Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:11 AM

8,158 posts, read 10,862,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
maybe, the Basketball capital of North Carolina. The Basketball capital of the U.S. is Storrs, Connecticut.
Great season for sure but maybe we should really be talking about Los Angeles...7 straight...'67-'73. OK, sorry I brought it up. Back to topic Raleigh-Durham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 11:33 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,187,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I live in Cary and go to both downtowns frequently. Both have their own uniquities, but they are not THAT different.

Both have awesome cultural events
Both have lots of great, unique restaurants
Both have good bars, and good craft beer
Both have live music
Both have museums
Both are walkable
Both are largely safe (in the DT areas)
Both cities have their burbs.

We can talk all day about Durham has this, or Raleigh has that, but both are great places. (Last week Durham had an awesome Jazz festival. Raleigh gets the Bluegrass Festival. Both get Hopscotch. In either city, you can expect the streets to be blocked off a few times a month for something fun, and different.)

Instead of arguing about which is better (or worse), why not enjoy both.

OP: They are not that different. Francois had a good response at the bottom of page 1.
I agree with this. One quick question / clarification: How do "both get Hopscotch"? I thought that event was entirely within downtown Raleigh. Has it recently changed from previous years? Thanls?

Old 04-30-2014, 11:47 AM

11,187 posts, read 8,216,140 times
I may be confusing with another event, but I was thinking that Hopscotch had venues in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. (I was also thinking it was a much bigger event than just what goes on here. As in across the country, or global?)

Old 04-30-2014, 03:20 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,168,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Please state what areas you grew up around.
EXACTLY! Because I, too, grew up in Durham (Hope Valley AND the area near Southpoint) and both have are nice and have absolutely EXPLODED.

Durham is just ME. However, I can't seem to break free from Raleigh - every time I find a job it's either IN Raleigh or someplace closer to Raleigh (most recently Harnett Co.). I'd love to move back, but it's just not happening right now.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:54 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,896,669 times
As my username implies, I am a Durham "fan" -- my family really loves living just outside downtown Durham. We really do walk to restaurants, bars, shows at the Carolina and DPAC, baseball games, Whole Foods and Harris Teeter, etc.

The media and especially old-timer picture of downtrodden areas and disinvestment certainly applies to some, but not all neighborhoods. (E.g., the century-old house a street over in not great shape that just sold for $790,000 after a few days on market.) Ours is a terrifically close-knit neighborhood and a great place to live.

That said, one of the things I liked about Durham over other cities we looked at in the Triangle was that it was diverse -- socioeconomically, racially, national origin, you name it. We moved here from Cambridge, Mass. at a time when East Cambridge was a very different place from Linnaean St. or Porter Square, and we wanted a place that didn't feel homogeneous.

I'm not sure the gap is really between "Raleigh and Durham," however. Someone who lives in Hayes-Barton has more in common with a Trinity Park-residing Durhamite than they probably do a person living off Leesville Rd. up above 540 in north Raleigh. Inside-the-Beltline Raleigh and the near-downtown Durham neighborhoods have a LOT in common.

I was just in Raleigh last week for the Jon Langford show at CAM Raleigh. Parked my car, walked to The Pit and had a drink, headed out and gazed at the skyline, walked over to CAM and saw a great concert. If I had been in Durham that night, I might have easily headed downtown, walked to The Pit and had a drink, headed out and gazed at the skyline, and then walked to Motorco or DPAC to see a great concert.

We loved Durham enough that it was a big factor as to why my wife, who had a choice between working in south Durham or downtown Raleigh, chose the company in Durham -- we didn't want to move. That said, IF she had taken the job in downtown Raleigh, as much as we would have hated to leave Trinity Park -- we saw great neighborhoods with the same spirit, energy, renewal and vibrancy that we love here. We could have been happy in Oakwood, Hayes-Barton or Five Points, just as we are happy here.

But I'm glad I didn't have to move. :-)

I too would wonder where a previous poster sees areas that are rundown in Durham. True of East Durham and parts of North Durham? Absolutely. But, there's a much wider city out there.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:06 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,947,381 times
Quote:
Please state what areas you grew up around.
Area around Northgate Park/Club Blvd

Old 04-30-2014, 04:08 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,204,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I may be confusing with another event, but I was thinking that Hopscotch had venues in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. (I was also thinking it was a much bigger event than just what goes on here. As in across the country, or global?)
You're confused. It's just a Raleigh thing. I don't think there are any Hopscotch venues in Durham, either. It was started by a guy from the INDY and he has since spun it off under it's own LLC, but it's still backed by the INDY — maybe that's where the Durham was coming from. Definitely just a Raleigh NC thing.

Here are the 2014 venues:

Quote:
Hopscotch Music Festival
Berkeley Cafe, CAM, Fletcher Opera Theater, Kennedy Theater, Kings, Lincoln Theatre, Long View Center, Tir Na Nog are 18+.
Deep South Bar, Pour House Music Hall, Slim's, and The Hive @ Busy Bee are 21+.
City Plaza is All Ages.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:12 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,537,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Area around Northgate Park/Club Blvd
Thanks. I would agree that area still has issues, though I'm on both neighborhood listservs and it seems to be a mixed bag with people trying to improve things. I'd definitely live in Northgate Park and am somewhat iffy on Colonial Village, esp. near Club Blvd.

It was important for you to name the neighborhoods because so many others are perfectly fine (those named in posts above, among others). I always jump in on these conversations because I was warned away from Durham before I got here, and the information wasn't accurate - I would have really been livid if I'd stayed away based on that information, only to have to move again at great expense. Goes to show how important it is to check out an area for yourself before you move there.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
I too would wonder where a previous poster sees areas that are rundown in Durham. True of East Durham and parts of North Durham? Absolutely. But, there's a much wider city out there.
Fair enough..When I am back in Durham around Duke Hospital/Roxboro Rd/Northgate/Old Watts Hospital/Club Blvd
it has a very different feel than when I was growing up in the 60's & 70's..

It's true that I am comparing that to only the parts of Raleigh that I have live in (leesville/bayleaf/stonehenge/crosswinds)
Probably not apples to apples, but the crime rate in Durham is almost double
that of Raleigh for rapes/bulglaries/theft...

Old 04-30-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Goes to show how important it is to check out an area for yourself before you move there.
I agree..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary