Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 01:07 PM

90 posts, read 177,311 times

Advertisements

Don't do it! You will not be happy here. Money isnt everything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 01:30 PM

596 posts, read 1,239,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
I grew up around heavily Italian neighborhoods and I can tell you that I haven't found very many good Italian Delis, however, on a recent trip to Wilmington beach, I found not one but two Italian delis. Both, the owners were immigrants from Italy and the food was amazing. I know this is on an unrelated note, but, I feel the need to pitch in.
Wow, isn't this interesting, 2 hr drive to get some ethnic Italian groceries, what's wrong with this picture?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:31 PM

87 posts, read 135,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melijane View Post
I respect all opinions, and would like to ask for more details regarding yours if I may. I see that you are a native New Yorker, now living in Charleston (another area we are considering). So I would like to hear a little more from you if I could. Please elaborate.

Thanks so much!

Old 05-23-2014, 09:55 AM

222 posts, read 403,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoCucuzza View Post
Thank you for the further details regarding provision of medical care. The Triangle Area has a lot of appeal for us, and is a relocation destination we are seriously considering.

If I may ask, especially of transplants into the area (people who moved from other places) could you share what your biggest challenges were when your first moved to the Triangle Area? What were the biggest obstacles to you successfully acclimating to the area?

Thank You for your answers, and continued assistance.
Biggest challenge?

Leaving friends and family behind. We miss them and they're a 2 day drive away now. Beyond that, we have...

Last edited by RedZin; 05-23-2014 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 05-23-2014, 10:13 AM

305 posts, read 761,126 times
Not at all to discourage you from considering the Triangle area, but I wonder if you have also taken a look at West Virginia as an option? There is a surprisingly large Italian community in the state (as many Italians immigrated to the state to work in the coal industry), and that community spirit still continues. I lived in WV for a while a few years back, and the Italian influence was quite striking. Depending on your work options, Charleston WV could be an option, or if you are more academically oriented, Morgantown, home of WVU? Beautiful area of the country with a low cost of living, though obviously there are economic challenges in the state.

36th Annual West Virginia Italian Heritage Festival

Upper Ohio Valley Italian Heritage Festival

Having lived in CT for a while as well, the biggest challenge between here and the northeast for me was the summer heat, but overall I love the area here.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:50 AM

87 posts, read 135,619 times
Thank you for the continued opinions and the humor injected into this discussion! That "No Regrets" clip is funny!

I completely understand the leaving behind of friends and family as being difficult, but in our case most are coming with us. While the first move would be myself and my fiance with my son, following shortly thereafter will be my sisters and their significant others, as well as my parents. All our other family members, outside of ourselves, are disconnected or in Sicily. So, that part won't really affect us. My parents are most concerned with things like familiarity. For example, what grocery stores carry the right products and what isle is the olive oil in. What pharmacy is best to use, and what stores exist down there which may not exist here. That sounds silly I am sure, but at their age that is tough stuff to reconcile.

As to West Virginia, we know it pretty well. My fiance was business partners with a Calabrese gentleman who settled in West Virginia years ago. However, the overall feel of the state, and the economic issues currently impeding upon it, make that a non-option for us. Thank you for the suggestion though. At this point, we think we are down to three options, of which the Triangle Area is certainly one. Thus, we are simply continuing research and trying to learn as many details as we can. You have all been most helpful in that process, so thank you!

Old 05-23-2014, 04:19 PM

222 posts, read 403,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoCucuzza View Post
Thank you for the continued opinions and the humor injected into this discussion! That "No Regrets" clip is funny!

I completely understand the leaving behind of friends and family as being difficult, but in our case most are coming with us. While the first move would be myself and my fiance with my son, following shortly thereafter will be my sisters and their significant others, as well as my parents. All our other family members, outside of ourselves, are disconnected or in Sicily. So, that part won't really affect us. My parents are most concerned with things like familiarity. For example, what grocery stores carry the right products and what isle is the olive oil in. What pharmacy is best to use, and what stores exist down there which may not exist here. That sounds silly I am sure, but at their age that is tough stuff to reconcile.

As to West Virginia, we know it pretty well. My fiance was business partners with a Calabrese gentleman who settled in West Virginia years ago. However, the overall feel of the state, and the economic issues currently impeding upon it, make that a non-option for us. Thank you for the suggestion though. At this point, we think we are down to three options, of which the Triangle Area is certainly one. Thus, we are simply continuing research and trying to learn as many details as we can. You have all been most helpful in that process, so thank you!
Harris Teeter has an online ordering system. You can setup a weekly list and just pick it up. Make modifications to the list as needed.

Personally, I like to use produce delivery services ( there are several in the area ). We pay a flat rate and it guarantees us a large brown bag stuffed with produce. The company also provides recipes relative to the products delivered.

It ensures that we have no excuse not to have fresh produce or eat fresh.

There's also the NC State farmer's market if you insist on picking out your own stuff. Easy parking. Easy shopping. They also have farm fresh veggies, and meats available there.

Harris Teeter - Express Lane - $99/year gets you unlimited usage of the online ordering system. Pays for itself in the hours you make up not meandering grocery aisles, and the money it saves you from not buying candy bars/soda at the checkout line.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,484 times
Default Originally from Philly

Hi SonoCucuzza,

I was raised in an Italian-American neighborhood outside of Philly, and I relocated to the Triangle area in 2006. Based on what you describe you are looking for, if I were you, I would not move to the Triangle. Yes, North Carolina is a generally pleasant place to live, but I can relate to how and where you were raised, and that culture does not exist here. Demographically, most Italian-Americans are located in the NE, but there are a fairly decent demographic in AZ and CA as well. I have lived in both of those states, and really enjoyed the culture out West. Just something to consider as another option for you. I hope this helps you.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melijane View Post
I agree 110% !!!!

Old 06-10-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggarelli View Post
Hi SonoCucuzza,

I was raised in an Italian-American neighborhood outside of Philly, and I relocated to the Triangle area in 2006. Based on what you describe you are looking for, if I were you, I would not move to the Triangle. Yes, North Carolina is a generally pleasant place to live, but I can relate to how and where you were raised, and that culture does not exist here. Demographically, most Italian-Americans are located in the NE, but there are a fairly decent demographic in AZ and CA as well. I have lived in both of those states, and really enjoyed the culture out West. Just something to consider as another option for you. I hope this helps you.
Again, I agree 110%. !!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary