Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 11:28 AM

750 posts, read 853,913 times

Advertisements

And strangely you have wayyyy more wildlife there than suburban Johannesburg too. Never saw one wild animal you seem to have deer, foxes, bears!, skunks raccoons etc. And doubting myself I asked my 73 year old father who lived all over Africa for 60 years and he saw 1 snake on a golf course. I bet 60 year olds there will report far more sightings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 01:57 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
And strangely you have wayyyy more wildlife there than suburban Johannesburg too. Never saw one wild animal you seem to have deer, foxes, bears!, skunks raccoons etc. And doubting myself I asked my 73 year old father who lived all over Africa for 60 years and he saw 1 snake on a golf course. I bet 60 year olds there will report far more sightings.
He's from Johannesburg (I'm sure that that can mean a huge area, I don't know him or SA that well) but my point is, that in asking about it, you get far more responses from people that actually do run into them, and people realize where they might have seen one, once.

I moved here from Minnesota, one of the least snakey places in the US (too cold.) I did see a rattlesnake once when I was fly fishing in Minnesota. If someone were to ask about snakes there, I would be the first to pipe up about seeing a venomous rattlesnake.

My point is that in worrying and asking about it, you are pandering to confirmation bias. If I ask "is it safe to go to the West Ham/Chelsea football match?" I am bound to get a response that raises a different reaction than "I'm really worried about the violence from Hooligans at the West Ham/Chelsea football match, how bad is it?" If I ask "Is it safe to vaccinate my kids?" I am going to get a different response and have a different reaction than "What are the major side effects of vaccination?"

My point is that unless you are out bushwhacking, you aren't going to really deal with them, especially if you don't live in the woods but rather an established neighborhood, and mow the lawn, etc...

Truly, I don't mean to belittle your phobia of snakes; I am empathetic to the anxiety it obviously causes you. But focusing and obsessing on it isn't doing you any favors, but rather making a mountain out of a molehill. I spend a lot of time outdoors. I only ever see snakes when I am truly out in the woods away from civilization hunting or fishing. Walking around, doing work in my landlady's overgrown semi maintained lawn, hiking and walking established trails, I don't see them. But if you ask, people will have their stories for you.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:11 PM

I hope you are right! I'll be sure to come back and let you know if my yard is overrun with copperheads!

Old 05-22-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I hope you are right! I'll be sure to come back and let you know if my yard is overrun with copperheads!
Or, another way of looking at it, would this be one of the most popular places in the country for relocating and people with families, if there was a snake problem?

Old 05-22-2014, 08:27 PM

122 posts, read 151,475 times
That's what my dear husband keeps saying! We are moving from Cali, and he keeps saying it's not that bad.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenloveralways View Post
That's what my dear husband keeps saying! We are moving from Cali, and he keeps saying it's not that bad.
And I'm sure if you asked someone (i.e, a veterinarian) they could tell you all about rattlesnakes in California.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:58 AM

I'd say most people prob don't love finding snakes but accept it/get over it. I don't know if I can reach that level when I have to whizz past the photos in this thread lol. I know it's ridiculous and I can almost laugh at myself but don't really know what I'll do if/when it happens

Old 05-23-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I'd say most people prob don't love finding snakes but accept it/get over it. I don't know if I can reach that level when I have to whizz past the photos in this thread lol. I know it's ridiculous and I can almost laugh at myself but don't really know what I'll do if/when it happens
Your fear is not ridiculous. Lots of us have a visceral, revolting reaction to snakes. Keep in mind, if its unique enough that people take pictures of them, how common could they be, really?

Old 05-23-2014, 07:44 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
There aren't that many snakes here in the suburbs. The smaller your lot and the lower the number of trees, the less likely you'll see one. That said, we have been in our new house just over a year and we saw a snake beside the curb last summer while headed toward the sidewalk one evening to take a walk. It was a very small snake, and it was just a black snake. No biggie.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:55 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
Wife was going out to the garage yesterday evening, and saw a snake. Garage doors had been open all day, as we were outside doing yard work most of the afternoon. He eluded my efforts to chase him back out onto the driveway, and managed to get under the refrigerator. I blocked one side, and tried to "shoo" him out the other side to no avail. Spent well over an hour trying to find him. Took lower back panel off fridge off to look inside by the mechanicals, etc. He must have escaped when I had my back turned. I searched all over the garage for him. I poured some powder on the floor around the fridge last night before I went to bed. This AM, there were no signs of him passing through the powder. I've moved everything in the garage, even got a lot of much needed cleaning done out there today, but no sign of the snake. He either hid VERY well, or left last night!

* I'm pretty sure it was a rat snake. Family still doesn't want to go into the garage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary