Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 03:55 PM

621 posts, read 982,421 times

Advertisements

Looks like the rate of growth is being addressed by school and town officials.

Article One
The Wake County school system may revive a practice in which new subdivisions being built near crowded schools would be reassigned to more distant schools that have space.

Read more here: Wake schools may resume reassigning new subdivisions | Education | NewsObserver.com

Article Two
Town leaders may shoot down plans for a subdivision in western Cary because they say the area’s rapid growth is overburdening roads and schools.

CARY: Citing crowded schools, Cary leaders may reject residential proposal | Cary | CaryNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 05:29 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Ugh. This is what drove me away from Wake County several years ago.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:00 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I'm not crazy about spot nodes, but what else can be done? We cannot put double the number of kids into one school just to keep them near their homes in an area that's expanding at a nearly alarming rate..

Once things settle down and schools are built to accommodate the crowds, things will move back into something more reasonable.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:21 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Can they require the developers to allocate space for a school?

Old 04-28-2014, 09:28 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Can they require the developers to allocate space for a school?
That makes way too much sense Want to build a neighborhood? Fine, build a neighborhood school as well! Or, if the development you are building would only fill 30% of a school than pay for 30% of the school. I do not know what kind of profits builders are making though to know if this is truly feasible but something needs to be done

Old 04-28-2014, 09:45 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
impact fees were ruled unconstitutional (NC constitution) more than 5 years ago now. I'm no legal scholar, so I can't say whether that's good or bad.

But someone is allowing them to develop - and probably rezone for density - without regard to the strains on the #1 item on the county budget. Schools.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:18 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,714,230 times
The irony.... in the mid-1980s, one subdivision developer in north Raleigh reserved a tract for an elementary school and then had a devil of a time getting WCPSS to take him up on the offer. It took years of public pressure before Lead Mine Elementary was built on the tract. Go figure.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:11 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
impact fees were ruled unconstitutional (NC constitution) more than 5 years ago now. I'm no legal scholar, so I can't say whether that's good or bad.

But someone is allowing them to develop - and probably rezone for density - without regard to the strains on the #1 item on the county budget. Schools.
This is the major problem!

Old 04-29-2014, 04:14 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
what choices is your preference?

1) Reassign existing students in a shool when a new development goes in to make room for new students.
2) Assign new students from a new development to a school that has room to accomodate them.
3) Completely uncouple where you live in a district from where your kids go to school.
4) Restrict development.

I assume you like #4 best since you moved to chapel hill.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:36 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm not crazy about spot nodes, but what else can be done? We cannot put double the number of kids into one school just to keep them near their homes in an area that's expanding at a nearly alarming rate..

Once things settle down and schools are built to accommodate the crowds, things will move back into something more reasonable.
I agree. I don't see much other solution.

People who already live in the area get to stay. They don't get pushed out. So simple even a 5 year old can see the fairness of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary