Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:27 PM

4,232 posts, read 3,148,550 times

Advertisements

Every dog I've owned over the last 20 years has been bitten by a copperhead (up here at Falls Lake). While these were/are good sized dogs, the impact was minimal. Localized swelling for a few days treated with Benedryl. I doubt a copperhead could kill a large dog unless there were other issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 08:09 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,267,650 times
Yeah, that decapitated head biting the dog and killing it sounds a bit urban legendy to me. I'm not saying it couldn't happen. Saw a YouTube video of a decapitated copperhead biting itself the other day, but it certainly sounds unlikely. Copperhead bites are rarely fatal in dogs, even small dogs.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:56 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,768,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghavkashi View Post
I am contemplating moving to Raleigh, NC area from Detroit metro. The only reason I am thinking of the move is to get out of the terrible/harsh winter that we experienced this year. After reading few articles online and seeing statistics, I see the RTL area and the NC state in general has a lot of snakes. Is it true? I get chills even imagining seeing a snake in my garden. How worried should I be with this factor? How common are snakes in a city like Cary and surroundings? In Michigan we have snakes, but most of them are not poisonous and we dont see them in the metro area that is densely populated.
Do you have a job lined up? You would want to do that before deciding to move somewhere. The newer the area in a fast-growing suburb like Cary, the more likely that displaced animals that used to live there may still be around. Also places with woods and streams are where you'll find snakes.

If the ONLY reason you are leaving Detroit is the weather, there are lots of places that don't have that kind of winters, that also don't have snakes. And probably have a better job market (though it depends on your field). Is Cary the only place you have considered? There are lots of states/metros out there that don't get the winters Michigan does (NC does get snow, too, though nothing like MI). Unfortunately, generally warmer weather tends to correlate with more outdoor critters.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:02 AM

222 posts, read 403,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
You are giving completely incorrect, non-scientific information.

Copperheads are not more likely to leave if harassed, and plenty of pets are bitten by them. Ask any local vet.

Copperhead Snakes
Exactly what I'd read... their natural threat response is to strike and deliver a small, non-lethal dose of venom in a bite. Whereas most other snakes will give more obvious warnings such as a moccassin showing off it's pink mouth and fangs as a threat posture, a cobra fanning out and rising off the ground, a rattler using it's rattle, etc. Copperheads are notorious for giving little to no warning of their presence or the fact that they feel threatened. Their threat response is defined as a small bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I didn't want to send her back out to snake-land
Thanks a ton for your reply... hugely useful and assuages my fears. I have to ask, where do you live?

Old 04-30-2014, 07:39 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,267,650 times
I'm in Chapel Hill in the middle of town on a very wooded lot.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:51 PM

222 posts, read 403,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I'm in Chapel Hill in the middle of town on a very wooded lot.
Looking at 3 very wooded acres myself right now with an electric dog fence around the perimeter. Northeast of the airport. I am concerned because I would rather leave my dogs outside when I leave the house rather than stick them inside when I leave.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:53 PM

54 posts, read 109,364 times

I'm in Wake Forest and I've seen a fair amount of snakes in my short time here. No copperheads so far, thank goodness.

Anyway, I just went out on my front stoop to take a phone call and this guy was chilling on my front walk.

I'm thinking a harmless garter snake. Please tell me I did the right thing by letting him on his merry way.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:55 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,567,545 times
Yup, I think that's a garter snake - glad you let him travel on!

Old 05-02-2014, 01:57 PM

54 posts, read 109,364 times
I'm learning.

See. We transplanted Yankees can be taught (eventually). We're not all hopeless.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:37 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,567,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fds472 View Post
I'm learning.

See. We transplanted Yankees can be taught (eventually). We're not all hopeless.
You are my people and I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary