Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 03:55 PM

750 posts, read 853,913 times

Advertisements

Has anybody moved to N Raleigh, found an area and house and bought it all within 2 months of arriving in the triangle? My husband seems to think this is achievable but I'm uncertain and think we may pick an area we don't like or the wrong house for us. Is he being ambitious or have others managed this successfully?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 04:10 PM

715 posts, read 889,081 times
I would rent first make sure it's the right spot for you then purchase since there are so many areas here and you probably have no idea they exist. Don't want to rush a major purchase like a house. Good luck!!

Old 05-25-2014, 04:13 PM

We were hoping not to rent first because we don't want to move twice. Also we know the school our kids will be in do that probably cuts down our choice a but cos we will want to be as near as reasonably possible.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:15 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Many people do relocate here, spend an intense 4 to 5 days to narrow down the areas they don't like, find the area they DO like and find the neighborhood and then the house. Lenders can get most loans closed in 30 to 60 days.

Those people do all that because either their company is paying for them to buy a home OR they want to make sure their kids get into the school they like and don't want to have to move twice.

Is it easier to rent for a few months? Yes. If you want a bit less stress, sometimes renting is the way to go. Don't sign a year's lease because if you are coming from a house, you will not be happy in an apt. for that long. You may pay a bit more for a 3 to 6 month lease but you'll come out ahead instead of breaking the 1 year lease.

Vicki

Old 05-25-2014, 04:17 PM

Are there many houses that allow 3-6 month lease?

Old 05-25-2014, 04:19 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
Are there many houses that allow 3-6 month lease?
No, not many.

Our rentals are in low inventory, like our homes for sale.

Most houses want a 1 year lease.

Some apt. complexes will allow you to rent for a short 3 to 6 months.

Vicki

Old 05-25-2014, 04:26 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
When my friend and her husband moved back to the US from England (well, she moved back, he's from there) they rented a house in a neighborhood that they thought they might like (Falls River) and the landlord wound up wanting to sell it during their lease period. So... they didn't have to move.

They eventually sold it and bought another in Falls River... and sold that one and bought another. They've been there since 2003, I think?

They own another home now and they rent out their Falls River home, so it's a good place to look for a house, because they never lack for a renter on that property.

Perhaps you could do something like that? Go for a rental where you know you'd like to buy and then just wait for the right property to show up?

Your kids will be at Ravenscroft (if memory serves from your past threads) and a place like Falls River or Bedford would be very convenient. Of course, I have no idea what size home/price range you were wanting, so the area may or may not be what you were thinking, but you get the general idea.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:39 PM

That was lucky for them! Ideal situation. We will be in a serviced rented appt for 4-6 weeks paid for by DHs work whilst we await our container. So we could stay there a few more weeks and pay ourselves if we quickly found something. Don't know how likely that is to happen.

Will go look at falls river...

Old 05-25-2014, 04:43 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
It's a sellers market right now. Houses don't sit on the market long unless they need major work or are overpriced. The 2 months will depend on how quickly you find one you like.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:51 PM

And my husband thinks I'm fussy so possibly won't like the first one. Then there's the snakes the consider :-D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: