Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 02:19 PM

288 posts, read 360,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Maybe they lumped together cities and towns on that list... no clue... I never even heard of that publication/web site.

Truth is, I'm glad to see Durham get some love.

Reality is, THOUSANDS relocate to Raleigh, Cary, and Morrisville on the regular. I'd say the numbers are surely higher than the transplant numbers for Durham, and we've seen many sources that confirm it here recently. Cary's growth alone over the last 5-10 years has been staggering.

So, yeah... Durham can have some of Cary's action... you won't see anyone complaining except the town council because they do love some tax revenues.
Between 2010 and 2013:

Durham's population increased by 17,148
Cary's population increased by 15,854

Old 05-29-2014, 03:22 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Oh, we're not going to start that debate again, are we?

Trying to say a place is a town rather than a city is like trying to say a vehicle is a car not an automobile. Different words; same meaning. (Unless you live in Virginia, which we don't.)
LOL.

I know, I know... My point really was that Raleigh and Cary have been on a ton of those lists already. I think it's safe to say the entire Triangle gets more than enough attention, be it the cities or the towns, or the towns as big as cities.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Between 2010 and 2013:

Durham's population increased by 17,148
Cary's population increased by 15,854
Durham has about 250k people. Cary has around 150k.

Which means that Cary's population is increasing by a dramatic percentage compared to Durham's, even though Durham netted a little over 2k more people over the time period you referenced.

Statistics are fun!

Old 05-29-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Durham has about 250k people. Cary has around 150k.

Which means that Cary's population is increasing by a dramatic percentage compared to Durham's, even though Durham netted a little over 2k more people over the time period you referenced.

Statistics are fun!
It cuts both ways . . .

Between 2010 and 2013:

Durham's growth rate: +7.51%
Raleigh's growth rate: +6.90%

even though a lot more people moved to Raleigh

Old 05-29-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
It cuts both ways . . .

Between 2010 and 2013:

Durham's growth rate: +7.51%
Raleigh's growth rate: +6.90%

even though a lot more people moved to Raleigh
Cuts?

I never said Durham wasn't growing faster than Raleigh.

I'm glad Durham is growing and changing. It needed it.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I'm glad Durham is growing and changing. It needed it.
But you wouldn't want to live there, right?

Old 05-29-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
But you wouldn't want to live there, right?
Why would I? I have 2 kids in school in Wake with friends here and I live in Cary. Anywhere I might move in Durham would likely not have the schools I wanted and would probably be a longer commute to our jobs in RTP than I already have.

I like some parts of Durham. The area around DPAC, Ninth St Area, and Southpoint is the only mall around here I really like at all (not a fan of malls).

I love the older homes in Hope Valley that have been renovated. Gorgeous area.

I dunno. I often get this impression that the "my city/town can beat up your city/town" thing on here comes from the same mentality as "my team is better than your team."

I don't like team sports at all.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:19 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Why would I? I have 2 kids in school in Wake with friends here and I live in Cary. Anywhere I might move in Durham would likely not have the schools I wanted and would probably be a longer commute to our jobs in RTP than I already have.

I like some parts of Durham. The area around DPAC, Ninth St Area, and Southpoint is the only mall around here I really like at all (not a fan of malls).

I love the older homes in Hope Valley that have been renovated. Gorgeous area.

I dunno. I often get this impression that the "my city/town can beat up your city/town" thing on here comes from the same mentality as "my team is better than your team."

I don't like team sports at all.
I don't even live in Durham (I worked there for a time and have friends that do)....I live in Wake Forest (which I know you aren't fond of either from your comments) and I get tired of all the Durham bashing that goes on...since 98% of it is not based in reality....but the fact that make Wake County residents somehow think Raleigh is a more 'prestigious address' than Durham and want to look down their noses at the it rather then talk about the good and bad of both areas.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I don't even live in Durham (I worked there for a time and have friends that do)....I live in Wake Forest (which I know you aren't fond of either from your comments) and I get tired of all the Durham bashing that goes on...since 98% of it is not based in reality....but the fact that make Wake County residents somehow think Raleigh is a more 'prestigious address' than Durham and want to look down their noses at the it rather then talk about the good and bad of both areas.
Yeah... it's illogical to me, too.

Why not just have a frank discussion about cities/towns of interest? There's good and bad in all of them.

I have seen some pretty swank houses in Durham. If people haven't, they obviously haven't spent much time in Durham.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:38 PM

Truth is, I'm glad to see Raleigh get some love.

Reality is, THOUSANDS relocate to Durham on the regular. I'd say the numbers are surely higher than the transplant numbers for Raleigh, and we've seen many sources that confirm it here recently. Durham's growth alone over the last few years has been staggering.

So, yeah... Raleigh can have some of Durham's action... you won't see anyone complaining except the city council because they do love some tax revenues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary