Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 05:39 AM

8,158 posts, read 10,868,156 times

Advertisements

I never think twice about giving these guys money...well, accept one guy. This guy once stopped me at a stop sign near Garner asking for diaper and milk money. He told me I looked and talked like Dale Earnhardt Jr. I gave him a $20
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 07:41 AM

476 posts, read 1,291,130 times
This is a scam. I was approached by a woman in the parking lot at Southpoint Mall. They are everywhere.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:49 AM

75 posts, read 172,856 times
Happened to me couple of months back at a gas station on Davis drive. The guy had a minivan with some teen kids sitting in it and asked if he can get money for gas as he needs to go to Apex. I gave him $5 to get some gas enough to reach his destination. Kept an eye on him for a few more minutes... he didn't fill up any gas but was seen doing this stunt on other people. I didn't go back to confront him as it was only $5 and I had a toddler in my car. But this episode makes me think twice before helping anyone like this.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:51 AM

713 posts, read 1,029,378 times
This happened to me at a professional park outside of Chapel Hill. I was sitting in my car waiting on someone and a guy pulled up next to me and said he was low on gas. I could barely get out the words "I'm just trying to make it to payday, sir..." before he started driving away. He'd obviously popped that question before (and had gotten a negative answer then as well).

Old 04-26-2014, 09:25 AM

6,081 posts, read 4,555,266 times
More than likely, this was a scam. But I have thought that it would be pretty lousy to be in this position and then have everyone act like you had the bubonic plague. I remember years ago having car trouble (this was before cell phones became ubiquitous) and getting the cold shoulder when I asked if anyone would help jump my car off (this happened in north Durham). Finally I was able to walk about a mile to an auto parts store to buy a new battery and replace it myself (since it turns out the battery was spent anyway), so I guess I learned something and it wasn't a totally negative experience. It's unfortunate that we do have to keep our guards up so much because of personal safety or being worried about getting scammed, but I suppose that's the reality we live in.

Something similar happened one time as I was heading to my car from a Harris Teeter store in Greensboro. A man approached me and asked for some money to buy food. I didn't want to just give him money because of the reasons other have mentioned (i.e. robbery target, used to buy drugs, etc.) but I happened to have several slices of hot pizza from their deli in one of my bags. I told him I didn't have any cash on me but I'd be glad to share my pizza if he wanted it. I handed him one of the boxes and I couldn't quite tell whether his look was one of bewilderment (thinking "what am I going to do with this?") or surprised appreciation. He did thank me.

Last edited by Jowel; 04-26-2014 at 09:52 AM..

Old 04-26-2014, 09:43 AM

21,003 posts, read 27,002,338 times
I do not mind helping people if they are people I know very well.

If you encounter someone you do not know who is asking for something, kindly move on about your business. Your life is short to be a victim of bad criminal activity.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:03 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,666,342 times
Some meth addict asked my wife for gas money one time while I was pumping gas. I said NO, my two teenage daughters said NO. The woman promised to pay my wife back.

My wife took the time to write out her address so the woman could send her the money. Then gave her 25 dollars.

Still waiting!

Old 04-26-2014, 10:05 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,015,154 times
My stance is this: If you run out of gas or your car is broken down and there is no family, friends or even co-workers to come willingly help. What is that saying? Its saying that you have screwed over and burnt anyone who has any connection to you. I do not want to be added to that list. There is a large group of these beggers on New Bern ave around the Walmart,circle k etc... One woman always has the story about her car broke down she has her grand babies in the back. No car in sight and apparently they are still stuck because I see her almost every time I'm there. None of these stories are true. I've known few of those characters personally and they are all homeless addicts. Some not even homeless. My other retort is if I can't afford to buy drugs why should I pay for yours? I work I actually might need them.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:48 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,860,575 times
I hate that they are so many scammers because they are even more that are in need, a lot of people are wiling and more than able to help but don't know whether they are helping some one in need or helping someone's habit.

What I usually do is if some one approaches and they are hungry, I will offer to pay for their meal. If the person declines the meal and just wants the money you can tell that they are after something other than a meal.

In regards to being asked about gas, this is my issue about it, I've ran into the situation not here, but in Fayetteville, and in Augusta Ga, both parties said the same exact thing, I drove from out of town to see so and so, now I don't have gas to get back home, can you please spare some gas. The first time I gave the person a few bucks(even though their story didn't make sense, driving out of town when you know you don't have gas to get home), but the very next day I seen the same exact person giving some one else the same line. Needless to say be weary when approach with folks asking for gas, If you have somebody with you, you can offer to use your phone to call who ever xyz person they came to see to help them, if they say don't worry about it, that person doesn't exist.

I say don't be totally against helping a stranger, but be wise, listen to their story, listen to what they are asking for, I've ran into scammers but I have also ran into folks who have came and told me I don't want money can you please just get me a bite to eat. That person they portioned off his meal and fed other folks who were homeless.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:11 AM

6,081 posts, read 4,555,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
My stance is this: If you run out of gas or your car is broken down and there is no family, friends or even co-workers to come willingly help. What is that saying? Its saying that you have screwed over and burnt anyone who has any connection to you. I do not want to be added to that list. There is a large group of these beggers on New Bern ave around the Walmart,circle k etc... One woman always has the story about her car broke down she has her grand babies in the back. No car in sight and apparently they are still stuck because I see her almost every time I'm there. None of these stories are true. I've known few of those characters personally and they are all homeless addicts. Some not even homeless. My other retort is if I can't afford to buy drugs why should I pay for yours? I work I actually might need them.
I see what you're saying about the obtaining property by false pretenses and red flag of not having an immediate support network presents but the few times I've had car trouble, I've been a good distance from home so friends, family/coworkers weren't readily available, but people who just happened to be around were. I wouldn't normally go around asking random strangers for things.

Heck, I even offered to give them a few bucks for their trouble and they still shied away (probably for the reasons you mentioned). This was in Durham, when I made a stop right off I-85 so the wariness people had there may have been different than, say some small town in far eastern or western NC. And I was a teenager on a solo road trip in college at the time, with Durham being several hours from home, so I suppose I was less "refined" in being forward and asking for help than I would be now (and also I had no cell phone/AAA, etc.).

Actually, it would make an interesting sociological study for someone to give one of these hard luck stories and go to different areas and see which areas the people were more receptive and which areas people were brushed off (if that hasn't already been done). It would be fascinating to see the results throughout different parts of North Carolina, which I predict would surprise some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary