U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

North Carolina: education, great schools, kindergarten, administration, diversity.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:16 AM

2,461 posts, read 5,455,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmow View Post
Thank you all for the info. Many of you say that the schools are not that bad for the most part. But who wants their child attending 3 different schools in say 5 yrs? How can that be good for the child? I live in the San Francisco area and I do not know of any school districts who still use busing - I used to teach in San Jose city school district. Wherever I have lived/visited, they have neighborhood schools. Of course you want your child to go to school with kids who live in your neighborhood. I know busing and school reassignment may or may not happen but don't you have to expect that it may happen? I was really looking forward to possibly moving to Raleigh next year but this is definitely making me reconsider.

Thanks again everyone. Any other info is appreciated.
If you like the Triangle region, don't give up just yet. Wake County is but one of a few counties that make up the Triangle region, so you may very well find someting that suits you in one of the communities surrounding Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 11:17 AM

10,382 posts, read 17,810,200 times
I have 4 children. All have been in Wake County Public School System since Kindergaten. Three have graduated. One went to UNC Chapel Hill and one went to NCSU and one to ECU. My 4th is a freshman at Sanderson.

We were lucky in that we only got re assigned in middle school. First one went to Carroll Middle. Next 2 went to West Middle Middle and 4th went to Carroll.

I have nothing but good things to say about Wake County schools, in general but my kids were good students. We have had a teacher or two that I didn't care for. I'm currently having to pay for geometry tutoring for my daughter as her teacher doesn't seem to be able to get through to her. So are quite a few kids in that class but I'm lucky that I can afford to do that. Otherwise, I'd have to move her from this class.

Overall, based on my experience with 4 kids...I have no huge problems and would do it all again.

As for Sanderson HS, I like the fact that some of the teachers have stayed there for over 10 years. I think that speaks volumes about a school.

Vicki

Old 12-11-2007, 11:27 AM

3,021 posts, read 7,558,366 times
Here's my question for the Wake parents: If you or your child are being bussed, aren't there lots of other kids in your neighborhood being bussed to the same school? It's not as if they pick one or two houses at random in a neighborhood and tell those children that they have to go to a different school ... right? I'm genuinely curious about this because I've never heard this properly explained.

I can understand why people might be concerned about the bussing situation. Afterall, I live extremely close to our elementary school & if I had a child, I would consider it a big bonus that we could walk to the school. Since I live in Durham, that isn't a problem for us.

But then again, I appreciate the efforts that the Wake County system is making. I know it's unconventional, but I have friends who have taught in low-income areas and know first-hand how extraordinarily difficult and dangerous that job can be.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:36 AM

906 posts, read 1,426,548 times
Mrs. Steel--You're right that its a whole node of kids that gets bused to the new school so at least the kids are going with their neighbors. My subdivision has kids assigned to at least 4 elem schools and 2 middle schools. The kids in the cul-de-sac across from ours go to a different elem and middle school than we do. Its just wierd.

To the OP--I say that the schools aren't that bad, but I have never been reassigned. I think its very easy to minimize the concerns if you've never been reassigned or only had it happen once or twice. Also, if my kids are reassigned to fill a new school nearby that's one thing--its understandable. But some of the kids that get moved are moved solely to adjust the 'F&R' numbers at their school and that would anger me.

Kids need stability and I think that's especially true for high-needs children.

Don't give up on the Triangle--lots of other places to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary