Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 04:01 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myNC View Post
My house is next to BMP. I don't have much of a problem except with mosquitos. They bother us until the HOA sprays something in the pond and the issue gets resolved. We are glad we have a pond next to the home as it offers privacy and adds additional beauty since it is fenced
Exactly how I feel, as well. Some of them have a water feature that lights up at night. I'd actually enjoy being next to that!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 05:24 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yeah. They are popular builders. Sorry, OP.
Actually I suspect the popularity is due to the fact that housing inventory is fairly low and Cary is the hot place that many newcomers want to move to (Chapel Hill is the other they mention). I relocate ppl here from all over the country. It never ceases to amaze me that during the interview process when I am determining their level of knowledge of the area, most of the them say they've heard Cary is where they need to live if they have kids. These same ppl can't even pronounce Raleigh properly, yet they've heard of Cary.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Inventory is low. We have lots of buyers. We are in a seller's market.

Be careful. Be very careful.

Anything you ask about as to whether or not it is a negative will be asked by the next buyer when you are ready to sell. If inventory is plentiful, another buyer may choose the home across the street that isn't near any negatives.

Having said that, I've seen many retention ponds that look very pretty. Many are fenced. Some have water features.

It wouldn't bother me to be close but it all depends on the look (for me)!

As others have said, there will be frogs and mosquitoes. Another thing to consider is if the water level gets low in the retention pond, how will it be affected?

Right now, bidding wars are not unusual. Even our appraisers are willing to push up values (they didn't do this in the past few years). My concern is that when inventory picks up, any type of negative that a buyer of today is willing to ignore, may not be ignored if there are others homes to choose.

Vicki
This is true! Especially your last sentence, I've seen this happen here over the years. People get really, really picky when it's a buyer's market. It's human nature I guess?

Old 05-24-2014, 05:43 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Actually I suspect the popularity is due to the fact that housing inventory is fairly low and Cary is the hot place that many newcomers want to move to (Chapel Hill is the other they mention). I relocate ppl here from all over the country. It never ceases to amaze me that during the interview process when I am determining their level of knowledge of the area, most of the them say they've heard Cary is where they need to live if they have kids. These same ppl can't even pronounce Raleigh properly, yet they've heard of Cary.
Would you mind educating a few of them about all of the over lovely suburbs around here?

Cary is getting really crowded, very quickly. If it slowed down around here, I still think builders and realtors would be making out very well anyway.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Would you mind educating a few of them about all of the over lovely suburbs around here?

Cary is getting really crowded, very quickly. If it slowed down around here, I still think builders and realtors would be making out very well anyway.

fat chance of them looking anywhere else as they don't understand our school system and have heard that schools in Cary (& Chapel Hill) are where it's at. We all know differently. There are many fine schools in our county. but I could talk until I'm blue in the face and as they saw it on the web that Cary is the place to live if you want to work in RTP/Durham, then it must be true I tell them about Morrisville, SW Durham, Brier Creek and NWRaleigh, which is on the edge of RTP and 15 mins. from downtown Durham.
Many of them read CD....so be careful what you say

Because of the Wake Co school issue - past politics, crowding in some schools, etc.., for the past year I've been more seeing potential newcomers deciding to look at Chapel Hill instead of Wake Co. So I guess they are next on the list for Cary growth type issues, but it's quite a ways down the road. Pittsboro is another place that is catching their attention.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
Quote:
I live in one of the builder's neighborhoods and they're careful with retention ponds.
The great unknown is what happens when the builder leaves and the HOA takes over maintenance.

I personally would never buy a lot next to one, if for no other reason than impact on future resale. (And who knows if it will be a buyer or seller market when the time comes to sell. )

Old 05-25-2014, 01:14 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
The great unknown is what happens when the builder leaves and the HOA takes over maintenance.

I personally would never buy a lot next to one, if for no other reason than impact on future resale. (And who knows if it will be a buyer or seller market when the time comes to sell. )
True. This development has been completed since 2012 and the builder is still involved with the HOA.

I wouldn't buy near a retention pond, but mosquitoes adore me.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:35 AM

379 posts, read 749,103 times
My experience selling a home here is that people cared way more about my house being next to the retention pond than they did about road noise. I was surprised, as up north a pond can be very desirable. Like yours, the three lots next to the pond were the last to go. That should have been my clue.

Sure enough, I had 90% of my viewers tell me "great house, but the pond."

Not a mistake I'll make again. I would advise you to steer clear.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:49 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
I wish that it was more economically feasible for developers to install bio-retention BMPs rather than open ponds.
They are much more attractive than many stormwater ponds, but just take up too much space, I guess.

The church on Davis Drive, adjacent to Davis Drive Soccer Park has one that is about 300 feet long, and is very attractive.
TOC installed one at the Walnut Creek Park.
101_1255 by mikejaquish, on Flickr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary