Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 12:19 PM

8 posts, read 8,089 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about moving to the Raleigh area from Minneapolis, MN and have some big questions we have been trying to get answered before taking an investigation type trip to the area. I just discovered this forum so I thought members may be able to help us. I lived in NC for about 3 years in my teens (about 45 yr's ago), and being a real Yankee from Massachusetts, for the most part I found the southern people friendly with no real Yankee Go Home bias. So it has always stayed with me with a feeling that I would like to move back some day. MN is a nice state but the winters are so cold and bitter that in retirement, we are seriously considering relocating to a warmer climate (with some mild winters for variety). Plus taxes in MN, even in retirement, are way too high, and the cost of living is no bargain either. So some of my questions are: > Have any forum members moved or retired to the Raleigh area and would you share your experience? > My hope is that the southern culture and friendliness is still there, is it? > Is crime low, politicians reasonably honest (regardless of party)? > Can a newcomer find good access to doctors without being hampered by closed practices (and acceptance of Medicare)? > Am I correct in my research that homes to buy, property tax, apartments, homeowner's insurance, electricity costs, etc., all relative to MN are much lower? Any and all feedback would be appreciated from local natives and anyone who has actually moved from MN (or a similar northern state) to NC.

Last edited by Freezing in MN; 05-22-2014 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Font messed up from copy and paste
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 01:13 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezing in MN View Post
Am I correct in my research that homes to buy, property tax, apartments, homeowner's insurance, electricity costs, etc., all relative to MN are much lower? Any and all feedback would be appreciated from local natives and anyone who has actually moved from MN (or a similar northern state) to NC.
While I found the area to be less expensive, it isn't drastically cheaper. I moved from MPLS in September. Taxes are certainly lower, but remember, so are many government services. As always, remember that there are tradeoffs; with the mild winters come much hotter summers, etc.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:39 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezing in MN View Post
My wife and I are thinking about moving to the Raleigh area from Minneapolis, MN and have some big questions we have been trying to get answered before taking an investigation type trip to the area. I just discovered this forum so I thought members may be able to help us. I lived in NC for about 3 years in my teens (about 45 yr's ago), and being a real Yankee from Massachusetts, for the most part I found the southern people friendly with no real Yankee Go Home bias.

Sometimes there are things you don't see as a teenager that you see as an adult. Raleigh is a very different place than it was in the late 60's. The growth has been almost immeasurable. There was quite a bit of racial tension back then because of the what was going on with the schools and all. Now, there are areas that are almost exclusively transplants and a someone from elsewhere would probably have the easiest time adjusting in those areas. Rural areas remain quite provincial and when I have chanced through some of the small country towns, sometimes I am astounded to find them unchanged (except some factories closing etc.) More recently, (past 20 years) the droves of outsiders has been overwhelming and there is resentment.

So it has always stayed with me with a feeling that I would like to move back some day. MN is a nice state but the winters are so cold and bitter that in retirement, we are seriously considering relocating to a warmer climate (with some mild winters for variety). Plus taxes in MN, even in retirement, are way too high, and the cost of living is no bargain either. So some of my questions are: > Have any forum members moved or retired to the Raleigh area and would you share your experience? >

My hope is that the southern culture and friendliness is still there, is it?

This has been discussed many times but my thoughts (as a native) are that Southern hospitality is more akin to politeness and social platitude than true kindness. Now I remember some of the old timers back then would sit down with you and talk with you for half an hour (sometimes on their porch) before getting down to business. For the most part, this is history. People seem to be much more impersonal, in a rush, or distracted these days. This applies to pretty much anywhere in the country though.

> Is crime low, politicians reasonably honest (regardless of party)?

Some parts of NC have terrible crime, some are much better. You would need to do some specific research. The politicians are the same ambitious, corrupt lowlifes you will find throughout the country now.. They don't answer to their constituency at all anymore. It used to be you could call someone who knew someone and get something done.. no more..

> Can a newcomer find good access to doctors without being hampered by closed practices (and acceptance of Medicare)? >

That's a good question for someone else as I am still on a private plan.

Am I correct in my research that homes to buy, property tax, apartments, homeowner's insurance, electricity costs, etc., all relative to MN are much lower?

Property taxes here aren't particularly low.. Good question for someone for MN with a point of reference.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated from local natives and anyone who has actually moved from MN (or a similar northern state) to NC.
-rr

Old 05-22-2014, 02:09 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
This has been discussed many times but my thoughts (as a native) are that Southern hospitality is more akin to politeness and social platitude than true kindness. Now I remember some of the old timers back then would sit down with you and talk with you for half an hour (sometimes on their porch) before getting down to business. For the most part, this is history. People seem to be much more impersonal, in a rush, or distracted these days. This applies to pretty much anywhere in the country though.
I would equate Southern Hospitality with Minnesota Nice. It can be interpreted as being a more passive aggressive thing, and in some cases, in the south, as in MN, it is a passive aggressive thing. But that isn't always true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Some parts of NC have terrible crime, some are much better. You would need to do some specific research. The politicians are the same ambitious, corrupt lowlifes you will find throughout the country now.. They don't answer to their constituency at all anymore. It used to be you could call someone who knew someone and get something done.. no more..
I have yet to see politicians that seem as clean as they are coming from MN, but that's just an opinion and based on no measurement or fact; but NC politicians don't seem to approach the same level of sleaziness one sees in parts of the Northeast or Chicago or Louisiana.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:19 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I have yet to see politicians that seem as clean as they are coming from MN, but that's just an opinion and based on no measurement or fact; but NC politicians don't seem to approach the same level of sleaziness one sees in parts of the Northeast or Chicago or Louisiana.
I don't know - in the past several years we've had a former governor (D), speaker of the house (D), ag commissioner (D), and others convicted of felonies.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I don't know - in the past several years we've had a former governor (D), speaker of the house (D), ag commissioner (D), and others convicted of felonies.
Give the Republican politicians time. They will have their day.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:33 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Give the Republican politicians time. They will have their day.
Oh I agree - the Dems just show up so much in recent years because they controlled state government from top to bottom for so long (and hence the source of much of their corruption). On the Republican side you've already got folks like LaRoque.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:37 PM

In the Triangle I can't imagine anybody having trouble getting quality medical care with Medicare...especially around the universities. I've never lived in a really cold climate (does D.C. count?) but I would imagine the A/C bills from May thru October would make up for heating bills in winter in MN.

But activities outdoors are pretty much year round here where my imagination thinks of frozen folks huddled around a heater for 3 or 4 months in MN. You won't need heavy coats and boots here. I think food costs about the same everywhere...too much but at least here we have a longer growing season (if you can keep the long legged rats -some call them deer- away from the garden).

As has been mentioned before there are so many transplants from all over the country here you would be hard pressed to find any real native Tar Heels. Cary stands for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:38 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
In the Triangle I can't imagine anybody having trouble getting quality medical care with Medicare...especially around the universities. I've never lived in a really cold climate (does D.C. count?) but I would imagine the A/C bills from May thru October would make up for heating bills in winter.

But activities outdoors are pretty much year round here where my imagination thinks of frozen folks huddled around a heater for 3 or 4 months in MN. You won't need heavy coats and boots here. I think food costs about the same everywhere...too much but at least here we have a longer growing season (if you can keep the long legged rats -some call them deer- away from the garden).

As has been mentioned before there are so many transplants from all over the country here you would be hard pressed to find any real native Tar Heels. Cary stands for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.
And just where were you for those snows we got this winter?

Old 05-22-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
And just where were you for those snows we got this winter?
Inside huddled around the heater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary