Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 03:13 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times

Advertisements

Yep that's a garter snake. I saw a big one on a hike last weekend. Lovely critters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 04:13 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,163 times
I've never intentionally killed a non-venomous snake (as an adult). I killed a big king snake with a pellet rifle. A passerby later informed me that it was a harmless snake, and I shouldn't have killed it. I learned as I got older! I shot a copperhead with my BB gun when I was about 8 or 9 years old though! That was the last live copperhead I've seen that wasn't behind glass, in NC. Somehow we just don't see them here at our house. I see a lot of little "yard snakes" and the occasional rat snake, garter snake, or black racer. Even that black racer that struck at me well over 20 times last summer, survived. I put him in a bucket and took him down into the woods and dumped him! Although I have second guessed that decision several times. That was one MEAN snake!

My kids get a kick out of me catching the little "yard snakes" that I always uncover when doing yardwork. I found three one day last fall when I was cleaning up the fall leaves. I put them in a bucket and let them watch them for a little while, then they go back into the yard.

The most frequent places I see snakes are while bike riding. I was out at Lake Crabtree last year, and saw so many snakes one day, that I lost count. I think by 15-18 I got confused, lost count, and quit noticing them. Also along the Neuse River greenway, I've never been down there and not seen snakes. Never. Was MTBing up at Beaverdam at Falls Lake one days years ago, and came around a bend to see three snakes lined up perfectly side by side ( I I I, like that), about 1-2' apart across the trail in a patch of sunlight. Two were hognoses, and one was a garter snake. Strangest thing I've ever seen. And then the one day I was in Umstead Park, and walked down beside one of the lake spillways towards the rock filled pool at the bottom. As I got to the bottom of the trail near the waters edge, I see a snake on a rock. I stop, and start scanning the pool closely, and realize there are snakes everywhere! That was a bit unnerving, kind of a Indiana Jones moment. I counted 12 snakes sunning themselves on rocks around that pool at the base of the spillway. I slowly turned, and closely watched my steps as I made my way back up the hill!

Old 05-02-2014, 06:30 PM

750 posts, read 853,828 times
Big Kahuna - you seem to have seen a lot more snakes than most people on here. What are you doing wrong? :-) Why do you have so many in your garden? This Indiana Jones place sounds like a nightmare!!!! Actually your posts sounds like snakes on planes.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:05 PM

I can just about go out in my yard and find a snake on queue. Especially under leaves and other debris. These are little snakes though, about the size of a #2 pencil, gray to brown colored with pink bellies. They are called "rough earth snakes" and are completely harmless, unless maybe they "relieve" themselves on you! If you've got natural areas in your yard, with a layer of pine straw and leaves, you can go out there and rake the covering back to the ground, and probably find these little snakes too.

Rough Earth Snake - North Carolina

The snake day at Lake Crabtree was a little strange. I felt like I was totally in tune, and seeing every snake I rode by! The day at Umstead was a fairly isolated incident...in an area with little foot traffic. I just happened to catch a LOT of snakes sunning themselves on the rocks that day, and then got the heck out of Dodge!

I see maybe 1 or 2 bigger snakes a year at our house. And we live really close to a lake, and in the woods. I always expect to see a lot more.

Neuse River Greenway:

Found these 3 on Nov. 8th while cleaning up leaves in the yard.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:23 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
What kind are the 3 in the red bucket???

Old 05-03-2014, 05:26 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
I had half a bag of topsoil leaning against my deck, and when I finally poured it out a clump of those rough earth snakes came out :-/

I thought they were baby garter snakes, but maybe they were the rough earth snakes.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
What kind are the 3 in the red bucket???

Two are "rough earth snakes". They are typically brown or gray with pinkish bellies. The one with the stripes appears to have been a baby garter snake, at least that's what I thought at the time. The color in that pic isn't spot-on...as it wasn't bright out and it's a cell phone pic.

That's a small sand bucket like you'd take to the beach. Those snakes are maybe 10" long. They are small.

That king snake at the Neuse River Greenway was about 4' long.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:35 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
If the ones that don't have stripes have really small heads they could be worm snakes. They have the pink belly you're describing. Rough earth snakes can have a little bit of striping. The stripey one could be a brown snake, too. I've seen those in the area. They're also small. The one I saw was maybe a 12-14 inches long.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:51 AM

222 posts, read 403,889 times
Is there a place that can expose people to snakes in a closed environment and let people see in person what the local snakes look like, etc?

I know some of these, but we relocated from New Orleans, and we've got tons of snakes down there, but I think (could be misinformed) the only ones we had there that are common here are moccasins (cotton mouth) and garters. I'm not overtly familiar with copperheads and question my ability to identify them.

I'm more concerned with my wife's inability to identify them leading to her irrationally freaking out. She assumes every single snake is the worst thing possible. I'd like to expose her to them and educate her to the point of having some comfort with them. I speak for myself as well in terms of identifying local non-venomous and venomous snakes.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:25 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
I accidentally ran over a snake on Friday while riding my bike. It was a good sized black snake (adult rat snake?), about 3'-4' long and about 1"-2" in diameter. I came around a tight corner and there he was laying across the trail. For a split second I thought about slamming on my brakes, but then I realized I may not have been able to stop in time, so I went right over him. Hopefully the pine straw under him, and my low pressure knobby tires above him, was cushion enough that he wasn't harmed too badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary