Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 07:07 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,551,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
It most likely was mistaken for another snake. Copperheads usually give birth in late summer to early fall and will have the yellow-greenish tail. Also, they're about 8"-10" long when born.
:-(

I know it was the little garter snake I left alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 07:12 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,598,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
:-(

I know it was the little garter snake I left alone.
Everybody thinks the snake they see in the yard is a copperhead.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:19 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,099,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I installed latches on all of our toilet lids to keep them closed down as tight as we can, since entry through toilets seems to be the number one means that snakes use to enter homes. Just have to make sure to turn the light on and give a look before sitting down in the middle of the night.
you really shouldn't do that to these people.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:35 PM

8,158 posts, read 10,876,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Everybody thinks the snake they see in the yard is a copperhead.
A few years ago our neighbor comes over screaming her hubby just killed a copperhead. It turns out that it was really a Garder Snake.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:48 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,150,631 times
I too had a neighbor once who panicked at the sight of a garter snake, had shovel in hand, ready to kill it. He rang my doorbell and asked if I could confirm that it was a copperhead. It was a garter snake, with long yellow stripes running the length of it's body. They look NOTHING at all like copperheads. I had seen the same snake, or one just like it a few days before under my deck.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:56 AM

Well, I did what I rarely ever do. I killed a non-venomous snake. After my encounter with the mean black racer a year or two ago, I decided that I wouldn't let another "mean" snake stick around. I walked out with a trash bag, by my car, and there on the driveway beside my vehicle sat a black rat snake. Might be the one from the garage a few days ago, can't be sure. I grabbed a shovel and was going to persuade him back to the wooded area. He coiled up, hissed, and struck at the shovel a few times. So, he got the shovel. Not my usual M.O., but the kids had JUST asked if they could go out and play, and I told them as soon as they finished lunch, they could. They absolutely would have encountered this snake. And although I'm sure they'd come running inside yelling for me, I can't risk them stumbling across a snake that readily coils and strikes. My days of leniency are over. Coil and strike at me, and you get the shovel, birdshot, or a pellet!

Old 06-11-2014, 02:09 PM

749 posts, read 849,426 times
Dear Big Kahuna
Your life is like one long horror movie.

I really need to know where you live so that I buy a house far away.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:13 PM

I'd rather see a snake in my yard than a mouse or roach in the house! I just wish these snakes would take the "flight" of the "fight or flight" option when I approach them.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:17 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,118,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I installed latches on all of our toilet lids to keep them closed down as tight as we can, since entry through toilets seems to be the number one means that snakes use to enter homes. Just have to make sure to turn the light on and give a look before sitting down in the middle of the night.
I don't know who started that idea but it is totally bogus. A snake would have to open up your sewage drain line and crawl up through it, turning 45 or 90 degree turns to get to any particular toilet. Even a snake intelligent enough to do this would have no reason to. Rats, mice, insects and other food sources are not in the drain lines.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:47 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,572,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
I don't know who started that idea but it is totally bogus. A snake would have to open up your sewage drain line and crawl up through it, turning 45 or 90 degree turns to get to any particular toilet. Even a snake intelligent enough to do this would have no reason to. Rats, mice, insects and other food sources are not in the drain lines.
When I was a youngster our next-door neighbor lady told everyone about a rat which came up from the sewers, into her toilet, and tried to climb out. She slammed the lid, flushed several times, and followed up with a dose of Drano to discourage further intrusions.

I didn't see the rat, but suppose the story was true. On the other hand, that woman was known to drink a little ...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary