Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 07:27 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,863,564 times

Advertisements

I received an email yesterday from 'The Friends of Crooked Creek' who are homeowners on the Golf Course who stand to lose out substantially if they no longer live on a golf course as Lot premiums evaporate. I admire the action they are taking, but it may be 'too little too late' as it seems difficult to stop developments once the wheels begin to turn. I guess someone working at the Golf Club shared the email address file to FOCC of people who have played the course and receive email offers on an regular basis.

As someone who generally supports the underdog I hope their efforts are successful as they seem to have done a good job getting a website up and running explaining the situation they find themselves in and the actions they are considering. Good luck to them as I can only imagine the misery the homeowners with Golf Course lots are suffering with all this taking place around them and seemingly out of their control with the July 5th closure date looming. Here is the link to the website they have set up.

Friends of Crooked Creek - FOCC Home

Last edited by Beermat; 04-22-2015 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 06:51 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
They have some persuasive arguments and I certainly see their point. It will be interesting to see how their suit turns out. I guess that is a warning to anyone. Read your covenants and restrictions carefully. On the other hand I Can't buy their traffic argument. Another hundred or so homes there will make no impact on traffic and I'm fairly certain there were people against Crooked Creek being developed in the first place.

I've recently heard ads on radio for Crooked Creek pointing out it is closing soon. If it truly is losing money I can't see how they can make them keep it open. Perhaps if the resign dents were willing to invest some money and form a corporation to purchase and run it it might work, but running a golf course is definitely not as easy as it was a few years ago.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 04-23-2015 at 07:03 AM..

Old 05-15-2015, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 927 times
The owners never were particularly interested in RUNNING a golf course...at least for the last ten years when we were members. Never saw them there and they essentially wanted the course to fail. Kept the prices high, refused to work with the membership who finally gave up and went to Bentwinds. They had the worst greens in the area for several years and ignored the pleas at member meetings. If the place was bought by ClubCorp it would be a success as they are tops in member satisfaction and promotion. From the snack bar (great staff and good food) to the course condition, it has been unpromoted and ignored by the owners and run into the ground. They got what they wanted...land to develop. The skuttlebutt is that Withers is going to hand it over to his son for development. If they are as inept at construction as they are at owning a golf course it will be bellyup in 2 years...

Old 07-29-2015, 12:43 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I think it is horrible that people buy a home that is on a golf course, thinking it will remain a golf course and then it doesn't.

Just doesn't seem fair.

Injunction filed against Crooked Creek Golf Course development | News & Observer

Old 07-29-2015, 03:08 PM

Should serve as a good example to use when you tell homeowners to read their documents. Hard to believe that two sides could interpret it so differently.

That story is a bit old, the last I heard, the judge had ruled against them and the course is closed and they are selling off the equipment. Evidently they have not been able to get anyone to buy the lots as no one wants to be in the middle of a dispute.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:27 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Should serve as a good example to use when you tell homeowners to read their documents. Hard to believe that two sides could interpret it so differently.

That story is a bit old, the last I heard, the judge had ruled against them and the course is closed and they are selling off the equipment. Evidently they have not been able to get anyone to buy the lots as no one wants to be in the middle of a dispute.
I heard that the court ruled in favor of the golf course owners and that they are planning to develop the closed golf course into 100 homes.

Depending on what they build, I doubt the new buyers will care about the dispute since it is settled.

There was a shopping center to be built near my home (Strickland Road). Neighbors went to all the court dates to protest the shopping center. It was a huge deal. Developers won. Shopping center was built. Most of my neighbors shop there today.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:59 PM

I think they were hoping to sell the land to one of the Nationals or at least a larger group to develop it and none of them would touch it due to the controversy.

I'm guessing they are either going to have to wait a while or develop it themselves and sell to builders individually.

For the shopping center, same thing happenned here with Park West Village. People went insane about it. The mayor was leading the charge against it. Didn't stop her going to the groundbreaking and ribbon cutting and certainly doesn't stop people shopping there or enjoying the much better traffic flow due to the widening of the roads that were screwed up before the constriction started.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:56 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I think it is horrible that people buy a home that is on a golf course, thinking it will remain a golf course and then it doesn't.

Just doesn't seem fair.

Injunction filed against Crooked Creek Golf Course development | News & Observer
I agree. How would Mr. Ravenel feel if the shoe was on the other foot? He certainly wouldn't want the golf course in his neighborhood (MacGregor Downs) closed and turned into homes, now would he?

Old 07-30-2015, 03:26 PM

342 posts, read 872,027 times
Yeah they had the auction the other day and sold off the equipment. I wonder if they add that many more houses if the people living in Crooked Creek neighborhoods will get a bigger pool? Wonder how that will work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary