Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 10:25 PM

637 posts, read 1,057,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
That apartment was south of the Beltline near Tryon Rd. It's not exactly what I typically think of being a location near NC State. What immediately came to my mind was that area around Kent Rd that had trouble in the past.
It's only a couple of miles from the campus but might feel farther with the general road layout. In general south / southwest (and south east) Raleigh have a completely different violent crime profile than the rest of Raleigh. So much more activity that unless you follow it through some other means its easy to be oblivious to what really goes on. The stories that make top local news only do so because it's shocking in some other way (in this case because he's a relatively known personality to some, in other cases like the Morrisville shooting also today because so few people actually live in Morrisville that a double homicide is rare).

Mcreery is originally from Garner I believe and currently attending NCSU, so it makes sense that he would be in that general area more than the relatively upscale North Raleigh environment. I think he should go into comedy as well as music because of the genetic Mad Magazine advantage

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 06:01 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
There seems to be lots of crime near NCSU lately! More than I ever remember hearing about!

I haven't heard the news but I hope they got the guys!

Vicki
If this doesn't change, we'll have people from Durham coming on CD and talking about Raleigh's crime.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:33 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
If this doesn't change, we'll have people from Durham coming on CD and talking about Raleigh's crime.
You bad!

Yes, there IS crime everywhere, Garnermama; however, my daughter is at NCSU (so maybe I'm more in tune to it) and it is almost EVERY DAY that we get some type of campus alert!

My son went to NCSU years ago and we didn't get those alerts. Not sure we even had that system in place BUT we didn't hear about crime on campus quite so much.

Now, when hubby went to NCSU decades ago , there was NO CRIME!!!

Vicki

Old 05-07-2014, 09:06 AM

204 posts, read 263,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
It's only a couple of miles from the campus but might feel farther with the general road layout. In general south / southwest (and south east) Raleigh have a completely different violent crime profile than the rest of Raleigh. So much more activity that unless you follow it through some other means its easy to be oblivious to what really goes on. The stories that make top local news only do so because it's shocking in some other way (in this case because he's a relatively known personality to some, in other cases like the Morrisville shooting also today because so few people actually live in Morrisville that a double homicide is rare).

Mcreery is originally from Garner I believe and currently attending NCSU, so it makes sense that he would be in that general area more than the relatively upscale North Raleigh environment. I think he should go into comedy as well as music because of the genetic Mad Magazine advantage
Perfect match!!! Lol

Robberies are unfortunate no doubt but with so many that happen daily I wonder why this particular one is even a topic in this thread. I mean he's just another citizen.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrv View Post
Perfect match!!! Lol

Robberies are unfortunate no doubt but with so many that happen daily I wonder why this particular one is even a topic in this thread. I mean he's just another citizen.
It's a topic in the thread because it made front page local news on WRAL. The reason it was there is because the general public finds celebrities more interesting than non-famous citizens I guess (or at least the folks who write stories for WRAL do). As for me I just never pass up an opportunity to bring Alfred E. Neuman into a thread

Old 05-07-2014, 11:45 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,968 times
One of the three robbers have been found:

Man charged in robbery of Scotty McCreery, friends :: WRAL.com

Here is the partial story- read more at the link.

Quote:
RALEIGH, N.C. — Raleigh police have charged a 19-year-old man in connection with a robbery that took place early Monday at an apartment where country singer Scotty McCreery was visiting friends.

According to investigators, Mikkail Jamal Shaw and two other men forced their way inside an apartment at 2130-301 Wolftech Lane at about 2 a.m. Monday and forced McCreery and three friends to lie facedown at gunpoint.

Shaw, of 2904 Nina Court, Raleigh, and the other men took two wallets, three cellphones and a computer before fleeing the apartment.

According to an arrest warrant, Shaw and the other two men used a pistol and assault rifle to threaten McCreery and his friends during the crime.

Shaw was charged Wednesday with robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon after turning himself in to authorities.

Shaw was in the Wake County jail Wednesday morning under a $375,000 bond. He is scheduled to make his first court appearance at 2 p.m.

Raleigh police spokesman Jim Sughrue said Wednesday that the investigation of the robbery is ongoing and that authorities are searching for other suspects.

Read more at http://www.wral.com/man-charged-in-r...bdMJuw8XYrc.99

Old 05-07-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Here is the partial story- read more at the link.
What's kind of sad is that if you look up Mini-Thug Junior's address, it looks like it could be pretty much any typical suburban neighborhood around. What's even sadder is that they weren't smart enough to realize that taking mobile phones is kind of a bad idea if you don't want to make it easy on the cops to find both where you are and where you've been in real time.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
You bad!

Yes, there IS crime everywhere, Garnermama; however, my daughter is at NCSU (so maybe I'm more in tune to it) and it is almost EVERY DAY that we get some type of campus alert!

My son went to NCSU years ago and we didn't get those alerts. Not sure we even had that system in place BUT we didn't hear about crime on campus quite so much.

Now, when hubby went to NCSU decades ago , there was NO CRIME!!!

Vicki
Believe it or not, a certain amount of that may have to do more with the technology involved in alerts that has come about over the last 2-3 years (not just the phone you have in your hand but the things that have happened in the server space, and the amount of apps running on peoples phones).

I really don't know how the actual crime statistics per capita compare between now and maybe 10 or 20 years ago, someone else would have to provide. But I do remember about 10-12 years ago seeing some kid on TV talk about how he got shot in the face during a robbery near NCSU, and wondering why that robbery never made it to the news at all, as if it happened every day down there.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
At this time, there has been no reason to believe Clay Aiken had anything to do with it

Scotty McCreery, friends victims of Raleigh apartment break-in :: WRAL.com
No official leads in this case either...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary