U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 08:46 AM

239 posts, read 986,225 times

Advertisements

We are redecorating and I need someone to let me know if it is possible to place a tv over our gas fireplace. The house was built in 2000 and it is not wired for tv over the fireplace. I am trying to find a way to hide wires and have cable and electrical placed. I think I found a wireless cable unit but still would like to see if electrical could be hooked up. Thanks for any help or suggestions. If anyone has donw this I would love to see pics. We have windows on either side so there is no way to place extra cable boxes or feed wires throug the sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 09:04 AM

8,046 posts, read 5,886,300 times
Wireless cable does not provide optimum signal quality, so running a cable is best. You will need to run power, so the best is to have an electrician install a power and cable outlet box. If the TV is a respectable size then the mechanical attachment to the wall must be strong and tied into the structure. You will probable want a tilt-turn mount for best viewing.
I have a concern that the heat from the gas fireplace may shorten the life of the TV, but it is such a common installation it must not be an issue.
DataComm Flat Panel TV Cable Organizer Remodeling Kit with Power Outlet: TV & Video : Walmart.com
looks like the kind of outlet I would use. Are you installing a sound system as well?

Old 05-13-2014, 09:31 AM

4,810 posts, read 2,568,125 times
For what it's worth: Installing a flat panel over the fireplace may seem like a good idea, but unless it's the ONLY place it will fit in the room don't do it.
Yeah, it may look swell at first but you're going to end up hating the viewing angle and as mentioned above, the heat and gasses coming out of the fireplace aren't doing the hardware any good. One reason a lot of newer construction put the TV above the fireplace is it's kind of a lazy way to carve a space. Rather than making room with a proper viewing angle (just a few degrees higher than your straight ahead sight line from the chair or couch where you're watching the TV) it's easier to just slap it up above the fireplace like a painting. Problem is you don't gaze at a painting for the same amount of time you would when watching a movie.

Spend your money on a good quality 3 axis mount and an electrician to wire up AC and input ports in an accessible area, rather than monkeying around with all the issues that come up with goofing around the fireplace/chimney area.

Good luck, you can thank me later

Old 05-13-2014, 11:37 AM

3,478 posts, read 4,169,129 times
In the new townhouse my daughter bought, the builder installed a 1" flexible conduit running from behind the TV mount above the fireplace to an outlet box next to and lower on the wall. That way, she could run the HDMI cables from DVR, Roku, etc. and have no visible wires at the TV.

I installed a tilt-turn mounting bracket for her, with screws running into the studs. Everything looks great.

If you are going to go to the trouble of adding electrical, I would recommend doing the conduit for cables as well.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:08 PM

15,066 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
For what it's worth: Installing a flat panel over the fireplace may seem like a good idea, but unless it's the ONLY place it will fit in the room don't do it.
Yeah, it may look swell at first but you're going to end up hating the viewing angle and as mentioned above, the heat and gasses coming out of the fireplace aren't doing the hardware any good. One reason a lot of newer construction put the TV above the fireplace is it's kind of a lazy way to carve a space. Rather than making room with a proper viewing angle (just a few degrees higher than your straight ahead sight line from the chair or couch where you're watching the TV) it's easier to just slap it up above the fireplace like a painting. Problem is you don't gaze at a painting for the same amount of time you would when watching a movie.

Spend your money on a good quality 3 axis mount and an electrician to wire up AC and input ports in an accessible area, rather than monkeying around with all the issues that come up with goofing around the fireplace/chimney area.

Good luck, you can thank me later
I'm in total agreement. Unless you watch very little TV, don't do it.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:54 PM

282 posts, read 748,438 times
I used these guys for 2 separate TV mounting/wire hiding jobs...both we're excellent and I highly recommend.

My TV has been over the fireplace for almost 3yrs and no issues here - viewing angle/comfort is in the eye of the beholder, and the distance between the fireplace & TV will dictate whether heat is likely to be a problem. Pretty sure they'll be able to advise you either way

Flat Screen TV Installations Home Theater Home Networks Raleigh Apex Cary Morrisville Durham Wake Forest Holly Springs Triangle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or