Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 02:33 PM

510 posts, read 900,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
You are not going to be called names just because you have an Italian name...however, we also don't have a 'Little Italy' or an IAB (Italian-American Club - most towns where I am originally from had one) or things like that. If such a closed community is important to you....you aren't going to like it here.
I have to agree with the above post......I grew up in NY, in an Italian community. The south is not segregated like the Northeast. if that's what you want then don't move here. It's just not the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 04:36 PM

420 posts, read 451,856 times
Default Not here

Hi OP,

I am a first generation Italian woman and lifelong NY'er until two years ago. I was born and raised in the Bronx surrounded by immigrants just like my parents. Everything you speak of was close by growing up.

The things you are looking for just aren't here. That's not to say there are no Italians here but they are the exception more than the rule. Ironically, my second week here I met a young man in Target who was just moving into his apt. from Rome! He was a researcher and was going to be working at Duke. He asked me with a heavy accent which cleaner I would recommend for kitchen tile and that is how we began talking (in Italian).

There were a couple of things mentioned above that are very true...this is indeed a global community which was a draw from me; I enjoy diversity and there are only a few Catholic parishes around; other Christian denominations are much more prevalent.

I understand all too well wanting to get away from the northeast for all the reasons you mention. I made an informed decision and knew what I would be giving up. Connection to family via long distance is the way I keep my heritage alive within me but I completely understand wanting/belonging to a community.

Good luck to you and yours and finding a new place to call home.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:52 PM

272 posts, read 303,277 times
In 2014 I find it more than a bit strange that someone would be so concerned about petty ethnic preferences.To begin with the NE is hardly segregated. Further, there is hardly anything "Italian" about Italian-Americans. Most IAs, like most others, stratify according to social class/personality types more than ethnicity.

If you're looking for strong ethnic ties I'm afraid you won't find them in the US anymore, SonoCucuzza. As a matter of fact you can barely find them in Italy nowadays. Sorry.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:25 PM

204 posts, read 263,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainednCary View Post
In 2014 I find it more than a bit strange that someone would be so concerned about petty ethnic preferences.To begin with the NE is hardly segregated. Further, there is hardly anything "Italian" about Italian-Americans. Most IAs, like most others, stratify according to social class/personality types more than ethnicity.

If you're looking for strong ethnic ties I'm afraid you won't find them in the US anymore, SonoCucuzza. As a matter of fact you can barely find them in Italy nowadays. Sorry.
Perhaps that's why ethnic areas are less prevalent in certain areas because of folk like you who believe it's "petty" but America is a country that has ALWAYS existed of multi-culturalism. If you don't identify with a specific ethnicity or culture then that's your prerogative. But many people immigrate here because they can still identify with their ethnic groups AS WELL AS with other ethnic groups even still in 2014. To say "If you're looking for strong ethnic ties I'm afraid you won't find them in the US anymore..." begs the questions are you in denial, don't travel, or are you living under a rock? smh...

Old 05-13-2014, 05:43 PM

272 posts, read 303,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrv View Post
Perhaps that's why ethnic areas are less prevalent in certain areas because of folk like you who believe it's "petty" but America is a country that has ALWAYS existed of multi-culturalism. If you don't identify with a specific ethnicity or culture then that's your prerogative. But many people immigrate here because they can still identify with their ethnic groups AS WELL AS with other ethnic groups even still in 2014. To say "If you're looking for strong ethnic ties I'm afraid you won't find them in the US anymore..." begs the questions are you in denial, don't travel, or are you living under a rock? smh...
I'm from the NE, I've been to Europe (including Italy) and I live in Cary USA.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:06 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
North Carolina is a VERY culturally rich area, but Southern culture. We don't have a historic Italian population. There certainly are Italian-speaking folks here. Some of them run our favorite pizza joints.

I think there are more Greeks here than Italians. There are always a few Greek festivals and a few Greek churches. There are lots of other ethnicities, too (though not so much the Irish). There's a pretty vibrant Indian culture, especially in Morrisville/Cary. Very vibrant Hispanic culture, too, as well as Asian. We don't really have a "little Italy" or "little India", et al, though.

From a historic perspective NC has had a high English and African American population as well as Scottish, Scotch Irish (Ulster Scots) and German. In the last 20 years all of NC has experienced a boom in the Hispanic/Latino population and parts of the Triangle have a high Indian and Asian population. We have Italian Americans, too, but the friends I have who are Italian identify with that about like I do with my Scottish ancestry. One of my Italian American friends makes great Indian food .

Old 05-13-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I'm from the NE, I've been to Europe (including Italy) and I live in Cary USA.
I'm from the NE also, currently reside in Wake county also, In addition lived several years in Germany and traveled to France, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Netherlands while living in Europue as well as traveled extensively through most major cities in the US except for Midwest states like Kansas, Iowa, Dakotas though I did visit Ohio & Illinois. By the way my heritage is from the Caribbean which I am strongly tied to. I've experienced nothing but a lot of cultural ties up until recent times so I'm just trying to wrap my head around that comment that's all. Not looking to start a debate. ;-)

Old 05-13-2014, 06:16 PM

420 posts, read 451,856 times
Quote:
In 2014 I find it more than a bit strange that someone would be so concerned about petty ethnic preferences.
In my opinion, it IS a bit harsh to say that wanting to be around those who's culture is similar to your own is petty. The OP explicitly stated that she welcomed diversity but wanted to keep her cultural roots nurtured.

While it is fact that we live in a global society and that cultures are being intermixed, it is most certainly important to most to keep family traditions alive. In the northeast, especially in the urban areas, there are MANY segregated communities. They may not consist entirely of one culture and yes, they are shrinking but they are still there. It is exactly those communities that produce most of the unforgettable edibles that transplants inquire about in these forums. However, food is only one part of it. Anyone who comes from a culture where the first immigrants landed on these shores less than 100 years ago knows it is indeed much more.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
North Carolina is a VERY culturally rich area, but Southern culture. We don't have a historic Italian population. There certainly are Italian-speaking folks here. Some of them run our favorite pizza joints.

I think there are more Greeks here than Italians. There are always a few Greek festivals and a few Greek churches. There are lots of other ethnicities, too (though not so much the Irish). There's a pretty vibrant Indian culture, especially in Morrisville/Cary. Very vibrant Hispanic culture, too, as well as Asian. We don't really have a "little Italy" or "little India", et al, though.

From a historic perspective NC has had a high English and African American population as well as Scottish, Scotch Irish (Ulster Scots) and German. In the last 20 years all of NC has experienced a boom in the Hispanic/Latino population and parts of the Triangle have a high Indian and Asian population. We have Italian Americans, too, but the friends I have who are Italian identify with that about like I do with my Scottish ancestry. One of my Italian American friends makes great Indian food .
It is true there has been a large Hispanic/Latino growth in population though the vast majority is Mexican/Central American. The culture (food/music/dialect/habits) is quite different from South American Latinos as it is also from Caribbean Latinos Cuban, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans. Just thought I would share that tidbit.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Love View Post
In my opinion, it IS a bit harsh to say that wanting to be around those who's culture is similar to your own is petty. The OP explicitly stated that she welcomed diversity but wanted to keep her cultural roots nurtured.

While it is fact that we live in a global society and that cultures are being intermixed, it is most certainly important to most to keep family traditions alive. In the northeast, especially in the urban areas, there are MANY segregated communities. They may not consist entirely of one culture and yes, they are shrinking but they are still there. It is exactly those communities that produce most of the unforgettable edibles that transplants inquire about in these forums. However, food is only one part of it. Anyone who comes from a culture where the first immigrants landed on these shores less than 100 years ago knows it is indeed much more.
Exactly!! Very well expressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary