U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 11,702 times

Advertisements

We’ve been considering a move to the Raleigh/Triangle area. The main reason being that my in-laws just moved to Chapel Hill, but also the lower cost of living (our current house is $800k+) and warmer climate (I’m from a Mediterranean island and not loving rain or below 50 temperatures).

We had a chance to visit twice briefly in the last few months and we are coming again for 10 days during Christmas. After that trip we really need to make a decision.

Our main concern is that even though we like the area we haven’t yet seen that one town or neighborhood that gave us that “I what to live here” or “I belong here” feeling.

Right now we live in the Wyckoff/Ridgewood Area of Northern NJ. Ridgewood has beautiful homes and established trees and a very picturesque downtown about 5 min from our house with restaurants and shops etc. Even when I don’t go into the downtown I just love driving around here.

Before that we lived/went to school in Washington DC. We just loved Georgetown -the old beautiful buildings, great restaurants with tables on the sidewalks and upscale shops - also the people- young, educated and worldly.

Is there anything that resembles these areas in the Raleigh/Triangle area?

We are young (29 and 32) and don’t have kids yet, so schools are not as important (only as far as resale value is concerned) but it has to be a safe area. We are looking for a house that has good bones/architectural features, large rooms and that needs updating in terms of kitchen/bathrooms etc (so we can put our own stamp on it). Four or 5 bedroom (3 bedrooms +office+ bonus) ideally on a 0.3-0.75 acre lot with room for a pool and a fenced yard for our dog. We are hoping to spend around $400-450k for the house and then another $100k+ on renovations.

This is an example of a house I like: http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...h-img_3104.jpg
I seem to like Georgian Colonial/Colonial Revival/Federal Style with stucco or painted brick siding).

Sorry this is a bit long! I was just trying to be as specific as I could about what we are looking for. Which areas would you recommend we look at while we are down there?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 01:12 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,725,231 times
To satisfy all your desires (including proximity to downtown), I'd suggest looking in near North Raleigh in places like Quail Hollow or North Hills. Both of those neighborhoods are just North of the Beltline and can put you into downtown in ten minutes in light traffic. You might be able to find a house closer into town in neighborhoods off of Wade Avenue but you will most likely have to compromise size to stay within your desired price point. Or, you can go to where this house is: North Ridge. This neighborhood used to be on the outskirts of town when it was built almost 40 years ago. Now, while it's still North, it's not considered so far out. But, it is a good 15-20 minute drive to downtown during non-rush hour times. I'd start by searching for homes in the following zip codes if I were you: 27609, 27608, 27607 and 27612. 27605 would also be terrific but I am not sure if it's going to be in your price point for all that you want. Good luck!

Old 12-12-2007, 02:56 PM

8 posts, read 36,615 times
You may want to consider inside beltline. If you took the 450 range and added the 100k to it you might find exactly what you're looking for, but you would be a little cramped because the house would be kind of small. If I were you, I would focus on Cary/North Raleigh and the North Hills area.

Wake Forest is a charming town about 25-30 minutes north of downtown Raleigh. It has huge trees and an historic area.

You have a ton of options...that's for sure!

Old 12-12-2007, 03:06 PM

2,697 posts, read 7,772,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACDADDY View Post
You may want to consider inside beltline. If you took the 450 range and added the 100k to it you might find exactly what you're looking for, but you would be a little cramped because the house would be kind of small. If I were you, I would focus on Cary/North Raleigh and the North Hills area.

Wake Forest is a charming town about 25-30 minutes north of downtown Raleigh. It has huge trees and an historic area.

You have a ton of options...that's for sure!
I live in Cary and love it, but you would definitely need to be careful about pricing yourself out of a neighborhood once you put that much money into the house. Also, finding a lot that size would be somewhat difficult, but not impossible. I originally thought of Weatherstone, but you really couldn't put that much money into a home in that neighborhood. Maybe something in Lochmere or Preston (with a special lot that made the house worth improving). My guess is North Raleigh might be a better fit.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:15 PM

33,436 posts, read 58,033,344 times
A-a-h-h, yes, the classic "Five, Four and a Door."

We have about a million of them, but you will be hard-pressed to find one within the parameters you have outlined.

I have been fooling around for 20 minutes searching and not seeing anything I would point you towards.
If you can find the lot size, you might consider Trinity Park in Durham.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 12-12-2007 at 04:22 PM..

Old 12-12-2007, 04:18 PM

5,417 posts, read 15,427,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_wrede View Post
This is an example of a house I like: http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...h-img_3104.jpg
I seem to like Georgian Colonial/Colonial Revival/Federal Style with stucco or painted brick siding).
Ha! 5-4-and a door! This is exactly the type of house that we told our real estate agent to stop showing us or we'd fire her This is the prevalent architecture here. There was a period of time, I think in the 80's, when every builder put in subdivisions full of cheap versions of these, clad in vinyl or fiber-cement. Much like now with the faux-Craftsman style houses going up everywhere, especially in Holly Springs.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:58 PM

460 posts, read 1,630,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
A-a-h-h, yes, the classic "Five, Four and a Door."

We have about a million of them, but you will be hard-pressed to find one within the parameters you have outlined.
Ditto ^that^

Old 12-12-2007, 05:09 PM

1,851 posts, read 5,253,171 times
The closest thing I can think of to Georgetown in the triangle is Trinity Park area around Duke's east campus in Durham, as mentioned above. While it is probably the closest, its not that close...it does has a large number of good to spectacular restaurants within a long walk, lots of shops, and some big old houses the tobacco executives used to live in back in the 20's before they moved to Hope Valley. I do not think find a place to put in a pool there though.

Five points in raleigh comes close, with alot less options for restaurants and shops, and the size house you want is likely outside of your price range.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:10 PM

820 posts, read 2,546,463 times
Yeah you'll be pressed with those parameters. If you lose the shops and restaurants with in walking distance thing, you can find some good places in the 400's that meet your other criteria. Since you said 100k in renovations I am assuming you are ok with older homes. Two that come to mind are Brookhaven, only a couple of miles from Crabtree and a short drive to 5 points, and then Wyndham just off the 540 exit on Six Forks.

If you're looking for 5-4-door in the 400's I would really recommend checking out Wyndham. The lots are big, many well over .5 acres., some brick, and there are a lot of trees around. The neighborhood is ~ 18 years old and personally I think the homes should cost more based on what I have seen elsewhere around here.

http://aws1.co.wake.nc.us/realestate/ImpSales.asp?id=0181661&stype=addr&stnum=608&stnam e=grosvenor&locidList=&spg=1&cd=01&loc=608++GROSVE NOR+DR&des=LO43++PH1+BLDWYNDHA+BM1989%2D1265&pin=1 708454280 (broken link)

Old 12-12-2007, 09:16 PM

12,001 posts, read 28,241,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Ha! 5-4-and a door! This is exactly the type of house that we told our real estate agent to stop showing us or we'd fire her This is the prevalent architecture here. There was a period of time, I think in the 80's, when every builder put in subdivisions full of cheap versions of these, clad in vinyl or fiber-cement. Much like now with the faux-Craftsman style houses going up everywhere, especially in Holly Springs.
Hey now! We call those Colonials or Williamsburg Homes, which is what they were based on. I love them and yes, I do live in one!!!

Even though I sell the "open plans", I want no part of them. When hubby is in the cooking throwing pots and pans around, I can hardly hear the TV in the den! And I have walls!

Our homes go in time periods. In the '50s and '60s (yes, that was before my time), we had the split levels.

The '70s and '80s and even early '90s brough us the Williamsburg houses.

Now we are in the Craftsman stage and let us not forget the mini mansions!

I wonder what will be next? The Jetson's house???

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary