Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 01:50 PM

128 posts, read 216,149 times

Advertisements

Hi all! It's been a while since I've posted, but certainly been reading along! We are FINALLY going to the beach tomorrow after almost 2 years here and I am a bit overwhelmed by the numerous good choices. We have 4 boys to keep occupied (2 teens and 2 little ones, 3 & 5) and we'd like to go to a beach that although family-friendly isn't too crowded to enjoy. We are trying to stay within a 2 1/2 hour drive and I have narrowed it down to Kure Beach, Holden Beach, Emerald Isle. Would appreciate input on these (or others) where we can enjoy our first family trip to the NC beaches and have some peace, fun and parking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 08:30 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,663,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariposa10 View Post

Hi all! It's been a while since I've posted, but certainly been reading along! We are FINALLY going to the beach tomorrow after almost 2 years here and I am a bit overwhelmed by the numerous good choices. We have 4 boys to keep occupied (2 teens and 2 little ones, 3 & 5) and we'd like to go to a beach that although family-friendly isn't too crowded to enjoy. We are trying to stay within a 2 1/2 hour drive and I have narrowed it down to Kure Beach, Holden Beach, Emerald Isle. Would appreciate input on these (or others) where we can enjoy our first family trip to the NC beaches and have some peace, fun and parking!
It's a holiday weekend....they will all be busy. Get there early if you need a place to park.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:22 PM

Thanks ScarletG! I guess that's to be expected. I was hoping since there are so many beautiful beaches to choose from here that the crowds would be more spread out, unlike in NY where the options of nice beaches are limited. I will cross my fingers for a good parking spot and minimal crowds!

Old 05-25-2014, 09:51 PM

34,936 posts, read 36,076,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariposa10 View Post
Thanks ScarletG! I guess that's to be expected. I was hoping since there are so many beautiful beaches to choose from here that the crowds would be more spread out, unlike in NY where the options of nice beaches are limited. I will cross my fingers for a good parking spot and minimal crowds!
They'll be crowded. This is why I avoid the NC beaches on holidays.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:16 PM

RedZin, for once the stars aligned and not only are kids off from school, but both my husband and I have the day off from work....so off to the beach FINALLY and yikes, the crowds! For a non-holiday beach day, which beaches are good for families with kids and yet not too crowded? Thanks!

Old 05-25-2014, 10:24 PM

600 posts, read 1,217,277 times
we went to Kure beach today. We left here at 7:30, stopped at McDs for breakfast, and got there before 10. There was plenty of parking then and we got a great spot on the beach. When we ran to the car at noon to grab our lunch from the big cooler, we noticed it was packed and people were circling for a space. We had a wonderful day. It was not too crowded. Good luck!

Old 05-25-2014, 10:32 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,142,585 times
Oak Island is more crowded that I EVER remember it!

We don't usually get to the beach until after lunch but we always find parking. There are plenty of public parking areas.

For a day trip, I have friends who swear by Wrightsville Beach because of there being more bathrooms around. Can anyone verify this?

There aren't many bathrooms at Oak Island except for the pier and I don't like being too close to the pier because that is the most crowded space.

I say go for it! When it comes to parking, I am usually lucky. Go to the front row...those are the people that have been there the longest and will be going home the soonest! If you time it just right, you'll end up with a front row parking spot!

Enjoy!

Vicki

Old 05-26-2014, 07:48 AM

Thanks shellsd and VickiR!! I am off to the beach!! I appreciate everyone's input. I can't wait to get there!! Happy Memorial Day to ya'll!!

Old 05-26-2014, 07:59 AM
DPK

4,593 posts, read 5,690,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Oak Island is more crowded that I EVER remember it!
It's actually kind of funny how the Island exploded, population wise Friday night / Saturday morning. We were there all last week and it was fairly desolate where we were. Then Memorial Day weekend hit and BOOM, traffic and people everywhere.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:38 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,142,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
It's actually kind of funny how the Island exploded, population wise Friday night / Saturday morning. We were there all last week and it was fairly desolate where we were. Then Memorial Day weekend hit and BOOM, traffic and people everywhere.
EXACTLY!

Even a few weeks ago, there were about 6 people on the beach!

Yesterday...must have been about 600!!!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary