Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,501 times

Advertisements

Deer ate the flowers from my hydrangeas. Will they come back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 04:56 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsconway View Post
The deer or the hydrangeas?

Old 03-11-2016, 05:55 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Deer stay away from anything prickly, anything hairy. This is an easy way to select plants you are attracted to at the garden center. Walk down the aisles and only look at either prickly shrubs and flowers (includes shasta daisies and many hollies), or those that are covered in dense hairs (ornamental tobacco?). Deer love anything that looks like salad (hosta, pieris)with thin, smooth leaves.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:39 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
8) motion detector sprinkler head- UPS man was not amused!
Real lol'd when I read this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsconway View Post
The flowers will. They're pretty hardy. I had a kid from the neighborhood do landscaping for me one spring and I didn't ask him to touch the Hydrangea but he decided to cut the 4 foot high branches down almost to the ground. I actually teared up when I saw it. Hydrangeas set their flower buds each fall so I had no flowers that year but it rebounded about half it's former size in one growing season.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:45 AM

I don't have much experience with deer repellents but after reading what everyone has had to say here, I decided that when the time comes, I'll plant only deer resistant items in the front yard, and the all the showy, savory items in the back. Protected by a tall fence (HOA permitting) and a separate veggie garden protected by a second fence or a 'cage' type enclosure.

On Long Island, I typically put my nicest ornamentals in the front yard for everyone to enjoy but my worst pest here are bunnies and I've been able to thwart them with something called RabbitOut. It's made by a company called DeerOut. They claim their repellent works:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._hps_bw_g86_i1

My parents tried it with some success but they didn't keep up with the applications. Also since there's oil in it, I think that would damage flower buds.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:42 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,486 times
Informative post. Thank you.

I'm having challenges with bunnies and deer in my yard. The bunnies are huge and there are a family of 5 deer that love my wooded portion of the back yard and now have entered the non-wooded part which is resulting in eating everything.

I'm on the fence about putting up a fence, so reading about alternatives.

The deer have already eaten most of the euonymus shrubs I planted last year, the bunnies I'm sure are participating in eating various perennials, bulb plants etc.

I love wildlife so I really don't want to close them out...thinking about putting up deer fencing just around the shrubs/flowers but that may look hideous and you won't be able to enjoy the yard landscape...ugh lol

Yard will look to plain and boring to just grass over everything...lol

Old 03-11-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
Informative post. Thank you.

I'm having challenges with bunnies and deer in my yard. The bunnies are huge and there are a family of 5 deer that love my wooded portion of the back yard and now have entered the non-wooded part which is resulting in eating everything.

I'm on the fence about putting up a fence, so reading about alternatives.

The deer have already eaten most of the euonymus shrubs I planted last year, the bunnies I'm sure are participating in eating various perennials, bulb plants etc.

I love wildlife so I really don't want to close them out...thinking about putting up deer fencing just around the shrubs/flowers but that may look hideous and you won't be able to enjoy the yard landscape...ugh lol

Yard will look to plain and boring to just grass over everything...lol
no kudzu posted pictures of her deer fence and I couldn't even see it. The post and wire ones are much less noticeable, at least to me.

These could get expensive probably but they look good to me

Old 03-11-2016, 02:21 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,282 times
Here's what I've done for a deer fence:

First, I ordered some 7 1/2' mesh - Amazon.com : Tenax 60100109 Pro Deer Fence, Black, 7.5-Feet by 100-Feet : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Then, some fiberglass posts - Fiberglass Tree Stake/Fence Post - 3/4" x 8' - Growers Supply

On the tops of the posts, I put PVC connectors, and run aircraft-grade vinyl-covered cable through them to keep falling branches from destroying the fence.
Sling Tee PVC Fittings | FORMUFIT

I cut 2 1/2' sections of 1" conduit and pound at least a foot and a half of it into the ground every ten feet, then slip the poles into them. (with the connectors already attached). I roll out the fencing, attaching it to the poles with zip ties. Lastly, I run the cable through the connectors and attach it to 4x4s on both ends of the fence run. The poles bend but don't break, so the fence tends to snap back if a deer runs into it, unless it's attacking it with its hooves. We're doing a section of the yard at a time and hope to get the whole thing done in a year or two.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:51 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Claymore mines planted around the perimeter will prevent deer.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:57 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,419 times
A good dog also seems to keep them away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary