subdivisions, here and Cary and Raleigh, which makes me feel kind of restless, you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 06:19 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,880,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
What my cousin told me was that once (or more, I'm not sure), she and her now-husband would go out to eat with a mixed-race couple they knew, and just not get served. This was when they were first dating, so probably 10+ years ago, and I assume in JoCo (he grew up in Benson). So that sort of attitude is not extinct, but I think it's pretty rare these days. Certainly with the large numbers of transplants moving to the Triangle in general, and Clayton specifically, you're going to be seeing less and less of it.
Mixed race couples and lil' brown babies are ALL over JoCo.

As for the racism, that's nearly everywhere; in nearly every city; in nearly every state.

Just stay away from Mule Days in Benson if you don't want the possibility of witnessing such behavior.

As I've said before, Clayton is becoming Cary-lite or Cary East. Probably your best best.

Land value is gonna skyrocket there, too (comparatively speaking to the rest of the county), if it hasn't already.

Maybe you could find something in West Smithfield or just outside of West Smithfield near business 70. Land would probably be even cheaper, and you wouldn't be too far from Clayton.

For shopping, you could always go to the Outlet Mall in Smithfield as another poster mentioned. Tourists love it.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:21 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,856,388 times
Thanks for your response. Believe it or not, I'm probably the only person on the planet that hates malls. I will shop just about anywhere, even online, before I subject myself to a mall visit. I have never liked crowds or people and can't stand the frenzy during the holidays. So, not having a mall is a huge PLUS! ;-)

Old 04-27-2014, 06:31 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,880,262 times
Quote:
Thanks for your response. Believe it or not, I'm probably the only person on the planet that hates malls. I will shop just about anywhere, even online, before I subject myself to a mall visit. I have never liked crowds or people and can't stand the frenzy during the holidays. So, not having a mall is a huge PLUS! ;-)
I hear you. I despise malls, too!

Old 04-27-2014, 10:18 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,232,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom5497 View Post
Friends and co workers that have lived here a long time said the KKK marched in full hood uniforms for years in the Benson Mule Days parade....but that stopped about 6 or 7 years ago.

We have never seen any kkk signs or evidence in the 7 years we have lived here though. I would not list that as a concern at this point....especially in the clayton area.
The last time I saw them out was around 2001, so 13+ years ago. And they were in T-shirts and jeans. NOT in their garb. And Mule Days is a different event all together.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:42 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,250,934 times
Saw a guy in Cary many years ago wearing a "KKK — the original Boys in the Hood" t-shirt. It was the night of OJ Simpson's low speed Bronco chase, so quite a long time ago. We were in a sports bar (I think it was Woody's) and the OJ chase was all over the tvs. Some young African American guys came in and then that guy in the KKK t-shirt with his ZZ Top beard and his friends and then I started feeling _very_ uncomfortable. We left before anything could happen, but I was feeling tense at least.

Racists are out there, but I doubt that it's a huge issue in Clayton any more.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:07 PM

275 posts, read 395,526 times
I am an NC native who returned to NC in 2008. I work in Garner, where I lived from 2008 to July, 2013. I bought a house in Willow Spring, west of I40 in Johnston Country. I have been MUCH happier in Johnston Country than I was in Garner. I am in a pretty secluded neighborhood, on a dead end street. The only people I see are my neighbors. The Grocery store is less than five miles away. I lived at White Oak in Garner, which was close to shopping, but was a flipping Zoo at all times of the day and most of the night.

People are MUCH nicer in Johnston County than in Wake. My girlfriend and I are into local music, particularly Country/******-Tonk. We have stopped attending many venues in the Triangle, because of the Cultural Elitists and just plain snobs. The Country/Roots music scene is full of them. At places like Saxapawhaws and Rebus Market, people have have openly mocked her Southern accent and behaved in all sorts of passive-aggressive little nasty ways.

In Johnston County, we have encountered nothing but friendliness everywhere we go. (The only exceptions are at 40/42 where the trendier types congregate, but we try to avoid that area.) Even at Plan B, a biker bar in Smithfield that's a rough hole-in-the-wall, everyone was nice. We go to Dunn, Erwin, Clayton, and Smithfield all the time. Now we go to Fayetteville instead of Raleigh to places like the Dog House, and always have fun.

During the snows earlier this year, I would not have made it home from Garner if some good ole boys hadn't parked their trucks at the tops of two hills on HWY 50 and towed people up the hills. These guys refused to take any money, and were just trying to help people out, it didn't matter who you were.

As for supposed racism, my girlfriend has two children who are bi-racial. We have encountered no problems at all in Johnston Country, or Harnett Co. either. Is there racism in Johnston? No doubt. But no more than anywhere else. In fact, we have gotten more negative responses in Raleigh and Cary when her kids are with us.

Honestly, this is probably because Country folks tend keep their mouths shut, unlike affluent urbanites who feel a need to openly express their disapproval about everything. But I don't care what people think, only what they do.

So, heck yeah. Johnston County ROCKS. And there is darn better Country music out here too.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:24 PM

204 posts, read 263,058 times
Quote:
Hi scratchie, Thanks for the response. I heard about the KKK issue previously. It is a concern because we have friends from all races, cultures and backgrounds. I think I will drive out there and check it out again and try to talk to some residents there. I don't want to judge a whole community based on a history. I've met people here who seem to think drug dealers and gangs exist on every corner in Chicago. It's really telling how much influence the media has on the way some people think.

Thanks again!
Bigotry is not a conversation I enjoy because it's foundation is pure ignorance but being a victim of it a few times myself and my son we left Clayton 5yrs ago. Is everyone or the majority bigots?! I will say no but it certainly still exits so one must be careful where one goes. I used to live near Archer Lodge where my son went to River Dell elementary and then Archer Lodge middle school. Both schools were ok but personally believe the curriculum could be much more challenging for the children. Wake's curriculum is a little better considering. We left there to across the Johnston / Wake border and still experienced it once but we don't expect to be in this area much longer.

I agree there is a bit more diversity now and growing a little not a lot in Clayton than when we originally moved down.

For doctors and dental we preferred Raleigh.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:45 PM

204 posts, read 263,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Benson KKK leader convicted | abc11.com

Klan in Benson. Just so you know.

That was in 2012, so I doubt the KKK is nonexistent there at this point.

The Price of Silver: June 2006

Stuff like that makes me feel so sad.

Yes it is very sad and that despicable mentality & behavior is repulsive. I stay clear of Johnston County. I've had Hispanic, black and Indian buddies & relatives also targeted the last few years ago much like me and my son have been. It's just more covert now than it was overt 20-30yrs ago. My relatives refuse to visit us here any longer in NC which triggered strongly the idea of leaving the state and moving back to where we are from or closer to at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary